Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

877 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2013 5:17 PM by Rich in NH RSS
Deniseknight777 Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 17, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 26, 2013 8:34 AM

What MP should I shoot for?

I did the majority of my long runs (16,17,20,22 miles) at 8:25ish avg, give or take a few secs. At first I was shooting for an 8:23 pace for the marathon in hopes to BQ. But having done my long training runs at MP without much effort, what should I shoot for at the actual race? If I'd have slowed down any more during my training runs it would've actually been harder for me to complete the mileage. Is shooting for an 8:12 avg (3:35 total time) lofty or should I be able to do faster?

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Nov 26, 2013 11:26 AM (in response to Deniseknight777)

You need to provide more info:  First you should not run your LR's at MP or even close to MP.  On some advance  plans they will have you doing some miles on your LR's at MP.

What plan are you using?

What is your MPW not the highest total but ave for your cycle?

What is your age and sex

How many marathons have you ran?

What are some of your most resent race times, best would be a 1/2 time then a 10K or 10 mile time would also help.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Nov 27, 2013 7:58 AM (in response to Deniseknight777)

This is at best a guess, you can put your half time into a running calculator like Macmillan they tend to be a little aggressive on their times if you are not running 70+ Miles Per Week (MPW).  I think 3:40-3:45 based on your 1/2 time of around 1:42 and your 10K time around 46.  But if you were able to sign while running miles 15-20 you may be in 3:35 shape?  Wise less aggressive plan pace for 8:30, aggressive plan pace for 8:10-8:12 but that could lead to a long last 10K.  One thing to remember is that if you have to run 3:35 you have to pace a little faster because you are going to run more than 26.2 for me it's all ways about 26.60ish so that extra 800 will add 4-6 mins to your time!  Good luck

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    4. Nov 27, 2013 5:17 PM (in response to Deniseknight777)
    Re: What MP should I shoot for?

One calculator says to double your half marathon time and add 10 minutes to get your marathon time.  In your case that works out to about a 3:38 marathon and an 8:20 pace.

It's tough, because if you bite off more than you can chew, you won't know it 'til late in the race and things can get ugly in a hurry.  If it were me, I'd probably start out conservatively and see how I feel at 20 miles. 

If this is just your second marathon, treat it as a learning experience.   If you feel good at 20, drop the pace and finish strong, then you know a BQ is possible.  If not, finish at a comfortable pace, adjust your training and go from there.

And good luck!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points