Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

664 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 28, 2013 3:18 AM by ydiez
bugspit99 Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 27, 2013 11:14 AM

C25k week 7 question

Hello everyone,

I was looking for some advice.  I started the C25K program 6 weeks ago and I still remember looking back at week 2 and getting ill on my runs and barely able to complete the 90 seconds with out gasping for air.  I have worked on many things including, my stride, breathing and over all form.  I learned its not about how  fast, but to find a pace I am comfortable with right now.

My question is I just finished week 6 and I am already running 5k with no problems at all.  I can go 30 minutes and longer, Monday night I attemped running 10k and completed it, not fast (1:26) but still enjoyed the run.  Looking ahead into weeks 7-9 I noticed there are no longer walk/run intervals, but straight runs after the warmup walk.  Since I am comfy with these times should I move onto another program such as 5k - 10k?  or still complete the C25K, even though after the 25 minute - 30 minute run in these weeks I want to keep going?

Thanks for any comments.

• ydiez Pro 134 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 28, 2013 3:18 AM (in response to bugspit99)
    C25k week 7 question

First of all, congratulations, you are now "officially" a runner!

As you get comfortable in your runs new challenges appear. Amongst these, two of the most frequent ones are burnout and unjuries due to overtraining. So, it is definetely a plus to progress steadily but slowly.

Answering your question, I would tell you to complete your C25K plan, maybe take the oportunity to focus on aspects such as your running technique or trying to improve speed slightly. After that (if I understand you correctly you only have 3 weeks left) I would decide on other goals (specific race time or a brigge to 10k program come to mind). As a rule of thumb, it is generally not recommended to increase your mileage more than 10% each week.

As I said at the begining, congratulations on completing the plan. Now you can keep on going to become the runner you want to be, just do not push it and enjoy the ride!

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points