Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2147452 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 741 742 743 744 745 ... 760 Previous Next
  • shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,130. Nov 26, 2013 7:34 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

SeeFluffyRun wrote:

Inspiration time:

1395325_10202559925145602_1081909121_n.jpg

Nice!

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    11,131. Nov 26, 2013 10:20 AM (in response to SpartanJD01)
    200+ Pound Club!

Spartan are you icing it or taking an anti inflamatory?  Personally, I would ice it and keep it raised, try an ankle brace before the race and see how it goes.  If it seems okay, then I would do the run.  But listen to your  body.  If pain becomes more intense, stop running and call it a day.  Oh, first, what kind of terrain are you running on?  If it is uneven or has loose gravel, I wouldn't risk it.  You may cause more damage.

Those are my two cents..for what it is worth.  LOL

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• SpartanJD01 Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012
    11,132. Nov 26, 2013 11:31 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Im running the Detroit Turkey Trot.  All Road, but it is downtown Detroit, I will watch for potholes.  I havent taken any anti-inflamatories or iced.  I will try some of both tonight and give it a test with an ankle brace tomorrow night.

• ErikMiller93 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 7, 2013
    11,133. Nov 26, 2013 2:50 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I just ran across this post (board rather)... how exciting! I started on June 26, 2013 at 317 lbs. As of today, I am 258 lbs, and ran my fifth 5k since August this past Sunday. I ran my first 5k with some buddies, they were gracious while I apologized for being so slow, they are in excellent shape and had previously run a few Spartan Races and some sprint distance triathalons. Now, this first 5k, I went CRAZY... I signed us up for an obstacle course 5k!! The entire 75 minutes of this run, I was thinking "Uh oh, What did I just do?". Needless to say, I made it! My next 5k was on October 13th, the next was on October 27th, "real" 5k number three was on November 16th, and #4(5 if you count the obstacle debacle in August) was this past Sunday November 24th. Here are my paces for these runs...

October 13: 14:38/mi

October 27: 14:22/mi

November 16: 13:02/mi

November 24: 11:45/mi

I am striving to improve EVERY run. I still HATE running, and try taalking myself out of each 5k every morning of the race. I question myself every step throughout the first 2 miles, then during the last mile I just tell myself it's almost over... Then when I am finished, I am elated and SO glad that I ran it.

Point is this, I was a BIG guy. I AM STILL a BIG guy. I am working on it everyday! Get up off of the couch and get moving. How does the saying go? "It doesn't matter how slow you go, you are lapping everyone sitting on the couch!" Keep it up everyone!!

• CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,134. Nov 27, 2013 5:50 AM (in response to ErikMiller93)
    200+ Pound Club!

Fluffy: I love your posts and am so sorry about your Mom.I have a friend whose SO was just diagnosed with the same disease and he is gradually recovering in a local rehab. Good luck to your Mom and God help you with all your burdens. Both my parents are also sick, Cancer and Alzheimers, so I understand the burden of sick family.

Shipo: I also live on a farm with retired horses. They keep me grounded, and poor, but they worked hard for me and I promised them a few well deserved golden years. I am also writing a book which seems more of a write delete write delete exercise but it will progress. Good luck in the Detroit race.

All: I screwed up my "good knee" and took 2 weeks off to recover so no Turkey trot for me tomorrow. Instead my daughter and I are taking a hike along the Florida Trail then my favorite thing for dinner...reservations... ...Good luck to all of you racing tomorrow and have a Blessed Thanksgiving

Aug 9, 2013
    11,135. Nov 27, 2013 10:37 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

CynceRN wrote:

Shipo: I also live on a farm with retired horses. They keep me grounded, and poor, but they worked hard for me and I promised them a few well deserved golden years. I am also writing a book which seems more of a write delete write delete exercise but it will progress. Good luck in the Detroit race.

All: I screwed up my "good knee" and took 2 weeks off to recover so no Turkey trot for me tomorrow. Instead my daughter and I are taking a hike along the Florida Trail then my favorite thing for dinner...reservations... ...Good luck to all of you racing tomorrow and have a Blessed Thanksgiving

Too funny, I ended up on the farm because I got "poor" first and needed an inexpensive place to live so we're both kinda-sorta in the same boat, just got there from different directions.

Regarding the writing, I started back when I had my broken leg in 2003; I'd had this story rattling around in my head for a couple of years at that point, and when I sat down to write, I was stunned to see that I wrote like 800 pages in just three months.  Now that I've spent some time on technique I go back and read that first manuscript, and while I very much enjoy the story, I cringe at the syntactical structure.  Truth be told, there is enough drama, violence, triumph, and good old fashioned sex to make it a publishable story, IF, I was to go back and rewrite it from scratch, and that may well not happen until I retire. 

Bummer on the Turkey Trot thing; take care of your knees during your hike.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,136. Nov 27, 2013 10:47 AM (in response to SpartanJD01)
    200+ Pound Club!

SpartanJD01 wrote:

Im running the Detroit Turkey Trot.  All Road, but it is downtown Detroit, I will watch for potholes.  I havent taken any anti-inflamatories or iced.  I will try some of both tonight and give it a test with an ankle brace tomorrow night.

See you at Cobo tomorrow morning. 

Looks like it is going to be a brisk 21°F with snow flurries at race time; guess I won't be racing in shorts. 

Aug 9, 2013
    11,137. Nov 28, 2013 9:29 AM (in response to shipo)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

On this cold snowy Thanksgiving morning I managed to log a 48:24 on a course which was diabolically slippery, especially the tar strips, the paint work, and the man-hole covers.  Even though my time wasn't anywhere near as fast as I was hoping for, I'm thinking the conditions had something to do with it as I was able to place 11th in the 55-59 age group our of 222 finishers; this at least is way better than I had hoped for. 

Sep 6, 2013
    11,138. Nov 29, 2013 5:42 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Shipo: congrats on the race. It was 31 degrees here, breezy but no flurries...The hike was great and I am longing to run but being cautious. I don't think I am quite ready.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,139. Nov 29, 2013 6:19 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks! 

Good move on forcing your brain to listen to your body and being cautious; the thing many of us runners learn sooner or later (later in my case) is that the mind and the body don't get along. 

Sep 2, 2009
    11,140. Nov 30, 2013 8:07 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving. Anyone venture out for Black Friday?  We didn't. I stayed home and cleaned house.  I just feel awful. I was going to meet the running group this morning and walk, since I can't run.  I packed up everything for my family and me and well....I never heard the alarm.  I have never planned to be there and didn't show up.  UGH!!

Cyn:  Ya know I hadn't heard much about GBS and I know it is rare but thankfully some people have shared that they know someone and they recovered.  It is a long process.

I am not going to complain about the weather here (40s) because you guys seem to have it colder than I do. 

Today is Local Saturday so support your local running store if it is a mom and pop shop!  I have given my family a list of things I want from ours.  Between my recent anniversary, my birthday tomorrow and Christmas, I should get most of the items. LOL

But man my calf seems to cramp at weird times.  I am still doing my exercises for it.  I hope it heals soon. I do not like pool running.

Restarted 04/01/2013

Sep 2, 2009
    11,141. Nov 30, 2013 8:17 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

f9a5166542242ffc4782b0de7dffd767.jpg

Restarted 04/01/2013

Sep 6, 2013
    11,142. Dec 3, 2013 5:30 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Morning run/walk seemes to have been a success....I walked 2 miles but jogged about 1/8 mile twice and so far no pain or even soreness...cross your fingers i miss running

Aug 9, 2013
    11,143. Dec 3, 2013 6:24 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Fingers crossed. 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...