Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

574 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2013 6:02 AM by lenzlaw
Neilzz Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 5, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 5, 2013 7:51 PM

Long run changes blister patterns forever?

Always an athlete, never really a runner and just did my first half about 3 weeks ago in philly. I had done 10 miles before that but averaged 4 miles every few days before. Band aided my toes for the half as they had gotten blistered on the 10; about 11 miles in, I got new blisters on the inside of my feet.

Long story short; they had gone away but now recur when they never did before. In work shoes (walk about 4 miles each day) when they had never bothered me before; just now I played a soccer game and got the inside of the foot blisters again and a few toe ones as well. THIS HAD NEVER HAPPENED PRIOR and I had been playing for my whole life.

Anyone else experience this? How do I get them to go away other than putting on band aids every day??? Thank you for your help and expertise!!

• shipo Legend 495 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Dec 6, 2013 6:08 AM (in response to Neilzz)
    Re: Long run changes blister patterns forever?

When I was young I used to blister a lot, heels, ball of the foot, big toes, between the toes; you name it, I blistered there.  Over the last several years I've abandoned my "go as fast as I can" mentality from when I was young, and stared concentrating on LSD (Long Slow Distance).  Why is this relevant?  This year is a good example; prior to July, I had never run more than 170 miles in any one month (and that 170 mile month was done back in 1979), however, in July I ran 218 long and very slow miles (it was really friggin' hot and humid around here in July), and with the exception of a couple of very minor blisters between my third and fourth toes on both feet (easily remedied by rubbing petroleum jelly between the toes before each run), I had no blisters.  What I attribute the lack of blistering to is all of the long slow miles which have significantly toughened the skin on my feet.

In September I got recruited to run on a 6-person Reach the Beach relay team as a very last minute replacement (all of two days before the event).  Even though my five other team mates had been working toward this 205+ mile relay for some time, and, in theory at least, had been training for it, I was the only one who finished all six legs (totalling 32.8 miles) with no blisters.

Long story short, let your feet heal up, and then start running at a slower pace than your used to and then start extending your miles.  As a side benefit, once your feet have toughened up, the rest of your body will benefit from the extra miles as well and I predict that your half marathon times will come down significantly.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Dec 6, 2013 6:02 AM (in response to Neilzz)
    Re: Long run changes blister patterns forever?

Well, something is rubbing somewhere.  The question is what and where.  The first thing that comes to mind is shoes that are not well fitted and/or have "hot spots".  If your shoes are a little narrow for your foot, it is easy for them to rub at the arch (I presume that's what you mean by "the inside" of your feet.  If the shoes are not long enough (1/2 to a full size larger than your street shoes), end-of-toe blisters are common.  Hot spots are basically something inside the shoe, a seam, some odd stitching, an edge of the insole, etc., that rubs (I have had all of these in different shoes).  Socks are another source of blisters.  Hopefully you're not running in cotton socks, which retain moisture and are more prone to friction and bunching than synthetic materials.  Toe socks are another help in minimizing blisters on and between your toes.

Of course, you have to give them time to heal.  And the newly healed skin tends to be softer and more prone to more blisters.  Meanwhile you have to figure out what is causing them and fix that.  Lots of long, slow miles may or may not be in your future.  But I suggest you try to find the cause of your blisters first.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points