Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1307 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2013 7:07 PM by shipo
LynnMcQueen Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 12, 2013 9:26 AM

Treadmill vs. elliptical

I usually run about 25 miles per week including speedwork and long runs. I have never run on a treadmill or used an elliptical machine, but this winter is really killing me. It's either freezing or raining all the time. I'm thinking of getting one or the other, but don't know which would be best. I still plan to do the vast majority of my running outside, and would fall back on the indoor machine only when the weather is awful. Any thoughts on whether a treadmill or elliptical would be a better option?

• Haselsmasher Legend 514 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Dec 13, 2013 6:15 PM (in response to LynnMcQueen)
    Treadmill vs. elliptical

If it were me making the decision for myself I wouldn't even think twice:  get a treadmill.

Maybe this says it:  I very much prefer to run outside.  I'm a member at a gym and when I go inside what do I go to?  The treadmill.  Every.  Single.  Time.  (I do other stuff - I'm talking about when it's time to run and I don't want to go outside.) 

I don't care for the treadmill.  I *despise* the elliptical.  Think about how boring the treadmill is.  Now triple that for the elliptical.  Maybe it's just me, but they don't work for me at all.

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• shipo Legend 459 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Dec 13, 2013 7:11 PM (in response to Haselsmasher)
    Treadmill vs. elliptical

Tuesday it was freezing rain and sleet, and today it was lots of wind driven snow.  Both days I walked out of the locker room at my office, past the dreadmills, and past the ellipticals, out to the back parking lot and on into the cemetery next to our campus.

For me it's simple, dreadmills and ellipticals are for hanging sweaty running clothes on, nothing more, nothing less. 

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Dec 14, 2013 3:51 AM (in response to LynnMcQueen)
    Treadmill vs. elliptical

A treadmill allows you to continue running. It most closely approximates what you do outdoors. Ultimately, to be the best runner you can be, you have to run. An elliptical would provide you a form of cross training. It provides relief from the pounding. Cross training is a legitimate thing to do, if you need it.

Personally, I just suck it up, put on some additional layers to stay warm and go running. Once you're doing it, its almost never as bad as it seems when you're looking at the outside from indoors. My exception is when there a layer of ice. I have a treadmill and it got me through my first winter's running. But as the years have clicked by, I've become more and more an "all-weather runner".

If you choose an indoor exercise option, movies on a TV, laptop, or tablet in front of the machine really alleviates boredom.

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    4. Dec 14, 2013 4:13 AM (in response to LynnMcQueen)
    Treadmill vs. elliptical

Instead of a treadmill or an eliptical- what I have personally chosen is to join a gym with an indoor track.

It's not ideal- but to me, it is far, FAR preferrable to the indignity of a machine. Occasionally I will swim laps- that is an awesome workout as well.

I will say I really respect the folks who will run outside no matter what the weather- in fact I used to be one of them. I am definitely an outdoor guy- I work out door about 8-9 months out of the year-and I make sure I am outdoors hours each day,regaurdless of weather 365 days a year--------------------

but, at this point in my life------ discretion is the better part of valor.  At my age the wrong slip ,on the wrong ice and my work career will be over. I won't be recovering while remaining  economically productive in a warm office, LOL- I will just be done working.

BTW- tried screw shoes-and I walk miles each day in yak traks- but this year I have eliminated winter outdoor running. the risk just isn't worth it to me. Temp. isn't really a factor- in fact I strongly prefer running outdoors in 15-20 degree weather---- (compared to 80-85 degrees). right up untill there is ice/snow on the ground and then I am  in to a nice indoor track

Best wishes, all,

stephen

Aug 9, 2013
    5. Dec 14, 2013 6:16 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)
    Treadmill vs. elliptical

SMARIETTA wrote:

but, at this point in my life------ discretion is the better part of valor.  At my age the wrong slip ,on the wrong ice and my work career will be over. I won't be recovering while remaining  economically productive in a warm office, LOL- I will just be done working.

Yeah, I'm only 56 and have only broken each leg once so I'm still young, dumb and stupid.  Maybe I'll learn that all important lesson of discretion as I get older and more mature. 

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    6. Dec 14, 2013 9:47 AM (in response to shipo)
    Treadmill vs. elliptical

shippo- you would be the best judge if you are young,dumb and stupid- I wouldn't know----- but you DO have an office job to fall back on.

my income is dependent on my ability to climb ladders, scaffolding and 20/12 pitches- and I can't do that from crutches or at ground level. broken bones in both feet, a surgically repaired knee, and having a flying projectile removed from my eyeball over the last 30 years has taught me that much.

If I had an office job- I would probably still run in yak tracks in the winter- I did up untill january '12. all in all, I would rather work outdoors  8-9 months a year- than run out doors in the ice--so we all do what we gotta do, I guess ,

Best wishes all,

stephen

Aug 9, 2013
    7. Dec 14, 2013 7:07 PM (in response to SMARIETTA)
    Treadmill vs. elliptical

Sorry Stephen, I wasn't in any way trying to take a shot at you, my post was simply a lame attempt at humor.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points