Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6784 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2014 3:20 AM by DipMom RSS 1 2 Previous Next
txth Amateur 9 posts since
Nov 22, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 23, 2013 6:57 AM

New to running, doing C25K, literally started from the couch - Sharing the Progress

Hi folks!

I started C25k fairly recently and now feel the desire to share my progress and also improve on it where I can, so I found the forum behind the guide and signed up .

So where do I start.. I guess with my name, being Thomas. I'm living in southwest Germany, and I started running quite recently. Why did I start? Well, lets break it down to two main reasons: Being annoyed by my lack of stamina in general, and having two friends who are big into running, being quite the motivation. Both are running for longer and are quite good. He just ran a full marathon last weekend, she is doing a halfmarathon as I am typing that. She sent me the link to C25K, while I was sitting on my couch after work, almost 4 weeks ago. That was the day I started running. Half an hour later I was outside, doing Day 1, Week 1, of C25K, just because I was curious to see how it went, and the jog/walk-pattern made me believe I can do that. I started changing my eating habits about a week earlier and had the intention to somehow improve my overall fitness anyway, and this seemed like a good way. Up to that point I was not doing any fitness-related activities at all, outside of work where its limited to carrying stuff around a couple of times a day, and I was eating not like a lot but just all the way unhealthy and careless. So I started changing that first and then I added the running.

I started out with my regular cloth and shoes, by now I got myself some proper running shoes (tested and selected with professionals matching my feet and running style) and at least a windbreaking jacket. And because I love technology, I tracked all my runs from day 1 using a smartphone-app, which I also use for the timing of the stints. So, where did I start and that get me so far? When I changed the foodplan, I had 200lbs, when I started running a week later, I was alredy down to 194lbs. By this morning Iwas at 187.4lbs. Because relevant: I am about 6'2" (189cm). So how did my runs go? Well here are the logged figures. At first I included the 5min warmup walking, later I split it for more accurate data. The 5 minutes warmup usuall cover 0.30-0.35 miles.

W1D1: 2.04 miles, 26:16 minutes, 12:52min/mile (5 min walk included)

W1D2: 2.25 miles, 26:02 minutes, 11:35min/mile (5 min walk included)

W1D3: 1.68 miles, 18:20 minutes, 10:54min/mile

W2D1: 1.86 miles, 21:02 minutes, 11:17min/mile

W2D2: 2.05 miles, 23:00 minutes, 11:13min/mile (bought the shoes, wamup at the shop, then straight to the run)

W2D3: 1.84 miles, 20:22 minutes, 11:04min/mile (cut the last 2min walk down to 60s and ran another 60s)

W3D1: 1.68 miles, 18:11 minutes, 10:47min/mile

W3D2: 1.70 miles, 18:02 minutes, 10:37min/mile (cut the last 3min walk to 90s and ran another 90s)

W3D3: 1.78 miles, 18:03 minutes, 10:06min/mile (cut the last 3min walk to 60s and ran another 2 minutes)

So next week, Week 4 will start and with that a what looks to me like a big change in relation running to walking. I modified the last run in the end to see how I feel with 5 minutes almost just running and I think I can do it, but we'll see. Whats bothering me a bit more is the fact that since I started its been cold (35-40F plus windchill) and wet all the time. Luckily so far I only got to run with medium drizzle, not full rain. But with an extra layer of cloth and the windbreaker jacket thats not too bad and I usually am more hot than cold when done anyway.. . The round I am running is picked in a way to avoid the big sudden elevation changes in my town. The 5 minute walk will absorb a 40ft dropoff and after that its pretty much even for half the run and the second part has a slight permanent incline, summing up to about 90ft over a mile with even bits and a bit more noticable slopes. My current schedule is Mo/Wed/Fri, with some basic stregngth training inbetween.

Things I noticed/need to keep an eye on:

- I lightly strained my right feet last monday at work, but I only started feeling it after wednesdays run, and its been not too happy ever since, but it doesn't actually hurt when I focus on landing and walking properly. Need to be careful to not damage anything.

- I still am not totally sure what breathing technique/pattern/whateveryoucallit is good, so far I am just trying to breath as slow and deep as possible during the first minutes, so I am not literally running out of breath in the last few minutes. Not sure that is good or bad, but I guess I will figure that out eventually.

- Sometimes I feel like I want to run more often, but I guess pushing it is not the way to go, hu?

I have not yet set myself a target in terms of what I want to be able to run, and full or half-marathons like my inspiring friends are not going on that list anytime soon, but I figure I might find a nice 5 to 10k run in earlier 2014 that I can aim for. Mainly I want to feel, and already do a bit, the improved overall stamina combined with some weight reduction (target here: get to and maintain 80kg/176lbs). So far my motivation is up and running .

Feel free to comment whatever you like, tips and suggestions are welcome, if there are any questions I will try to answer those too.

Have a nice weekend everybody!

-Thomas

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Congrats on your progress!

• erinpeterson37 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 15, 2008

Amazing!  Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing! 

• Mikey A Expert 46 posts since
    Jul 24, 2013

Embrace Friday!  You are ready for it!  The C25K plan is terrific.  Funny your week 4 results are almost identical to what mine were.  I was also very nervous about W5 D3 but was up to the challenge as a result of the C25K program.  For me, I had hurt my knee during W4 because I was doing to much extra on my run days, i.e., aggressive sprints and stair workouts.  As a result I had to take about a week off and then I decided to repeat W3 then W4 to ease back into running and for my knee health.  After which W5 turned out to be a breeze.

Good Luck, looks like your on track!

Mike   

• steve74671 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 1, 2013

great job I am just getting back to running after two years of letting myself go. First run was this morning and could bearley do a half of mile. reading your progress inspires me to work hard and get back to being able to run eight miles five days a week.  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!!

• Raymond Russell Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 20, 2013

Great work Thomas, keep it up!  I started from a similar position as yourself, doing absolutely no sports or exercise and being generally quite unfit, about a year and a half ago.  I found it really tough at first, but have a great friend who enouraged me and got me running races.  Now I love it, and have got to the point where I can run a 5K in 21mins and a 10K in 45mins, and am planning my first half marathon in the spring.

Thank you for your post - it reminded me of when I started first, and has inspired me to keep trying to improve!

Raymond.

• Kesehatan Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 11, 2013

I hope I can be there too, because I am overweight

Kesehatan

• llvv Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 21, 2013

Starting from zero fitness (really?) and going 2.04 miles (3.28 km) on day one seems like an awful lot. When I tried previously to take up running a year and a half ago, I didn’t know about the couch-to-5K app yet, thought I was taking it easy (even alternating jogging and walking), but I did too much at once and ended up with a suspected stress fracture in my ankle (my doctor took X-rays, just in case) and shin splints that lasted a really long time. Heel striking and raised-heel running shoes might have contributed to the problem.

This time around, starting just over 9 weeks ago, I did couch-to-5K following the app, learned about the “natural running” style of running and focused on landing on my forefoot / midfoot instead of slamming my heel onto the ground, bought fairly minimal Saucony shoes with zero heel rise, jogged very slowly, and stuck to the program strictly. It even says on the couch-to-5K web site to stick to the program even if you think you could do more. That makes sense. I wanted to work into it gradually and not potentially have injury problems, like I did last time around. I have been more concerned about completing the jogs and doing it safely than about how far I have been going. I also wanted my body and joints to get used to this gradually. If I try to jog too fast, it’s too tiring and a lot more difficult to keep going. No, I am not doing 5 km in total, but I think it’s a lot safer and it feels good to stick to and accomplish something like this program. As well, I have been a cross country skier and other things for several years, including on-and-off weight lifting, so I definitely did not start from zero fitness.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...