Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

17446 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2014 7:48 AM by SMARIETTA Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 16, 2013 5:38 AM (in response to Michael.)
    C25K WK1D1 - New Group Starting

today will be w2d3.

I am back from walking my dogs this morning---------- it's 13 degrees outside.

Saturday  we had snow here in the morning and afternoon- then rain in the eve.- then it all froze sat. night- with a bit more snow on top sunday morning.

this morning it is 13 degrees outside and almost cloudless-------- so, while it IS spectacular outside- the footing is a mess, just about as bad as it can be. on the walk my 5 year old  lab is old and wise and handles the situation perfectly- but my  1 year old chessie is rambunctious-----and she usually limps a bit  off and on while covering icy terrain.

I am glad I have a nice warm gym to head to in a few minutes..

Michael------ interesting thing happened to me at the gym saturday. while walking  one of the repeats-a guy I kind of know started walking with me and struck  up a conversation. this guy was part of a group I used to run with on sunday mornings 3-4 years ago. some of them are 40-50ish-several of them are in their early 70's. All of them have run multiple marathons and this particular guy  runs multiple marathons each year, 50 k's etc.

anyhow we walk and chat for a bit- then it's time for me to run-so he runs with me for a bit---a couple of repeats---and then he says" I hope you don't mind me telling you this- but you are running too fast for your size "

so-we experiment for a bit and then he says-- ok, lets clock this- THIS is a good pace for you.

we clock it-and it's only 3 seconds/lap slower or 24 seconds a minute slower. I had my notes from some years ago---and subconsciously I was  running  THAT other pace.

Heck- I thought I was doing fine with it. He proceeds to give me a lecture about pace and even walking- tells me that there is no shame in walking and that he walks  in almost every race. Tells me about a race he did- took him almost 100 hours- over 400 started-only about 140 finished it-and his lesson is that you don't finish it without walking.

so I tell him I am planning to do this  5 mile race  april 6-and then I will  decide if I am going to train for the half marathon in Oct 2014. told him I was thinking about running 1 mile/walking 1/8 mile repeats for the half. He says-------- good plan-make sure you walk that first 1/8 mile repeat after the first mile- even if you find it embarrassing- don't worry, you will be passing a LOT of people at the finish line who didn't "walk"

so- I go home, get out the calculator- do the math-and it turns out if I successfully execute the 1mile run /1/8 mile walk for the half-at his suggested pace I end up beating my previous half marathon experience by over 22 minutes-and the pace I am running at will be slower than my target pace back in 2010, LOL

something for me to think about

anyhow- I gotta do about 30 minutes of desk work here-and then off to the gym,

stephen

Oct 3, 2009
    16. Dec 18, 2013 8:31 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

W3D1 done-check it off the list.

today was the first day I have  just done the prescribed intervals---------- up untill now I have been adding extra intervals in-and then walking several miles afterword.

I walked 8 miles yesterday- then today-walked 1/2 mile-did the intervals-and then walked 1/2 mile after..

Piece of cake,actually-- did about 20 minutes of basic yoga after-felt great.

I am actually enjoying the yoga more than the running.

Walking out the door of the gym I felt a bit guilty because I am sure I could have gone back inside and done the same thing all over again. Looking forward to W4-and really trying to restrain myself and not do too much,too soon.

stephen

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    18. Dec 19, 2013 7:44 PM (in response to Michael.)
    Re: C25K WK1D1 - New Group Starting

Sometimes known as a "cho-pat strap" (which is a trademarked name, I think).  What it does is support the patellar tendon and promote proper tracking of the kneecap.  Make sure you are landing with your knee flexed, not straight/stiff/locked.  Also try to have your foot plant under your hips, not ahead.  Your knee should "lead" or at least be even with your ankle, so that your lower leg is vertical or a little past vertical.  My knee will sometimes start aching if I get lazy and forget all that.

Len

Oct 3, 2009
    19. Dec 20, 2013 4:45 AM (in response to Michael.)

michael,

i am in akron,ohio.

weather is all over the place here---- teens ealier this week----currently it  is about 40 degrees and rising--- may break 60 degrees on sunday-----------and then monday back into the teens.

I had the dogs out for a short walk already this morning- w e have a couple inches of standing water on top of ice in a lot of areas.

I am waiting untill daylight and then  I will take the dogs out for a couple miles when I can see what is on the ground in front of us.

I will be interested to see how the strap works for you.

I have seen people use those before and always wondered how well they work.  I have run in and worked in a variety of compression sleeves and knee braces and all have proved un-satisfactory over time. In my line of work(roofing), we are  ALWAYS on inclined planes. Our knees handle that ok-ish going straight up the incline-- but the reality of the situation is that moving diagonaly up and across the plane is much more typical-and THAT movement puts incredible stress on the knee. Instead of hinging properly- the knee is constantly being rubbed/slid/twisted sideways-nasty

that torque is why I have come to be a fan of running indoors in the winter. The footing is always secure- there is no twisting/sliding torque to stress the knee the way there is on slippery pavement.

I think if you run in the form Len suggests, you will be running with a bit more" bounce" and transfering the impact more to your very strong upper legs instead of the knee.

BTW- I have a niece and a grand niece and grand nephew in the raleigh area. Raleigh is on one of the 2 routes we use to travel to the outer banks. ( I have been going to ocracoke in the summer since 1966.

Also BTW- I have found a 5k I may do on 3-15-14.- it's on a trail and it's also organized by a friend of the family.

I will be heading to the gym about mid morning to do W3D2.

Best wishes all, Stephen

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    20. Dec 20, 2013 6:43 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

And recent information suggests that a "bouncy" stride is not the energy waster we always thought it was.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/are-bouncy-running-strides-more-economical

Len

• CinDoc Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 10, 2013
    21. Dec 21, 2013 2:26 PM (in response to Michael.)

Great work on your progress Michael and Stephen! Stella, how are things going for you?

I just finished W2 last night. I took Shipo's advice and kept the speed at 5mph, and am trying to focus on keeping good form. It's going well... No issues yet.... That will probably come as running time increases.:P

My son hasn't been able to run as consistently as I have  (lessons, homework and an earlier bedtime), so I'm hoping he'll be able to do all three W1 workouts consistently over Christmas break. I think I'll stay at W3 until he catches up. I'm trying to make sure he's keeping good form as well... He tends to swing his arms across his body.

Anyway, good luck this week everyone!

Merry Christmas!

Cindy

Oct 3, 2009
    22. Dec 23, 2013 4:10 AM (in response to CinDoc)

finished w3d3 yesterday-- got to say it was GREAT.

took advantage of a break in the weather-- this time last week I was snow blowing. by friday night,all day saturday and sunday morning it rained without stop-- but the temp. rose up to about 60 degrees.

Went out on a trail sunday morning when it finally stopped raining. did the program  outside on the trail- could not resist because I know it could be 3 months before I see a temp like that again.--- it's expected to  drop down to 17 degrees tommorrow.

I can not wait to start w4- but I am already a bit miffed about w5. during week 5 I can do the d1 and d2 drills as scheduled-------- but THEN my wife and I are going to NYC to visit the FRICK and so the travel for that will delay w5d3 which is the first 2 mile no walking drill, by one day.

shout out to CinDoc:- I just wanted to say Kudos to you for exposing your son to different things, and encouraging him to try running. My kids are grown now,and self supporting----- but as a parent of young kids--all you can do is have them try different things-as many different things as possible, because you never know what will "click" with them.

My oldest son joined a soccer team at age11. coach would have them warm up before practice  kicking a ball as they ran 2 laps on an old, overgrown 1/4 mile cinder track. My son realized that he was running two laps before a lot of the kids finished one lap-and that no one ever beat him around the track ever.- so while other kids were improving their foot skills- my kid was figuring out that kicking that soccer ball was just slowing him down.  At the time, there were really no youth running programs here-so he began to enter road races.  a few moths later- still age 11, he won  the 15 and under age group in a 5k road race. At that race- a highschool coach saw him-and invited him to come and work with the high school team, keep stats and generally make himself usefull. turns out---- I had gone to gradeschool with that coach-in fact we were on the same track team back in 1975 or so.--- so in 7th and 8th grade my son was able to get coaching from a high school coach, eventually a small scholarship to a private highschool and run varsity for 4 years on a perrenial highschool state XC power. He is now married to a fantastic girl he met while they were both running XC on scholarship in college.- it all really goes back to kicking that soccer ball around an overgrown,semi abaondoned inner city school cinder track at age 11.

you never know where something you do,TODAY will eventually lead.

Very, VERY best wishes, to you and your son.

Stephen

• Nicbeast Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 23, 2013
    23. Dec 23, 2013 5:26 PM (in response to Michael.)

Hi! I'm new to running and pretty much believed that the only reason to run was if you are being chased.  And even then, negotiating may be an option.  But since the zombie apocalypse is near I thought maybe I should learn this survival skill.  Just kidding (not about the zombies...). So I started the C25K and I am on W4D2 tomorrow.  I won't lie, this stuff is tough.  I think a big problem is not warming up enough or stretching enough.  Like I get through the whole workout sometimes before it stars to feel ok.  Sometimes, it's fine, though.  I haven't figured it out quite yet.  Most of the time I will run/walk for about 20-30 minutes after.  At this stage, if I ran a 5K race people coming to see me would have to set up camp.  I'm slooooooooow. 

How fast are you guys going?  How are you feeling during the workout?  Is it hard for you?  Do you have any tips?  Are you running to music? Do you run according to the BPM? 

It looks like the program I'm using has you running for distance at 6 weeks.  I'm terrified.  LOL

• shipo Legend 491 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    24. Dec 23, 2013 5:44 PM (in response to Nicbeast)

Several comments:

• If it was easy, everybody would do it. 
    • When you say, "I think a big problem is not warming up enough or stretching enough," do you mean warming up and stretching as part of the program or something you're adding in addition to the program?  I ask because, from my perspective at least, "warming up" should be incorporated into the first several minutes of programmed running; as for stretching, you should NOT be stretching before you run (even if the program you're using says to), stretch only after your workout (or during if something is tightening up on you, and even then do it REAL GENTLY).
    • When you say, "Like I get through the whole workout sometimes before it starts to feel okay."  Now you're starting to sound like a real runner!    All kidding aside, that just the way things are in the life of a runner; sometimes I go out and don't settle into a good rhythm until I've run for an hour and a half or more, other times I'm into it after only ten or fifteen minutes.
    • As for folks setting up camp to watch you race a 5K; think about it this way, you'll still be faster than folks sitting on the couch, and even those camping out to watch you.
    • At this stage of your training I wouldn't worry about how fast everybody else is going; it's safe to say some will be faster than you, some will be slower.  Everybody starts at a different point and every individual body develops at a different rate.
    • As for tips, here is the most important one I can think of: If the program is moving along too fast for you, do not push beyond your limits, feel free to repeat weeks as necessary, even  if that means repeating say week 5 three or four times before moving on to week 6.  There is no need to be terrified, simply tackle week 6 when you feel ready.
    • Regarding BPM, never, I listen to my body and it dictates to me how fast (or slow as the case may be) it wants me to run.

Keep us posted on your progress. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    Dec 23, 2013
    25. Dec 24, 2013 10:21 AM (in response to shipo)

Yes, it is hard, but remarkably rewarding.  Who knew!

Thanks for the information!  I had no idea you don't stretch before you run.  So I'm going to start the program, and then I think pause for a couple minutes after the first running interval and stretch a bit.  The sides if my chins tend to hurt a lot a lot a lot until they are stretched out. 

The first time that happened I stopped after the workout.  I didn't know that if I pushed through it would feel better.  I am trying to listen to my body and it is working out, so far.  I'm excited about going to the gym today for W4D2.  Never would I thin I would say that.  Never.  Who knew!

• shipo Legend 491 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    26. Dec 24, 2013 10:38 AM (in response to Nicbeast)

As I mentioned before, if you are going to stretch mid-workout, be very-VERY careful; muscles can be pulled/damaged if you stretch them before they're fully warmed up.  The best thing would be to get to a point where you can wait until the workout is complete before you do any stretching. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    Oct 3, 2009
    27. Dec 28, 2013 10:20 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

Finished w4 today with no problems.

I hope everyone else is hanging in there-and especially hope michaels knees are not bothering him to much..

I made a smallish mistake this week-- Tuesday I went to the gym to do W4D1- but I had forgot to look up exactly what the work out was.............

So, I just pulled something out of my hat and ran 1/2 mile and then walked 1/8 mile---and did that 4 times with a 1/2 mile warm up walk at the beginning and the end.

It went well, with no problems-------after I got home I looked up what I was supposed to have done-and well what I did was well over what I was supposed to have done.

So- I did it for D2 and D3 as well this week.

It's still more than the plan calls for on W5D1-so I will do it that day as well.(Monday)-on weds. I will do the suggested W5D2 runs as scheduled which is a 3/4 mile run,1/2 mile walk---then another 3/4 mile run and  1/2 mile walk and I will be back on track. I will be travelling for a few days-so it will be next sunday before I get to the W5D3 2 mile run.--- I am really,REALLY looking forward to that.

I hope everybody is improving-best wishes to all,

stephen

BTW- it is sunny here today and 40ish-with no snow or ice to speak of on the ground- so I did my run out on a towpath this morning, before the mud had a chance to melt.

Dec 23, 2013
    29. Dec 28, 2013 7:15 PM (in response to shipo)

Yes.  I did a little stretching periodically and it made a HUGE difference.  If I didn't have to be somewhare, I felt like I could have gone on forever! :-) I find it takes me about 30 minutes to get into the groove.  So, after I do the workout, I feel like im ready to go.  I took an extra day off because I was feeling a bit run down (heh, pun intended) but I'm back at it tomorrow provided I feel ok. 

So, on another note.  The gym was closed on Tuesday and I had to use the track at the high school.  I.  Hated. It.  Will I ever like it?  I was thinking of signing up for a 5K as a goal, but I'm pretty sure there are no Treadmill races.  Lol.  Any suggestions?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...