Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2232567 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 743 744 745 746 747 ... 760 Previous Next
  • bbee42 Pro 78 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,160. Dec 15, 2013 12:13 AM (in response to Zerorez)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Nothing wrong at all with being dead last in a marathon.  I'm jealous!!!

I absolutely admire your drive to stick to it.  I wish I had kept it up 1/2 as well as you two have!  Fantastic Job!

Zeroez, CharlesAlberson and I first finished the C25K training at about the same time on this journey (in 2011), and Zeroez and I actually got together for a run together a few years back. 

Since then, Charles and Zeroez have run full marathons, and I'm still yo-yoing every year. 

I'm still plugging away, and I'll get there!

I did actually find a good way to get past the November blahs this year and keep my training up.  I asked my wife/family to sign me up for 1/2 marathon training for a 1/2 marathon that our town does every year in April.  I just finished the first full week of the training program. The beginning part of it is actually less of a workout than I was doing for C25K (first week was a series of 1/2 mile runs and mile runs).  The challenging part so far is scheduled runs every day except Sunday's.  Also, the short distances are only for the first couple of weeks.  The distance starts picking up this week

So, if all goes according to plan, I'll be joining you guys in the 13.1 club soon!  And if nothing else, at least I'm wrapping up the last couple of months of the year and still on my running schedule. 

2011 - C25K Graduate!!! (9/17/2011)

2011 - BridgeTo10K - W3 Slacker!

2012 - Started over but didn't finish the C25K program (MAJOR SLACKER!)

2013 - C25K Graduate Again!!! (NEVER GIVE UP!)

2013/9/20 - REV3 Glow Run Branson - Wasn't chip timed but finished in roughly 38 min.

2013 - December 4th - Began 1/2 Marathon Training

2014/3/10 - Kiss Me, I'm Irish 10K - 1:23:32.9 (PR! It counts even if it's my only 10K)

Future Races (Registered):

2014/4/5 - Bentonville Half Marathon!!!!

==========================================================

My running logs: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/506692

My Blog: http://goneafk.tumblr.com

Independent Rep for Isagenix Diet and Healthcare Products: http://bbee42.isagenix.com

• CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,161. Dec 16, 2013 5:35 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

They hate being cooped up and so do I...I will try another jog tomorrow. My daughter came home for the holidays and we have been trying to get organized....plus after not sleeping for a week running didn't seem too appealing....however the horse is better and I need to get back out there....

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,162. Dec 16, 2013 6:23 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

We got about fourteen inches of snow between Saturday evening and Sunday mid-morning, and then the temperatures warmed, a little.  Once the thermometer registered a bit above the 10°F threshold, I talked the owners of the farm into letting me put the horses out.  Upon being released into the pasture every one of them did one of two things:

1. Drop down into a deep snowbank and spend a good couple of minutes rolling around before getting up and shaking so hard the cloud of snow they created looked like a small explosion.
    2. Bolt away as fast as they could, also creating a cloud of snow, and racing around the pasture several times.

It was about 15°F this morning when I got to the barn, so once they were done with breakfast, I put them all out for what will probably be the last time until Wednesday.  We're going to hit -4°F tonight, and will be lucky to see 10°F as a high tomorrow, that and we're expecting another four to six inches of snow in the afternoon.

Running wise, I managed a nice long trail Saturday, but nothing yesterday; hopefully I'll get out at lunch for at least a few laps around the cemetery next to our office. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,163. Dec 17, 2013 5:43 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Laughing about Shipo"s winter with horses. I used to live on a farm in Michigan with 80 stalled horses and some at pasture...winter was a chore: frozen buckets and hoses, endless blankets and wraps...I don't miss it. but I do miss seeing them running, bucking and  rolling in the snow....This morning we had frost, a balmy day for you...I walked a mile and a half...knees are still sore but I will not give up.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,164. Dec 17, 2013 5:59 AM (in response to CynceRN)

He-he, yeah, horses can be pretty entertaining at times.

Funny thing, I grew up on a farm in Michigan as well, although we only had two (unblanketed) horses (we don't allow blanketing here either).  Our farm was in Avon Township, a community which was rather decrepit and seriously poor; we moved away in 1969.  I went back a few years ago and the area is now called Rochester Hills and there are million dollar homes covering our old pastures; too bad we didn't stick around a few more years and "subdivide". 

Given all of the snow on "my" trail, I managed an eight mile run yesterday in the cemetery next to my office; five laps around at one-point-six miles per.  Can you say "BORING?"

Good luck with your knees and keep it nice and slow.

Fat old man PRs:

• Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    11,165. Dec 17, 2013 6:56 AM (in response to bbee42)
    200+ Pound Club!

bbee42 wrote:

Nothing wrong at all with being dead last in a marathon.  I'm jealous!!!

I absolutely admire your drive to stick to it.  I wish I had kept it up 1/2 as well as you two have!  Fantastic Job!

Zeroez, CharlesAlberson and I first finished the C25K training at about the same time on this journey (in 2011), and Zeroez and I actually got together for a run together a few years back. 

Since then, Charles and Zeroez have run full marathons, and I'm still yo-yoing every year. 

I'm still plugging away, and I'll get there!

I did actually find a good way to get past the November blahs this year and keep my training up.  I asked my wife/family to sign me up for 1/2 marathon training for a 1/2 marathon that our town does every year in April.  I just finished the first full week of the training program. The beginning part of it is actually less of a workout than I was doing for C25K (first week was a series of 1/2 mile runs and mile runs).  The challenging part so far is scheduled runs every day except Sunday's.  Also, the short distances are only for the first couple of weeks.  The distance starts picking up this week

So, if all goes according to plan, I'll be joining you guys in the 13.1 club soon!  And if nothing else, at least I'm wrapping up the last couple of months of the year and still on my running schedule. 

13.1 is my favorite distance. It takes long enough to feel like you have done something awesome (you have!) and short enough to allow you to have little chance of injury. Once I am at goal weight I will likely feel differently about marathons, but I think I am going to do 1 next year, but probably lots of halves. They are more fun!

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• mariaarora Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 17, 2013
    11,166. Dec 17, 2013 8:54 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

now it should be 500+

• Bocefas Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 13, 2012
    11,167. Dec 17, 2013 5:27 PM (in response to Zerorez)

I am a big fan of the 1/2 Marathon distance as well...the full Marathon hurts too much...I can't see myself ever running another Marathon, but I am already lining up 1/2's for next year.  I think I am going to try to run a few more trail races too...but to be honest with you I felt worse after some of the trail races I ran last year than I did after the Marathon and the trail races were *only* 12-15 miles.  The hills in the mountains really tear you apart...walking up helps, but I can't help but run down, and that just shreds my quads.  Maybe I should spend more time in the gym this winter...not my favorite activity!

• EnuciaVeganSoap Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 17, 2013
    11,168. Dec 17, 2013 8:55 PM (in response to Wideguy)

I would like to do a half marathon, but I really need to work up to it. It's hard to do this time of the year with snow and ice on the ground. I'm not running if there's a chance of slipping on the ice.

Sep 6, 2013
    11,169. Dec 19, 2013 5:43 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Shipo re Avon township: It was so beautiful if a bit impoverished back then...ourt Farm was in Mt Clemens...had multiple barns managed by different trainors and a swim barn for horses that needed to swim (indoor pool for horses, how cool is that) some horses were blanketed, usually those in rigorous training but most were au naturale...they do better as God made them.

The knees still sore but I did another 1 1/2 walk/jog this AM and felt great. They stiffen up when I sit too long. Headed back to the trails this weekend with the kid...wish me luck.

• Bocefas Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 13, 2012
    11,170. Dec 26, 2013 4:44 PM (in response to Bocefas)
    200+ Pound Club!

Test...is this thread broken???

• Chuck1945 Amateur 23 posts since
    Nov 15, 2013
    11,171. Dec 27, 2013 12:01 AM (in response to Bocefas)
    200+ Pound Club!

I think it is still somewhat active. It looked kinda dead for a bit when I joined the forum a month or so ago, now not sure.

I am in the 200+ club (205 at present) and 68. 8 years ago I was 280, pre-diabetic, high blood pressure, etc. I started waking (winter of 2005-06) and in the early spring walked a 5K. As the weather warmed I started bike riding and that remains my primary summer activity. However I have repeated that 5K each year since, and my wife and I have done the Bloomsday 12K (Spokane WA) together since 2010. I have jogged several other 5Ks, four this year and am entered in a half marathon next June and debating one in March, it will depend if the weather is co-operative enough to let me get my training miles in. I am reasonably sure I can finish the half, but I really dont know what to expect time-wise. I think I can do it in less than 3 hours, but I dont know what sort of of pace I can maintain for the distance. Right now I am up to 7.5 miles at about a 13:00 average pace

Aug 9, 2013
    11,172. Dec 28, 2013 2:21 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: Ten pounds removed...

As some of y'all remember, I started flirting with sub-200 back in early September, since then I've logged lots and lots of miles, but my weight has stubbornly stayed in the 190 zone (my scale did tease me with a 190.2 once back in November).  Finally today, after a 16 mile run on the packed snow of one of our local snowmobile trails, my scale said 189.8; said another way, sub-190 for the first time since 2001 or 2002!  Of course after two tall glasses of milk, a banana, a pot of tea, and two PBJs, I'm sure I'm back up into the mid 190s, but hey, just for a few minutes I was under 190 pounds. 

Fat old man PRs:

• cbirchall1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 14, 2011
    11,173. Dec 30, 2013 7:35 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: Ten pounds removed...

I am a 205# runner.  Last year, I ran in my first pump & run race (bench + 5K).  The bench weight is determined on a % of your weight and age.  Then, you receive time off of your 5K run based on the # of reps completed.  Unfortunately, this format still favors lighter runners.  For example, a 25 y.o. weighing 250#s benches 100% of his body weight or 250#s while a runner of the same age but weighing only 125#s has to bench only 125#s.  Therefore, I have created the Pump & 5K Chase.  It is a fund raising event for Mentor High Football and Boys Track Team on April 6, 2014 in Mentor, OH.  We are still working out the details, but would like to hear your thoughts...

Bench - Participant selects a weight between 45 lbs and 225 lbs and does 0 - 10 reps.  The total weight lifted (weight x reps) determines how much time is credited toward his/her 5K.  The maximum credit is 10 minutes. 

Women - 1 minute credit for every 100 lbs lifted.

Men - 1 minute credit for 1,350 lbs (135 lbs x 10 reps) and earns another minute for every additional 100 lbs lifted.  Maximum 10 minute credit is earned by lifting 2,250 lbs (225 lbs x 10 reps). 

5K race - Runners with minute credits are released early.  The runners with 10 minute credits are first to start, then 9 minutes, and so on.  The runners with 0 credits or decided not to do the bench start the race like a regular 5K race.  This is when the clock starts.  Therefore, the runners with a 10 minute credit have a 10 minute head start. 

Comment:  This format should favor the strongest (largest) runners and create an exciting finish!  If a 250 lb. football player can bench 225 lbs for 10 reps, he receives a 10 minute head start.  If he runs the 5K in 27 minutes (8:42 minute mile), he will cross the finish line at 17 minutes (5:29 minute mile).  If a 125 lb long distance runner skips the bench or is unable to lift 1,350 lbs and runs the 5K in 17 minutes, these two very different participants should cross the finish time at the same time.

Questions - please feel free to email me with your answers at cbirchall@oh.rr.com

1. Do you think the bench weights are too high, too low, or just right?   

2. Do you think offering a maximum credit of 10 minutes to high, too low, or just right?

3. Do you like the idea of a staggered start so everyone will know where they are during the race and their place at the finish line?

Chuck

Sep 6, 2013
    11,174. Dec 30, 2013 10:15 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Still 200+ but a tougher trimmer 200+ than 6 months (and about 30lbs down)...knees improving but still taking it slow. Did 3 miles mostly walking through an area called paines prarie, all gators, wild horses, pigs and wild bison and I'm sure snakes. Survived.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...