Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

868 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2014 6:15 AM by Rich in NH RSS
TornadoKnight Rookie 3 posts since
Aug 28, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2013 3:38 PM

Cracked Heel Skin?

Heya everyone, 

Does anyone have any advice of what I can do to power through running an upcoming 5k run this Saturday mornin' with a fairly small foot heel skin crack?  It stings just walking on it at work in my steel tip boots.  Is there a good "runners" liquid skin or a good tape to keep it from getting worse during the run?

A little help for a newbie runner Please. 

Thanks in advance,

Matt

• LStanhope Amateur 18 posts since
    Aug 24, 2013
    1. Dec 31, 2013 11:10 AM (in response to TornadoKnight)
    Cracked Heel Skin?

That sounds quite painful and uncomfortable! My first advice would be not to over-do it during the race. However, one thing that you can start to do now is to use Aloe Vera gel, but not the type that comes in bottles at the grocery store for sunburn. It's a wonderful antiseptic and it heals skin issues. You can either rub the gel of the plant (just snip off a leaf) over your skin or if you have a Whole Foods (or a similar store) near you you can purchase a small bottle of whole-leaf aloe gel. Make sure to continue to apply moisturizer (maybe for sensitive skin) and to wear socks at night in addition to the aloe.

I will say though, that if the problem persists, you should also go to see a doctor but you can try the aloe first.

Good luck!

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Dec 31, 2013 3:50 PM (in response to TornadoKnight)
    Re: Cracked Heel Skin?

I've had cracked heals and toes off and on for decades now; whenever I get a crack I simply rub a dollop of petroleum jelly onto the area; during the day I tape a band-aid over the area, and at night I just wear an old pair of socks to bed.  Within a few hours the skin has softened up enough to eliminate the discomfort; yes the crack is still there, but I don't feel it at all.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Jan 1, 2014 6:15 AM (in response to TornadoKnight)
    Re: Cracked Heel Skin?

With me, it's a build-up of dead skin on the heels and balls that cause them to split.   The dead skin isn't flexible and when it splits, the healthy skin underneath splits as well.   If left untreated, it gradually gets worse until the splits start to bleed, etc.

I take a medium grade sandpaper and lightly sand to remove the dead skin.  Once that's done, I apply a moisturizer to the healthy skin underneath to soften it up.

Once you remove the dead skin, the splits heal pretty fast, within a day or two.

BTW, they sell foot soaks that'll soften the skin as well.   Soak your feet in the solution for about 20 minutes and the dead skin will practically rub off with just hand pressure.

Good luck!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points