Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2121913 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 744 745 746 747 748 ... 760 Previous Next
  • shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,175. Dec 30, 2013 12:02 PM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Sounds like a wonderful area to walk and run; I love hanging out in areas with lots and lots of wild critters (the non-human kind). 

• DeanerOH Amateur 18 posts since
    Dec 30, 2013
    11,176. Dec 31, 2013 7:23 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello all!  I am a brand new runner and definitely fall into the 200+ club at 243# currently.  I have been an athlete in the past, but after some back injuries I was put on the bench and gained around 100#.  I am looking to prevent some serious health issues from beginning and want to get back in recognizable shape (blob isn't doing it for me).

I am hoping to get to know some of you and get some support as I begin the C25K program today after work.

Suggestions, warnings, encouragements, etc are all welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Deaner

12/31/2013 - Started C25K - 243#

Aug 9, 2013
    11,177. Dec 31, 2013 8:45 AM (in response to DeanerOH)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

First off, congratulations on starting the C25K program!

Given that I was maybe a little worse off than you are just nine months ago, I can offer some relevant encouragment and advice.

Advice:

• Rule #1, stay with the program and don't add to it; more often than not, individuals who want to build Rome in a day by adding to the program end up getting hurt.
    • Rule #2, if "next week's" plan looks unreasonably difficult, repeat the current week as many times as needed before you advance to the next week.
    • Rule #3, do not stretch prior to working out; do so after your workout or, if you start feeling tight during a workout, ever-so-gently until you're completly warmed up.

Encouragement:

• By last April I was tipping the scales at somewhere north of 250 (I'll never know how far north because I was afraid to get on the scale); I hit a twelve year low on Saturday at 189.8, immediately after I completed a 16 mile run on a local snowmobile trail.
    • By forcing myself to stay with Long Slow Distance (LSD), something which is very much contrary to my nature, I've managed to stay injury free in spite of the 1,600+ miles I've run since I first laced up my running shoes again in April.
    • Running is pretty much like everything else in life, it's hard when you first start, and the longer you stay with it, the easier it gets.

Suggestion:

• Look at the racing calendar in your area and pick a 5K race in mid spring; that should give you enough time to work your way into some semblance of shape, and still avoid the hot and/or humid summer weather.
    Dec 30, 2013
    11,178. Dec 31, 2013 12:41 PM (in response to shipo)

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!  The advice makes a lot of sense. Your story was definitely encouraging and congratulations on all of your progress.  There are several races in my area during that time so I'll see which one my fiancee would like to do with me.

Tooting my own horn:  I just got back from my W1D1 workout and I was able to complete the entire thing.  I was worried I would have to quit partways due to my extremely bad shape, but I finished!  I'm sure I looked like an idiot beaming to myself at a roadside park, but it was well worth it.  I may stick with this one for a few more days to make sure I am ready to move on.

Thanks again for the help!

Aug 9, 2013
    11,179. Dec 31, 2013 3:47 PM (in response to DeanerOH)

Check back in from time to time and update us on your progress. 

Dec 30, 2013
    11,180. Dec 31, 2013 4:38 PM (in response to shipo)

Will do.  I'm using the app and it is great so far.  Very useful.

• CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,181. Jan 2, 2014 6:14 AM (in response to DeanerOH)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well I have been pain free for a few weeks now and am wondering the best way to really start running again. I am walking up to 3 miles without any difficulty. I am thinking just go back to the beginning and do week one but it seems so wimpy. Advice please.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,182. Jan 2, 2014 6:52 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wimpy (I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today?) is the name of the game if you want to stay injury free; ask me how I figured that out.   

Sep 6, 2013
    11,183. Jan 3, 2014 6:18 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

OK. Here I go. back to the beginning.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,184. Jan 3, 2014 8:02 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Concentrate on going slow for at least the first several runs, and constantly run a full "systems check" to make sure all of your parts are feeling relatively normal. 

• DavidSchultz1978 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2013
    11,185. Jan 5, 2014 2:07 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

About me...

I am 39.  I weigh about 300lbs and I am a runner.  I struggle to keep at it.  I will go good for a week or 2 then stop for 6 weeks.  Heck, I did a 10K on Thanksgiving morning with no hassles except for the snow.  Also, I changed careers about a year ago.  I went from being up and active at work to sitting at a desk all the time.  I am starting to eat better and eat a little less.  I want to drop the weight.  I need the support group to help me keep going.  Maybe a running partner or running club.  I live in Fendale, MI.  Private Message me if you think you can help.

Aug 9, 2013

DavidSchultz1978 wrote:

About me...

I am 39.  I weigh about 300lbs and I am a runner.  I struggle to keep at it.  I will go good for a week or 2 then stop for 6 weeks.  Heck, I did a 10K on Thanksgiving morning with no hassles except for the snow.  Also, I changed careers about a year ago.  I went from being up and active at work to sitting at a desk all the time.  I am starting to eat better and eat a little less.  I want to drop the weight.  I need the support group to help me keep going.  Maybe a running partner or running club.  I live in Fendale, MI.  Private Message me if you think you can help.

Before I even saw your comment about living in Ferndale I thought, "Hmmm, I wonder if he lives in the Detroit area?"  Why would I think that?  Because of your other comment about the snowy 10K on Thanksgiving Day (I ran the "Fifth Third Turkey Trot" race the same day, and yeah, it was diabolically slippery).  Unfortunately I haven't been a resident of the Detroit area since the late 1970s, so I'm pretty out of touch with the running scene there and cannot offer up any suggestions on running clubs other than use the internet to search for one.

While I never made it up to the 300 pound threshold, I was tipping the scales at over 250 as recently as April 2013, and like you, I had decided to A) lose weight through running, and B) had a difficult time maintaining a workout program due primarily to work related pressures.  In April I finally managed to coax myself into fairly regular running, first two days per week, then three, and finally up to six or seven by late June, and as I did, two things happened, 1) my ability to run more miles (not faster miles, I avoided that like the plague for fear of getting injured), and 2) my weight started falling off.

Good luck in your quest for the new you, and keep us posted on how you make out. 

Dec 30, 2013

I am also a 240lbs+ runner and just started so I will check back in on you too!  We need all the support we can get.

Sep 6, 2013
    11,188. Jan 6, 2014 11:51 AM (in response to DeanerOH)
    200+ Pound Club!

Friday had an acute onset of Vertigo...OMG can we say DIZZY...Spent the weekend "taking it easy" per MD order. Still haven't started running again...maybe tomorrow but we are having a cold front and it will be 20's in the AM...Don't laugh this is central Florida and Mickey is freezing his ears off.

• AZSamurai Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 6, 2014
    11,189. Jan 6, 2014 1:02 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi all, Just starting out doing the C25K beginning tonight (W1D1) and looking for any and all support I can get!  I'm 49 and had some not so great blood tests recently.  My weight was up to 227 as of Christmas, down to just shy of 224 as of this morning.  I played soccer for years, into my mid 20's but then became a couch potato.  It was so easy to become lazy as a programmer and now I'm paying for that laziness.  It's time to get up and get active again, lose the weight, eat better, and regain some health.  My initial goal is to run my first 5K by mid March and to eventually get down to 185. 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...