Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1890021 Views 11,335 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM by BreezyB24 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 745 746 747 748 749 ... 756 Previous Next
  • CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,190. Jan 6, 2014 11:51 AM (in response to DeanerOH)
    200+ Pound Club!

Friday had an acute onset of Vertigo...OMG can we say DIZZY...Spent the weekend "taking it easy" per MD order. Still haven't started running again...maybe tomorrow but we are having a cold front and it will be 20's in the AM...Don't laugh this is central Florida and Mickey is freezing his ears off.

• AZSamurai Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 6, 2014
    11,191. Jan 6, 2014 1:02 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi all, Just starting out doing the C25K beginning tonight (W1D1) and looking for any and all support I can get!  I'm 49 and had some not so great blood tests recently.  My weight was up to 227 as of Christmas, down to just shy of 224 as of this morning.  I played soccer for years, into my mid 20's but then became a couch potato.  It was so easy to become lazy as a programmer and now I'm paying for that laziness.  It's time to get up and get active again, lose the weight, eat better, and regain some health.  My initial goal is to run my first 5K by mid March and to eventually get down to 185. 

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    11,192. Jan 6, 2014 5:39 PM (in response to AZSamurai)
    200+ Pound Club!

Welcome AZ.  Glad you started to run. It has really changed my life in more ways than one.  Mid March is a good time for a 5K.  Check in often and keep us posted. 

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Sep 2, 2009
    11,193. Jan 6, 2014 5:46 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

With so much of the country frozen..I just thought this would be appropriate.

0c5cfa8cd9e2d215c11e06c9fd989802.jpg

Restarted 04/01/2013

Sep 6, 2013
    11,194. Jan 7, 2014 5:37 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Fluffy, love your summer bodies post..I loved everythig about winter except the driving. Wasn't a runner then but hiked miles and miles with my dogs in all kinds of weather. I am so used to the 'Florida heat. It got down to 27 with wind chill in the teens hear last night and I thouht the next ice age was approaching. We made it through, horses A OK and no frozen pipes. (we do not bury pipes too deep here, maybe 6 inches, so biggest problem with cold weather is pipes and well freezing. But...back to running. Gotta restart soon , The knees are on the mend and a few slow jogs are in order. Good luck to you all and keep running

"Always be yourself, unless you can be a runner, then always be a runner"

Godspeed

• shipo Legend 340 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,195. Jan 7, 2014 6:43 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Yup, I'm lovin' your summer bodies post as well; my problem is that I got it backwards in 2013, the winter body I have now is a result of the running I did last summer (when I decidedly did NOT have a summer body). 

Aug 9, 2013
    11,196. Jan 7, 2014 6:46 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

It was -6°F this morning (with windchill it was more like -25°F), as such, I didn't let the horses out of the barn, and yes, they were very vocal in their displeasure at being kept inside.  Hopefully they can get out tomorrow. 

• Debbie83035 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 13, 2010
    11,197. Jan 7, 2014 7:47 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Loving your Summer Bodies thing.  Just did my first walk/jog yesterday.  Loved being in the cold.  Nothing like the cold you guys have.   I'm in Texas and it was 29.  Glad to have found this forum.  Aim to do the triathlon at the Senior Games at the end of March.   Couch to 5K should help me with runnung portion.

• Chuck1945 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 15, 2013
    11,198. Jan 7, 2014 2:25 PM (in response to Debbie83035)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

re C25K, when I first visited this forum a couple of months ago I was quite puzzled regarding "C25K". I hadn't heard of this before and read it as C 25 K and couldn't figure out what it meant a google search soon put me straight.

My own C25K took about 3 years from the time I started walking+jogging until I was able to run a hilly 5K without stopping to walk last March.Since then I did 3 more last year. My next 5K goal is to do the same one in less than 30 minutes although I am not sure I want to do that bad enough to put the necessary effort into training

At least so far here in the PNW we have avoided the severe weather the eastern half of the country is enduring (it was -11 yesterday (before windchill) where my older son lives in NW PA) so at least I can continue progress on the Winter -> Summer body program

Sep 2, 2009
    11,199. Jan 7, 2014 6:53 PM (in response to Chuck1945)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

I am glad you guys liked the picture. I was sitting on my chaise, under a comforter and looking at pinterest. That picture made me smile. Then I went to Facebook and I saw that my friend, who is about my size, post that she went for a 3 mile run. Well dang it, I had to get up and run. I did three miles. (I am in SE Texas....this is probably as cold as it gets here. LOL)

2014-01-07 07.04.41.png

20140106_210723.jpg

Restarted 04/01/2013

Sep 6, 2013
    11,200. Jan 8, 2014 5:49 AM (in response to Debbie83035)
    200+ Pound Club!

Go Debbie. Triathlon sprint is my ultimate goal but with sick parents a full time job and this farm to run my time is limited so I am concentrating on the running right now. C25K is definitely a good way to go. The iron girl website also has a lot of good information.

Shipo.-5/-25...as we say here in the south "Bless your heart" .I remember that kind of cold but have no desire to experinece it ever again. I plan to run again Saturday. I will let you all know how it goes.

Fluffy: You are my inspiration.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,201. Jan 8, 2014 6:31 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

CynceRN wrote:

Shipo.-5/-25...as we say here in the south "Bless your heart" .I remember that kind of cold but have no desire to experinece it ever again. I plan to run again Saturday. I will let you all know how it goes.

Too funny; I've lived and worked "Down South" on numerous occasions and the whole "bless the heart" thing was something which I always found quite humorous.  Why?  In addition to the more proper usage like you've employed, I would often hear someone gossiping or otherwise saying unflattering things about someone else, and then bless their heart at the end of the sentence.  Kind of like, "You know that Jolene, she dresses just too trashy for her own good; bless her heart." 

Sep 2, 2009
    11,202. Jan 8, 2014 7:59 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

ha ha Shipo....I am a southern Bible belt gal and one of my favorites is the ...if you gossip while you pray, then it isn't gossip.  For example, Lord, we ask for prayers for Mary Beth and her family.  We pray that John will stop seeing that other woman that I saw him with the other day at the restaurant. Father we pray you just remove the lust from his eyes for that Emma Jean and that he would turn back to his wife Mary Beth.  In Jesus name we pray, Amen  (So I started to start the prayer circles with God is not a gossip. If it isn't common knowledge, don't share names, God knows and the Holy Spirit.....some people left the circle. LOL)

Cynce: I would love to do a triathlon.  But I can't swim well. Well the truth is...I can't swim. I can survive to get across the pool but there is no grace and the stroke is unidentifiable.  I also don't have a fancy bike.  If I ever do them, I'll probably start out with sprints that have an indoor pool for the swim part.  the open water thing scares me.

Restarted 04/01/2013

Aug 9, 2013
    11,203. Jan 8, 2014 8:41 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

SeeFluffyRun wrote:

Cynce: I would love to do a triathlon.  But I can't swim well. Well the truth is...I can't swim. I can survive to get across the pool but there is no grace and the stroke is unidentifiable.  I also don't have a fancy bike.  If I ever do them, I'll probably start out with sprints that have an indoor pool for the swim part.  the open water thing scares me.

Regarding the swimming thing; the following is a true story and since I don't know the names of any of the "innocents", I won't have to change any names to protect them:

In 1990 at the ripe old age of 33 I signed up for a triathlon (Olympic distance 1.5K Swim, 40K Bike, 10K Run); the only problem?  I didn't know how to swim (yes, I could get across a small pool without drowning, but that's about it).

With less than six weeks remaining before my first event, I joined the YMCA and started, errr, for lack of a better term, swimming.  Over the next several weeks I was able to kinda-sorta approximate what others in the pool were doing, and managed to work my way up to swimming a mile with no stops (other than to turn around, I hadn't learned the whole flip turn thing yet).  On race day there I was in my brand-spankin'-new wet suit and my new goggles standing in the crowd getting ready for a 1.5K swim (.93 miles for those of us whom are metrically challenged).  The gun went off, and as with my track and road racing past, away I went into the fray.

Two hundred meters out I suddenly became aware of Mr. Panic sitting on one of my shoulders; he wasn't sayin' nuthin', but just knowing he was sitting there was kind of unnerving.  Then three additional awarenesses hit me; my new goggles were fogging up (my previous pair leaked but didn't fog, these fogged, but didn't leak), my wet suit was tight across my chest and I was quickly heading into oxygen debt, and finally I was out in the middle of a lake swimming in a crowd where pushing and shoving was par for the course.  Mr. Panic gave me a poke and said, "Ahem," just as a swimmer crossed over in front of me and his or her heel came up and nailed me square in the middle of my forehead.  Mr. Panic said, "PANIC NOW!"

I didn't just panic, I freaked.  I stopped swimming and started thrashing at the water.  The lifeguard boat took notice of me and started heading in my direction; that's when I forced myself to calm down by saying, "Come on Shipo, you've trained for this, you can do this, take your goggles off, spit in them, and start swimming, NOW"  I did as I instructed myself to do, however, was passed for "swimming" was actually more akin to a dog-paddle, I just couldn't bring myself to put my head back in the water.  By the time the swim was about half over I had calmed down enough to get back into a "freestyle" crawl; I was dead last getting out of the water.

Lessons learned:

1. Spit in the goggles before the start of a race
    2. Go for a few training swims in my wetsuit to get comfortable swimming in it

Three weeks later I was once again lined up for another triathlon, this time the Bud-Light Triathlon in Chicago with so many participants they needed to send the swimmers off in waves, and my wave of 30-34 year old men had more swimmers in it than swimmers in my entire first race.  Was I worried?  Nope, not in the least.  Why?  When the gun went off (just as a very young Lance Armstrong was getting out of the water by the way) I simply stood there and waited until everybody else on the beach was in the water and swimming like crazy.  I calmly walked into the water and started swimming, all by myself.  It was a wonderful thing. 

As I was nearing the pylon marking the turn-around point I saw another swimmer pass me and then angle to cut across my path in such a way as to push me directly into the pylon.  Thinking of all of the pushing and shoving that went on during my first race, I reached out and, ummm, pushed..., and got a whole hand full of breast!  What I hadn't realized was that the wave behind the 30-34 year old men was the 18-24 year old women (in other words, very fast college level swimmers), needless to say, she altered her course enough to give me a very wide berth around the pylon.  To this day I'm the only guy I know who managed to cop a feel during a triathlon. 

Sep 6, 2013
    11,204. Jan 9, 2014 6:07 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I have a friend who does triathlons frequently. During the swim of her last triathlon another competitor grabbed her ankle and hung on the whole swim. When she got out of the water she asked the other competitor what she was doing. The other competitor and responded "I was afraid I would swim off course" My friend just ran for her bike and kept on. She is a nicer lady than I am. I would have been blessing her heart and multiple other body parts and prayer circle would have known all about it.." Lord please help Ms. Anchor learn to swim and keep on course without trying to drown me.....bless her heart and Amen"

Went dancing last night and knee stiff as a board this AM.....it feels better when I move around. Sitting in this chair all day won't help it.

Oh. I swim like a fish..it's the bike thing that freaks me out

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...