Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

737 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2014 11:29 AM by RLBlunt8384 RSS
Scardello Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 14, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2014 9:32 AM

For trail runners: how do you keep your feet dry?

Hey guys this is my first time posting here. so the back story:

i transitioned to trail running only this summer after street running casued way to many injurys and down time for running. Now that the cold weather is here and snow is on the ground how do you guys keep your feet dry?

I purchased a set of running gaiters from outdoor research and the did a good job keeping the water off the uper part of my ankle but the splashing of the puddles (which were larger then i thought) from my bike and the puddles (which were much, much deeper then i thought) on the trails had my feet soaked by the first mile.

are there waterproof shoes to purchase, better gaiters, or should i just pay more attention to where i run?

than ks guys for the input.

Stephen

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Jan 9, 2014 10:43 AM (in response to Scardello)

Short answer; I don't.

Long answer; I try to avoid puddles and such wherever and whenever I can, but that almost always means that after my normal trail run, my feet are wet either from one or more puddles (this time of year puddles often lurk below a layer of smooth looking snow), or the dew (or newly fallen rain) on the long grass, or getting splashed bey a passing snowmobile, bike, horse, or ATV.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jan 9, 2014 3:55 PM (in response to Scardello)

Have to agree with shipo.  Do your best to avoid puddles, etc. but to some extent your feet are going to get wet.  The only other thing is that some trail shoes use Goretex fabric.  Goretex keeps most of the moisture out but from what I hear it doesn't do a great job of letting your feet breathe, so perspiation tends to stay in.  And your feet still end up wet.

Len

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    4. Jan 13, 2014 11:02 AM (in response to Scardello)
    Re: For trail runners: how do you keep your feet dry?

in late fall/early spring runs when it's really sloppy out, I run in some  coolmax socks I originally bought for work(Duluth Trading company)

Of course I try to avoid puddles- but eventually you are gonna have to step right in a big one----------------------------

when wearing the cool max socks I notice in 5-6 steps it's like the puddle never happened- it's like SQUISH,SQUISh,SQUIsh,SQUish , SQuish,Squish.... never happened!

BTW- I am also in construction of a sort- family business, we restore Ceramic tile roofs and slate roofs----

How about you?

Also named Stephen

• RLBlunt8384 Amateur 20 posts since
    Jan 7, 2014
    5. Jan 14, 2014 11:29 AM (in response to Scardello)

Two weeks ago I had to run a 10 miles run for my training program.  It had just snowed 2 days prior and there was snow and Ice everywhere.  I drove all over to find the best of a bunch of bad potential trail options.  I picked the one I thought seemed best and 1 mile into the run I ran off the sidewalk to avoid ice and went halfway up my shin deep in ice cold water that was hiding under a patch of snow.  I kept running and squish squish squish, the non gortex shoes I had squished all the water out and I did not have any problems.  Similarly last week I had to do a 12 mile run in the rain, also non gortex shoes and did not have any problems.  The only problem I ran into was where I had to run through a construction site and sand ran down my calfs into the heel of my shoe.  The last three miles were like running with sandpaper in the heel.  So I would say wear long socks that are not cotton. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...