Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

766 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2014 12:47 PM by lenzlaw RSS
adventuremike Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 17, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2014 6:39 AM

Rehab Adductor hallucis and medial joint capsule

Hi all,

Aplologies if this question has been answered already, I'm not sure how to search for previous answers.

I've been struggling with this injury off and on for a coupe of years. Pain (and nodule) under the ball of the left foot, aka 'bunion' hurts when I walk, run and can hurt with no weight bearing.

I kept this injury managable by keeping my runs under 3 hours and running no more than 2 days in a row, and no more than 3 days a week (doing other activities, mountain biking, body weight strengthening, yoga etc).

I know the joint capsual is inflammed and the adductor hallucis is weak and collapses causing the joint to not work as intended.

I wear Hokas, mostly to protect that injury from getting more inflamed.

Currently I've reduced my running to just a light jog for 10 minutes to do a body weight workout 2x per week and mountain biking 1x per week (cycling does not hurt at all but it's winter )

Currently doing the 'short foot' exercises, toe spreading, rubber band between big toes spread apart and hold, ankle rotations (to increase flexibility), practice spreading toes at least once per day every day.

3 questions:

1) Has anyone successfully 're-habed' this injury?

2) How long does it take?

3) What exercises did you do and progression back to running/walking?

I really appreciate any constructive and relevant feed back or just encouragement!

Happy trails,

Mike

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points