Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

17586 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2014 7:48 AM by SMARIETTA Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • tchr20 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 1, 2014
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jan 1, 2014 9:32 AM (in response to Michael.)
    C25K WK1D1 - New Group Starting

I started C25K several weeks ago, but just discovered this website.  I hope you don't mind me joining the group, because I find I need the motivation and information.  It's the "getting started" that causes me trouble.  Usually, once I'm running, I don't have trouble finishing - and feel great afterward!

I will be starting week 6 today.  I'm a treadmill runner out of convenience, because living in the south, where the humidity is usually terrible, I find it's a necessity for almost half the year.  I guess I would get used to outdoor running if I did it more.  Any suggestions on running outdoors on hot, humid days?

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    33. Jan 5, 2014 9:18 AM (in response to Michael.)

W5D3 done as well.

Just under 11 minute miles.

Legs feel very good, and I have no doubt I could have run 3 miles- but I will do the W6D1 workout on Tuesday as scheduled.

I have been looking forward to the W5D3 run for a long time------ this is the first day I have run  at least 2 miles since January 2012- so I finally feel that I am getting back towards where I expect myself to be.

I am really going to fight the urge to just "cheat" and  go on and run the 3 miles now. I will stick to the program and we will all be running 3 miles a clip in just another 2-3 weeks anyhow..

I am glad to see michaels' run went well . If I read between the lines it seems like he has some of the issues I have-- that is it can be tough to remain focused enough to RESTRAIN your pace. My tendency when running indoors on an 1/8 mile track is------------ 1/2 mile from the end I want to pick up the pace and just get it over with-and THAT is when I run into problems. Previous experience tells me those last 4 laps are where I will "fall apart" if I don't restrain my self- wether I am running 16 laps or  56 laps.

Very best wishes, all,

Stephen

• CinDoc Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 10, 2013
    34. Jan 6, 2014 10:01 AM (in response to Michael.)

Wow... glad to hear everyone's been doing so well. Me, not so much. The holidays really killed my motivation, but the kiddo and me are planning to get back at it tonight. Still on W3 and my son's on W2.

There. Now I'm accountable for it!

Hope you all had a great holiday, and a great start to the new year!

Cindy

• Nicbeast Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 23, 2013
    35. Jan 6, 2014 3:03 PM (in response to Michael.)

W5D3 Done and it was awesome!  I slowed my pace and had no trouble.  I'm slow as molasses but who cares I did it!  I feel like a gladiator!

Dec 10, 2013
    36. Jan 6, 2014 3:08 PM (in response to Michael.)

Good job, Nicbeast!!

• Nicbeast Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 23, 2013
    37. Jan 8, 2014 5:39 PM (in response to CinDoc)

Thanks!  Today was W6d1 I think and went well.  I'm super psyched about the whole thing.  I'm starting to look ahead to more!

• tchr20 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 1, 2014
    38. Jan 9, 2014 5:49 PM (in response to Michael.)

I'm back to work after the holidays and trying to find the energy and motivation to get back onto the treadmill.  I completed W6D3, but I struggled with it tonight.  I thought maybe I should slow down, but I feel like I'm a turtle now!  Running friends keep telling me that I should really work on endurance and not worry about speed.  Maybe I should listen...

Sounds like you guys are doing great! 

Dec 10, 2013
    40. Jan 12, 2014 5:35 AM (in response to Michael.)

Good job on W6, Michael, Nicbeast and tchr20!

Both my son and I did all 3 runs this week, and I'm pleased we managed to keep the motivation up! He finished W2, I finished W3. I'm going to start W4, and think I'll stay at that for 2 weeks while he catches up. The longer runs and shorter walks seem a little daunting to me right now.:P

Good luck this week, everyone!

Cindy

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    41. Jan 12, 2014 8:38 AM (in response to CinDoc)

W6D3 done this AM

Very glad to be done with intervals, walk breaks etc. and to just be "running"

On sundays, when I run on the indoor track I see a guy I used to run indoors with 2 years ago-and he has been "coaching" me.

Basically he reminds me to slow down and run my pace- he will even alter his pace to slow me down so that I stay at 10:30-11:00 minute miles.

Back in 2011-2012 I was running 9:30- which is slow for most runners-- but for a guy my age and size it was just beating the  bejabbers out of me

- so I am  happy to get "permission" to run a more suitable pace. It's nice to come home not beat up,banged up,limping and dehydrated.

thinking once we get up to 3 miles- baybe I should stay at 3 miles every other day for 6 months or so- instead of ratcheting up the miles.

Very best wishes to all,

Stephen

BTW--------- I am absolutely convinced I could have run the 3 miles today- but I am glad I did not.-2 weeks or so from now will be soon enough

• shipo Legend 496 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    42. Jan 12, 2014 9:30 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

SMARIETTA wrote:

Basically he reminds me to slow down and run my pace- he will even alter his pace to slow me down so that I stay at 10:30-11:00 minute miles.

Back in 2011-2012 I was running 9:30- which is slow for most runners-- but for a guy my age and size it was just beating the  bejabbers out of me

- so I am  happy to get "permission" to run a more suitable pace. It's nice to come home not beat up,banged up,limping and dehydrated.

thinking once we get up to 3 miles- baybe I should stay at 3 miles every other day for 6 months or so- instead of ratcheting up the miles.

I used to attempt every run as fast as I possibly could, and would even be upset if a previous run was faster that the current day's run.  That was back when I was (more) young, dumb, and stupid (than I am now).  This time around I subscribe to the whole "run further not faster" philosophy, and hey, it is working wonders.  So while you may have been told that 9:30 is "slow for most runners", just because one can run at any given pace doesn't mean it is wise or beneficial to do so.  Following that train of thought, when I started running again last spring I forced myself to go at more like a 12:00 minute pace, and every time I felt like I was running faster, I slowed down added a mile or two to my workout for the day; I kept this up until I was running at least six miles per run before I allowed myself to start ramping up the pace bit-by-bit.  Even now, nine months later with 1,700 miles under my belt, I continue to push distance over speed (except for the odd 5K or 10K race); case in point, I just got back in from a nice 13 mile run at almost exactly a 10:00 pace, slower than the 9:30 you spoke of, but it certainly felt pretty fast to me. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • DipMom Rookie 175 posts since
    Jan 2, 2007
    43. Jan 13, 2014 5:34 AM (in response to shipo)

I hope it's Ok if I jump on here and join you?  I know I am a few weeks behind everyone but that is OK with me.  Sad to say this is not my first time going through C25K (or my second), the same old story really, life just seemed to get in the way of my good intentions.  New job, another move and my first health scare (I'm 48) certainly derailed any progress I had made.  Not to mention that I LOVE the "Couch" part more than anything.  We recently got Netflix and I am addicted to all of these shows I have never seen before. 

Well, off to bed as 4:45 gets here pretty early!

• shipo Legend 496 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    44. Jan 13, 2014 6:09 AM (in response to DipMom)

Congratulations on restarting the C25K (again); trust me, many of us have a running program more times than they care to admit. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...