Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

728 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2014 11:29 AM by lenzlaw
justamaniac Legend 202 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 13, 2014 6:54 AM

Should I run the HM?

I've got a HM coming up in 6 days and by all standards I am woefuly under-trained (I haven't been able to put in the miles that I think I should prior to such an event) - so now I'm questioning if I should attempt the event after all.  I should also note that I've already paid for it and it is a local event, making it convenient.

Some background: I ran a full marathon in late Oct, and quickly got back into my usual 30-20 mpw routine, but then life, other priorities, crappy weather, etc., got in the way and my weekly miles faded away. I'm embarassed to note what my weekly mileage has been, but I will say that my longest run in the last four weeks has been an 8 mile run (which I seemed to do pretty comfortably).

On the heels of a great 4 mile run this AM I am thinking that I will toe the line for the event and run to finish it, without worrying about where I'll place in the field (I'm a mid-packer anyway....).

Am I crazy? Or am I likely to really frustrate myself in the event that I totally bonk?

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• shipo Legend 496 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Jan 13, 2014 6:57 AM (in response to justamaniac)
    Should I run the HM?

It sounds like your base is more than strong enough to get you through the race, doubly so if you don't plan on pushing the pace.  Sounds like a chance to go out and have some fun without regard to where you finish. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • shipo Legend 496 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    3. Jan 13, 2014 7:51 AM (in response to justamaniac)
    Should I run the HM?

What race is the HM?  Is it here in New England?

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jan 13, 2014 11:29 AM (in response to justamaniac)
    Should I run the HM?

I would try an 8-miler tomorrow or Wednesday and if that goes well, taper, get a good night's sleep Friday night, take it easy Saturday night, and run relaxed on Sunday.

Good luck!

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...