Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2555 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2014 4:04 PM by pj29340
runningproblems Rookie 7 posts since
Oct 26, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 17, 2013 9:14 PM

*** ~ Please, Advice On Running Schedule & Shoes ~ ***

Hi! Would someone be so kind as to link the best running schedule for someone who can run 1/4 of a mile before getting tired.

Or my feet/leg hurts.

Or the side of my stomach hurts.

Running at normal pace.

I'm 90-100 pounds.

Goal is to be able to run 3 miles straight.

Please, a schedule that reaches the 3 mile goal the QUICKEST.

Please link. This whole thing is so hard for me.

~

I need to get a fitted shoe also -- http://community.active.com/thread/291526

Any recommendations on the best store to ask?

• Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009

The Couch To 5K program is, by far, the most popular schedule/method for someone to ramp up into a running program:

http://www.c25k.com/

I would look for a local store that focuses on running; not just sells shoes in one department.  Since these stores tend to be local stores you'll have to look search the area where you live.  National stores are www.runningwarehouse.com and www.roadrunnersports.com.  The issue, IMHO, is that trying on lots of different shoes is basically impossible unless you can walk into a store with inventory and they start bringing stuff out for you to try.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Jim has given you good basic advice.

C25K is a great plan for getting started.

When you go to the running shoe store, tell them what you are doing and what your goals are.  Take/wear your current shoes as they may provide useful clues about what does/does not work for you.

runningproblems wrote:

Hi! Would someone be so kind as to link the best running schedule for someone who can run 1/4 of a mile before getting tired.

Or my feet/leg hurts.

Or the side of my stomach hurts.

These are all symptoms of going too fast (or too far but more likely too fast) for your current state of conditioning. C25K can help you correct these problems by slowing down and running shorter intervals.

runningproblems wrote:

Running at normal pace.

I'm 90-100 pounds.

Whose "normal pace"?  When learning to run distance, you need to slow down from what you might consider a normal pace.

You weigh 90-100 pounds? Or are you overweight by that amount?  (We get both kinds here.)  My guess is overweight because of the range.  Which may be another reason to slow down, and be patient.

Goal is to be able to run 3 miles straight.

Please, a schedule that reaches the 3 mile goal the QUICKEST.

Getting there the QUICKEST is also the most likely way to end up injured.  You want to get there in a moderate, controlled fashion, which is another feature of C25K.

Good luck with your shoe search and your running goals.

Len

May 25, 2009

I think a number of people here can provide help - but we need more information about your current situation and then what you're trying to accomplish.

Current Situation:

*  How much are you running or walking now?  How frequently do you run and how far each time?

*  How fast are you running?

*  How long have you been doing this?

*  Are you doing it consistently?

*  You've mentioned multiple times you weigh 90-100 lbs.  That doesn't help us understand if you are underweight or overweight.  If you're 6 ft 7 in tall then 90-100 lbs tells us you're underweight.  If you're very short then 90-100 lbs might be overweight.  Are you overweight or underweight? 

*  Why do you want to run?  For mental health and fun?  To lose weight?  Just to get more active?

*  Where on your leg does it hurt?  Does it hurt when you're running?  After you're running? 

You seem to be assuming that your leg hurting means that you need to slow down.  That may not be the case at all.

What Do You Want To Do?

*  What do you want to accomplish?  Do you want to go farther?  Go faster?

*  Do you have a specific race in mind you're training for?  If so how long is it?  And do you have a target time you want to complete it in?

Jim

Jan 18, 2008

If you're talking about lower leg hurting, on the front, that's usually shin splints, and may, again, be an indication that your pace is too fast for your conditioning.  I assume you are in the proper weight range for your height and body build and that you eat a good diet.  If you want to keep the ability to run 3 miles (once you get there) you will need to run a couple times a week, at least 2 or 3.

Len

May 25, 2009

Thanks for the info.  It's very helpful.

In my non-medical opinion, out of all of your questions and issues, there is only one issue you should be trying to answer right now:  Why is your weight where it is and why is your body not reacting to exercise with hunger?  All of the other things (water, shoes, schedule, leg pain, etc.) do not matter right now. 

I would venture to say you will not figure out those other things UNTIL you get the weight/nutrition issue figured out.

I'd go see a doctor.

Good luck!

Jim

• RLBlunt8384 Amateur 20 posts since
    Jan 7, 2014

Two things.  There are answers to all of these questions but it definately seems like you are 100% new to running and learning everything from scratch.  So I would just like to suggest that you approach your search for the answers you are looking for by NOT making any assumptions.  For instance, how can you define what a Normal pace is?  Or what is Normal for you?  I think everyone on here would agree that the answer to that will vary from person to person.  What is normal for you now will not be the same as what is normal for you a year from now if you continue to diet and excersize.

I agree with Haselsmasher that you should see a doctor.  There could be an issue with your hormones or with your diet ect.  Address those issues with a doctor first.  Then you need to figure out if the pain you are feeling while excersizing is normal or abnormal.  Is is a sharp pain in a joint? or is it a normal burning and irritation associated with stressing your body for the first time.  Runners push through some sort of pain every time they train.  Some days are easier realitive to others but you are still stressing your body.  It is not going to be super comfortable.

And like I said before what is normal varies from person to person but whatever pace you start at is just that, a starting point.  Thats all.  And for you the starting point may be walking quickly until you gradually work up to a jog.  And thats OK!  The point is that you will have begun your journey towards reaching your goal.  And that is a wonderful thing!

Jan 18, 2008

By your own admission, you are consistently 25 - 30 pounds underweight.  You need some help to figure out why, whether it's a doctor or a dietician or whatever.

Bluntly, you don't have any idea what "lactic acid buildup" is. 

There is no "normal" pace.  It varies all over the map depending on age/weight/physical condition/experience etc.  A reasonable pace is one where you can talk in short sentences while you are running.  Talk to yourself if you have to, or sing your favorite songs.

Pain in the side of your stomach is known as a "side stitch" and is generally an "overuse injury".  In this case, running too fast for your conditioning.  There are various things that runners use to alleviate it.  Change the foot you land on when you inhale/exhale.  Learn to "belly-breathe", using your diaphragm. Stretch the arm on that side up and over your head.  Sometimes eating too close to when you run can contribute.

Leg pain can be any number of things.  You may have poor form, putting undue stress on various parts of your hip/leg/knee/ankle/foot.  You may be running too fast for your conditioning.  You may have an injury other than normal beginner's soreness.

Again, try using the Couch-to-5K plan to get started http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.

I love these posts that ask for advice then roundly reject all the advice that is offered.  Then the OP suggests other answers.  If you know the answers, why are you asking?

Len

• pj29340 Amateur 24 posts since
    Aug 22, 2007

To put on weight you need to be taking in more calories than you are burning.  I would suggest some weight training, which promotes building mass, and a good " bulking " diet plan.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...