Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

417 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 15, 2014 9:45 PM by Haselsmasher
yvonnessister Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 2, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 15, 2014 8:30 AM

Piriformis Syndrom

I was diagnosed with Piriformis Syndrome some  years ago.  I stretch before and after I run, as well as doing hip flexor exercises.  My question to those that have it is how do you deal?  Leg day was yesterday, and my left cheek/leg is screaming at me right now.   As much as I love to run and do squats, I know this is not good, but I refuse to stop doing what I love. Running is therapy to me.

Thankx.

• Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 15, 2014 9:45 PM (in response to yvonnessister)
    Piriformis Syndrom

If Damian Howell sees this he hopefully will chime in - but I seem to recall him saying quite a while ago that sometimees Piriformis pain can come from too much stretching.  So sometimes stretching helps and sometimes it doesn't. 

When you say you stretch - are you doing a Piriformis stretch?  For me stretching the Piriformis helped.  Another thing that helped was tennis ball massage.  It hurts like the dickens - but it really helped.

Lastly - although you need to exercise your hips - hip flexors are not what you need to exercise to help with Piriformis.  It's the glutes that need exercising.  At least that's my understanding.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points