Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

282 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 15, 2014 9:45 PM by Haselsmasher RSS
yvonnessister Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 2, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 15, 2014 8:30 AM

Piriformis Syndrom

I was diagnosed with Piriformis Syndrome some  years ago.  I stretch before and after I run, as well as doing hip flexor exercises.  My question to those that have it is how do you deal?  Leg day was yesterday, and my left cheek/leg is screaming at me right now.   As much as I love to run and do squats, I know this is not good, but I refuse to stop doing what I love. Running is therapy to me.

Thankx.

• Haselsmasher Legend 505 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 15, 2014 9:45 PM (in response to yvonnessister)
    Piriformis Syndrom

If Damian Howell sees this he hopefully will chime in - but I seem to recall him saying quite a while ago that sometimees Piriformis pain can come from too much stretching.  So sometimes stretching helps and sometimes it doesn't. 

When you say you stretch - are you doing a Piriformis stretch?  For me stretching the Piriformis helped.  Another thing that helped was tennis ball massage.  It hurts like the dickens - but it really helped.

Lastly - although you need to exercise your hips - hip flexors are not what you need to exercise to help with Piriformis.  It's the glutes that need exercising.  At least that's my understanding.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points