Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2272519 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 746 747 748 749 750 ... 760 Previous Next
  • shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,205. Jan 10, 2014 8:55 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congratulations on your progress!

From my perspective, your recent timed 1.5 mile run at an 8:00 pace means you're ready to obliterate your 10K time from last year; I'm thinking you have a pretty good shot at running the event in under an hour.

As for race strategy, for races of 5K or more, I typically line up a bit further back than what my expected pace will be (i.e., if I'm expecting to run at a sub-8:00 pace, I'll line up at the back of the 8:00-9:00 group); this effectively puts lots and lots of slower runners in front of me (both those who will really be running between eight and nine, and those who have no business being so far forward within the starting group).  Why would I line up so far back?  I've always found that the more people I overtake and pass, the faster I'm encouraged to run, and now that your official time is calculated from the moment you cross the starting line (in most races), the only drawback to starting so far back is that you need to slalom through groups of really slow runners for the half mile or so; a small price to pay for the ego-boosting/faster pace generating affect of passing lots of folks on the course.

Be sure to report back tomorrow on how you did in the race. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • jgilrdz27 Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 7, 2009
    11,206. Jan 12, 2014 11:42 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone. .. well yesterday was the 10K... I wasn't my best race but I did improve on my time.... I was not prepared to run uphill over the causeway (bridge) @ Port Isabel... my previous tme was 1hr 12 minutes and yesterday I posted a time of 1 hour 08 minutes and 38 seconds. .. .. next I have another 10K on 3-1-14 and then my first 1/2 marathon. .. wish me luck guys... and as always I look forward to your support and advice.... Keep on running keep on living! :)

Aug 9, 2013
    11,207. Jan 12, 2014 12:27 PM (in response to jgilrdz27)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congratulations on your race. 

Next year you should come up here to train; it is so hilly around here that finding a flat course is a challenge, and that should give you good skillz for the causeway bridge. 

Fat old man PRs:

• CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,208. Jan 13, 2014 5:50 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Still not running and really bummed. R knee, my "good " knee is just giving me fits. Hurts all over. Down my shin and calf and up my thigh and tightens up when I sit too long, like more than a few minutes. I hate to see an MD but am tempted. The pain isn;t severe just nagging soreness. Advil helps as does icy hot. Any advice would be welcome.

Shipo: Got a horse with an abscess so spending lots of time with her doing Epsom salt soaks. She loves it. Thank heavens. I wonder if that would feel good on my knee.

jgilrdz27...congrats on the race. hills suck. Come to Fl. Excep[t for Tallahassee it is pretty much flat as a pancake

Sep 6, 2013
    11,209. Jan 13, 2014 6:02 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

And to all you folks worried about times some of us still get excited when we see the finish line and know we actually ran the whole way

Aug 9, 2013
    11,210. Jan 13, 2014 6:13 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

One of my charges had an abscess last summer; no fun to take care of.

Fat old man PRs:

Sep 6, 2013
    11,211. Jan 15, 2014 5:45 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

The worst horse injury I had to deal with was a seriously infected eye. I had to apply ointment every 6 hours around the clock for almost 2 months, It hurt and she was terrified but we worked it out and saved the eye. She is the one with the abscess now. Always somethings with critters.

My knee still hurts and I am getting very discouraged.

• artieanderson Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 14, 2014
    11,212. Jan 15, 2014 6:50 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well I just found this... I'm hoping that this site and the tools that come with it will be the springboard for more success down the road.I'm 54, at 50 I weighed 360 lbs + or -  I had a blog that showed I actually weighed 362 when I was a tad younger.  Brother got diabetes, lost both feet, significant health issues and it was due to diet and weight.  At 50 I made a commitment to lose 100 lbs and keep it off.  I've done a lot of things... started off eating a meal plan from Sam's that helped control portion size and the food mix was great for my weight loss... running or even walking was very painful. 

Started riding a bike... bought a Giant hybrid and started riding quite a bit.  Started feeling very good and a friend asked me to hike the grand canyon with him.  Started doing a lot of walking and hiking.. fitness level actually reversed a little but was getting my legs prepared for the hike.  It was the hardest thing I had ever done.. until 2 months later and I hiked a 14'er (Mt Elbert) in CO with some of my much younger friends..... that is the hardest thing I've ever done.  :-)

Backslid... got a job on the road, gained back a little weight but with some insight from some friends and my doctor started having a small protein shake in the morning and a couple of Atkins bars during the day... with a little work out I could have a pretty good dinner. 

On the road it's very awkward bringing your bike with you everywhere so I started C25K.... several times and then gave up.. then I started again last summer.  I did my last C25K workout the week before I ran in the Houston running of the bulls 5K (not running with the bulls.. it was sponsored by the Houston Texans).  I kept running (very very slowly) and kept signing up for 5K's to keep me motivated.   All I wanted to do in each of these is just finish without stopping.  Ran a Color Up 5K in Nacogdoches and then the Santa Hustle in Galveston Tx. 

In the midst of this a friend told me about the myfitnesspal app.  It has been a great boost to my weight loss progress.  Since I started it I have lost 30 lbs in the last 2 and a half months.  It has helped me to make better decisions when I eat out and yet allows me to have some of the things I really enjoy.. like Shiner Bock .  Last Saturday I weighed in at 261.4.. I've lost a hundred lbs but my real goal is 260...I will celebrate when I hit that magic 260... but in my mind my goal is now 240 (zipline weight limit is 250 at a place I want to try). 

I have been very happy with my journey so far over the last 4 years..many frustrations but many wins.. it has allowed me to put other things in my mind for goals.. another 14'er hike, skydiving, surfing, etc.  All things I want to do in the next few years.. I've also started experiencing pain in my left hip or upper thigh.  When I research it mostly it tells me rest is the key.. how frustrating!!!!  Well I've rested by walking and doing eliptical instead of running.  I hope to try and get back in the running again soon.  I miss my bike rides and still enjoy them occasionally... it's easier for me to push myself harder on a bike for some reason... but I've also started dreaming about maybe running a 10K.. a half marathon.. and maybe even a marathon or doing a triathalon.  I'm not nor have I ever been a great swimmer... that part will have to be developed.. The MS150 comes to mind too!

Sorry for the long post but I'm excited about being a part of this community and I'm hoping that we can help each other to continue improve our health and enjoy our lives in great ways!  I'm really needing help on improving my run times and some direction on how to work up to the 10K-1/2 Marathon arena.  Blessings to you all and glad I found this community!! 

Artie Anderson

Lufkin Texas

Be blessed by being a blessing!

Aug 9, 2013
    11,213. Jan 15, 2014 6:54 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

CynceRN wrote:

My knee still hurts and I am getting very discouraged.

The two types of recurring injuries I've endured over the years that brought me to the point of "getting very discouraged" are knees and shin splints.  For me at least, getting past those two buggers required me to take time off, the shin splints were so discouraging I figured I'd never be able to run again and I up and quit.  I tried running again about a year later, and had some shin pain, but by keeping the pace real slow I got past it.  My various knee issues have been frustrating and annoying, but at least I was able to get past them each time with only a layoff of a few months (and then restarting really slowly).

All I can say is hang in there; give your body time to rest and rebuild, but always with a mind to getting it going again. 

Fat old man PRs:

• artieanderson Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 14, 2014
    11,214. Jan 15, 2014 8:33 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Ice, ice, ice.  Took a friends suggestion and started icing my R knee when it stopped me a while back.  Pain reduced and swelling went away.  MD agreed that my treatment was sound during annual check-up. I ice after every run now and it keeps the flare ups away.  Also epsome salt bath works wonders.  Hot as you can stand it, dump about 4 cups in and jump in. You'll feel better all over.  May not work for you but was a blessing for me.  Good luck!

Artie Anderson

Lufkin Texas

Be blessed by being a blessing!

• Mark_Culp Rookie 1 posts since
    May 8, 2013
    11,215. Jan 15, 2014 12:19 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Like many others I just found this site and have been reading many similar stories.  Here's my info:

Last February, at 51 and 350#, I drew the line in the sand and vowed never to cross it again.  I started to use the MyFitnessPal app to track every piece of food that I consumed and began running (well, jogging . . . . walking . . . you get the idea).  Did my first 5K in May and also committed to doing at least one race a month to keep motivated.  As I begin 2014, I've lost 60# thus far and am aiming to take at least another 40 off by summer.  I did my first 10K in last November, and have registered for not one but four half-marathons this year.  I have 3 mentors who are all hard-core runner (all 3 of them completed IM Louisville this past year) who are VERY helpful when it comes to advice and motivation.  One of them also has lost over 100#, so it's nice to be able to bounce ideas off of someone who has "been there". 

I'm now in Week #2 of Hal Higdon's Half-Marathon Training Plan, and am amazed at how much I've improved in less than a year.  I can now actually "run" for up to 30 minutes without the need of a walk recovery (a year ago this would've been downright impossible).  Just reading everyone else's stories is continual motivation along my journey.  Keep up the great work everyone!

Mark Culp

Cold Spring, KY

Aug 9, 2013
    11,216. Jan 15, 2014 1:18 PM (in response to Mark_Culp)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Artie and Mark, welcome and congratulations on your commitment and progress! 

This thread has proven to be a good "touch-base" point for lots of us; even the "Plank Holder" Wideguy stops in from time to time, and he started this thread back in 2010. 

A few recurring themes:

• Don't be tempted by the "dark side" called TFFFS (Too Fast, too Far, too Frequently, too Soon).  Why?  The muscular and cardiovascular systems of the human body develop more rapidly than the skeletal and connective tissue components of your infrastructure, and getting sucked in by TFFFS will most likely get you hurt.
    • Take things easy, if it don't feel right, it (probably) ain't.  Said another way, if something like a joint is hurting, don't "rub some dirt on it and run through it", that's a sure way of getting injured.
    • If you're feeling frisky on any given day; instead of running your normal (or planned) routine faster, slow it down a bit and run further instead.  Why?  In addition to TFFFS above, building a good solid base of long slow miles is a key component to both weight loss and faster times.
    • Signing up for races is a great way of keeping motivated.
    • Have fun!

Fat old man PRs:

Sep 6, 2013
    11,217. Jan 16, 2014 6:15 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Knees...I hate mine....I do not rest well and taking it easy is not a normal part of my vocabulary....I am trying to find a pool to swim in for awhile. I will try more ice and the epsom salts sounds great but i used up all of it in this county on my horse

Shipo: I am living proof that TFFFS can be lethal, at least to knees. I will never give up and if worse comes to worse I will see the dreaded doctor.

Sep 6, 2013
    11,218. Jan 17, 2014 5:46 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Fluffy: I meant to respond to this sooner. Glad your Mom is coming home. My friend's friend is walking now with stand by assist and continuing to make slow but steady progress. You have your hands full and I will keep you and Mom in my prayers. Keep running. Cheapest therapy there is. I always feel elated and empowered at the end of a run. Even a jog to the mailbox (1 mile round trip) We are doing something most other peole won't even consider trying...we are runners...go us.

Knees better today than in awhile. Considering a walk tomorrow but nervous. Don't want set backs.

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    11,219. Jan 17, 2014 8:54 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thank you CynceRN!  My house is in disaray but filled with love. So many people have come to help build many things to make my mom comfortable.  I  plan to keep running.  I have come to terms with the fact that I will not be able to run a half or full marathon until my mom is a bit better but I can still run around my neighborhood and on the trails.  The fact that my mom can't move her legs really makes me feel blessed that I can and that I can...slow but I can run.  With that note......this weeks motivation poster:

78328_262407134_l.jpg

Our running coach says you can do anything for a minute.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...