Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1092 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2014 1:17 PM by shorty5k
shorty5k Pro 111 posts since
Dec 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 16, 2014 2:57 PM

Returning after a rough couple years.

Hi my name is Tom I am 49 and returning to C25k after completed it 3years ago. A little about not long after I completed the program my wife was diagnosed with cancer and I had to stop running to take care of her just not enough time with work my sons sports and trying to keep my wife healthy, unfortunately my Ronda lost her battle with cancer last February and I have sat around for a year letting myself get terribly out of shape. I have decided it is time for a lifestyle change and time to get off the couch and get moving again. I need to drop about 30# and get my lungs back in shape.

So anyone that cares to join me on this journey I would love  to have you, if u have a newly formed group I would love to join you. The last group I started here we had 9 of us doing it together we would check with each other every night. I know at least 3 of them are still running, 1 is doing marathons now, the other two run a variety of races.

Thanks for listening

Tom

"The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat"

• pj29340 Amateur 24 posts since
    Aug 22, 2007
    1. Jan 16, 2014 3:51 PM (in response to shorty5k)

Hi ya Tom ! First off, I am very sorry about your wife; I hope you have some great memories of her. I am new here myself. I was a recreational runner years ago but after years of neglecting my health I had a heart attack at age 45.  I am trying to get my running legs back under me but can only run for a short few blocks at a time right now.
    Good luck to you and keep us posted as to your progress !

• PhyllisET Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 19, 2014
    2. Jan 19, 2014 7:21 PM (in response to shorty5k)

Hi Tom,      You are not along in losing a spouse.  Too many good people left us too early.  

I am a slight female who began running April 2013.  Have done a few 5k, then snow covered my sidewalk, have not run for 2 months.  BUT am going to Calif Feb 17.   Will run 4 times and come back to a 5K in March.   I trained with Fleet Feet sports last year.  Probably will this year again, I recommend them highly.  That is in Cincinnati.   

Tom enjoy your getting back into shape.  You Can Do This.   Phyllis :-)

• RunSuperwoman Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 4, 2014
    3. Jan 22, 2014 6:49 AM (in response to shorty5k)

Hello Tom,

My deepest sympathies to you about your wife.  We all have to grieve in our own way....and now congratulations in taking the first steps to reclaim your life!  I myself haven't run since 2010. I have my own battles and I too have made the choice to reclaim my life in 2014! I have my first 5k at the end of March....and subsequently have already signed up for several other runs through out the year to keep me on track and motivated.  My cousin (who lives in a different state that I do) and I are doing some together to help with accountability, and our BIG goal is to do the Disney Princess Half Marathon next year in 2015 which has always been a dream.  I decided to reach out to a forum like this because I know I am going to need support and enouragement, and I would like to offer it to others as well.  THIS TIME I will not quit!! I prefer to only run outside....I have a hard time with balance on a tread mill....and we just had a snow. So I am starting my training this Saturday (I have been very sick with a bad infection and just got the all clear yesterday from my doctor!!) I am super excited!!

I look forward to making friends here and watching as we all cross our finish lines!!

Dawn

Unless You Puke, Faint or Die.....KEEP GOING!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...