Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

952 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2014 1:20 PM by MotionShoe
jagsfan05 Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 26, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 26, 2014 5:40 PM

Need desperate help for new shoes

I am severely frustrated. I am 26 years old...163 lbs and 6'1". Skinny legs. Not a hardcore runner but I do about 8 miles a week to stay in shape (mostly 5k's, etc.)

I have extremely narrow feet. For the past few years I have had first the Nike Pegasus 26 and then I got the Nike Pegasus 27. Before those I had a pair of Brooks GTS and liked those but the Nike Pegasus felt even better. Absolutely loved the shoes...well I was wearing the Pegasus 27 for a while and needed new shoes.

So the current ones in the market are now the Pegasus 30. My Pegasus 26/27 weren't narrow so the guy at the store had me try on narrows of 30. They felt ok so I bought them...after my first run I noticed there wasn't enough toe room. So I went back and got the Pegasus 30 again but this time in regular size. The toebox didn't seem to be an issue in regular size...but I have to either tie them extremely tight (and they end up hurting my foot) or extremely loose (then they slip). On my runs they weren't really hurting my feet until this last one where my big toe on my right foot started rubbing against the shoe and was aching. Overall they don't feel as comfortable as the Pegasus 26 or 27 either..

Just walking around they don't feel right size wise and they are the exact same size 12 as my old Pegasus. Also on my old Pegasus I had to tie them tighter but I had no problems. I went back to the store and the lady suggested I try Narrow in 12.5 but they were still tight in the toebox so we went up to 13 and they were better but obviously now to big...

I then tried some Asics, Brooks, Adidas but everything felt like bricks compared to the Nike. I tried the Nike Vomero 8's which felt ok but a little loose...just not oversold by anything like I used to be with my old Pegasus 26 and 27.

Any suggestions? I am frustrated on what to do...

• overcorre Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 28, 2014
    1. Jan 28, 2014 3:15 PM (in response to jagsfan05)

Hi, your best choice is to find good trainers'shoe shop and try shoes on in there. Also ask sales assistants, they are trained to advise you.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jan 29, 2014 5:54 PM (in response to jagsfan05)

I have narrow feet too and started out in Nikes years ago but when I started having trouble with the toe box I started trying different brands.  There are some funky ways you can lace the shoes to help make them a little tighter without hurting your feet - someone at a running store could probably show you.  I've had really good luck with replacing the tradtitional laces with the bungee ones - that way I can get them pretty tight but because they give they don't hurt my feet.  I agree with the previous reply though - go to a specialty running store for the best advice.

• MotionShoe Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 11, 2014
    3. Feb 11, 2014 1:20 PM (in response to jagsfan05)

Yeah...hate when you find a shoe and they change the style on you! You can check out this video on tying laces. My heel tend to rub on shoes and i switched my lacing technique and it really helped out.

Shoe Effecianado | Father | Husband | Runner

Motion Shoe Lab

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...