Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1212 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2014 9:00 AM by shipo
FitIndianRun Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 26, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 26, 2014 3:10 PM

Time gap between half Marathon and Marathon.

I am 43 and running half marathon on Feb 9. I have been running for past two months and cover almost 20-25 miles each week . Running half marathon should not be problem for me as I have ran one last year too. It usually takes me around 2 hours and 15 minutes to complete half marathon.

I have also registered for marathon on Mar 16 but little skeptical about it because I am not following any training schedule for running a marathon. However, I am ready to run around 30 miles per week starting from this week.

Can somebody please advise me if that would be enough for a novice runner like me to successfully run marathon on Mar 16?

Thanks,

Fit Indian Run

I love reading, writing and running. I am a novice runner who is very passionate about this sport.

Check out my blog - http://fitindianrun.blogspot.com/

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jan 26, 2014 4:20 PM (in response to FitIndianRun)
    Time gap between half Marathon and Marathon.

As the runner you met in Houston said, you don't want to overdo it or jump into it too fast.  If you have only been "running" for two months, the half may be too much.  If you've been running longer (your blog implies more like a year) and only training for the half for two months . . . well, you're better off but would be well advised to go easy at the half.

For the marathon, you could conceivably do it, but most plans recommend peaking around 40 miles per week, with a 20 mile long run.  And plans usually run 16 weeks or more.  Take a look at the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan to get some idea.  http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Good luck.

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jan 27, 2014 12:06 PM (in response to FitIndianRun)
    Re: Time gap between half Marathon and Marathon.

You have not been running enough to run a marathon in Mar.  Can you do it,

probably but it will not be pretty!!!  I would advise running another year as you have been and run that marathon next year, but if you must run it plan to take walk beaks often!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jan 28, 2014 7:40 AM (in response to FitIndianRun)

I figured I would let someone else say it more emphatically than I did.  You would be woefully undertrained for a marathon in March.  You could do it, if you're careful and persistent and use a lot of walking breaks.  A marathon is not like a half-marathon, only longer.  You can fake a half. You can't fake a full.  That is, you can do a half under-trained and still feel OK afterward.  Run a marathon undertrained and you will feel like crap before you're even close to the finish.  Consider that the halfway point of a marathon is considered by most to be 20 miles.  Have you run 20 miles lately?

To get back to your original question, sure, running 30+ miles per week will make it better (not necessarily easier).  But you will still be undertrained.  I'm not trying to discourage you from running a marathon, just encouraging you to do a better job of training before you do.  Good luck in any event.

Len

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    6. Jan 28, 2014 9:00 AM (in response to FitIndianRun)

Len took the approach of whether or not you could finish a full marathon with your training schedule; and he was spot on with his analysis.

I am going to take a slightly different approach; you may well be able to gut it out for the full marathon, but you may well also injure yourself to such an extent you'll never run again (or at least not for a very long time).  Long story short, your training is woefully insufficient for preparing your body to endure the rigors of a marathon, errr, unless you walk most of it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points