Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

301 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2014 7:07 PM by Haselsmasher RSS
JonTalan Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 27, 2014 6:49 PM

Wild West Relay

I just got onto a team for the Wild West Relay (A 200-mile relay road race is a team-oriented event with 36 legs. Each team consists of about twelve runners and two vehicles) in August, so I have plenty of time.

Any suggestions on how to train for something like this?

I'm already at 5+ miles per run, with 3-4 per week plus cross-training and/or yoga.

6/19/2011 Father Day 5K - 30.24/9.4pace - First 5K

9/05/2011 Colorado Run 10K - 1:02.26/10.04pace - First 10K

11/05/2011 Heart Center Half -

05/06/2012 Colorado Marathon

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Jan 27, 2014 7:18 PM (in response to JonTalan)
    Re: Wild West Relay

I was recruited onto  an ultra "Reach the Beach - NH" team (an "ultra" team means a 6-person team) last September and I had a ball.  Funny thing, I didn't even know such a race existed up until 2 days prior to the start of the event, so, while I didn't train for the event per-se, as the miles and legs ground on, I got stronger and stronger as many of my (younger) team-mates started fading (I was the oldest on our team by some 25 years).  Our team leader told me as I was about to start the 25th leg (my 5th) that the training I'd done up to that point had, unwittingly, been perfect for such a relay event.

So, how did I train?

In April of last year I started running between 3 and 6 miles, 2 to 3 days per week, and then worked my way up to running every day by mid June.  Once I got to a point where I could run say, 6 miles per day, 7 days per week, I started bumping the daily mileage; first to 7 miles per day, then 8 (which is about where I was for the RTB-NH event), then 10, and now it's more like at least ten; always remembering to keeping my pace slow.

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    2. Jan 27, 2014 7:07 PM (in response to JonTalan)
    Wild West Relay

I don't have a specific answer to your question, but I would look at (or get decided within your team) which runner on which van you're going to be.  Then check out the elevation profiles and distances for those legs.  I haven't run the WIld West Relay but I was a van driver for a team a few years ago that consisted of many of my friends.  We were in Van 1.  The first 6 legs (van full) were relatively normal stuff - which got us up to Livermore school.  But that's when the climbing starts.  The ascent on Rabbit Ears pass the morning of the second day must be a killer.  That was Van 2 as well. 

It looks like a really fun event.  I wish I would have been able to run it.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points