Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12047 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2014 7:48 AM by SMARIETTA RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • DipMom Rookie 175 posts since
    Jan 2, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jan 14, 2014 3:27 AM (in response to shipo)
    C25K WK1D1 - New Group Starting

Thanks Shipo!

I about died when that alarm went off at 4:45...so not a morning person.  I had laid out clothes and shoes, but spent 20 minutes puttering around looking for the iPod and the HRM.  The run was OK but I am in the worst shape of my life.  Heart rate jumped right up to 135 the first interval so I decided to keep it nice and slow.  It came down during the walks which is encouraging.  I guess I'll just see how the next run goes (and plan a bit better the night before.)

• Nicbeast Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 23, 2013
    46. Jan 17, 2014 2:42 PM (in response to Michael.)

Well, I hurt my hip.  I pushed myself too hard and now I'm back to being couched for at least two weeks, maybe a month.  I've already been staying off it since Monday.  The Rx: Rx Strength Aleve, heating pad, yoga.  I can maybe do a bike or elliptical.

I'm so grumpy about this. 

Any yoga video suggestions?  Gentle yoga, stretching yoga...

Any suggestion as to how I don't lose too much ground?

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    47. Jan 19, 2014 8:36 AM (in response to Nicbeast)

W7D3 done-zero problems

I am really having to exercise some self restraint to faithfully finish W8 and W9 and  not just start running 3 miles every other day. I am sure I could do it tommorrow----- but 2 weeks from now will be soon enough

Nicbeast,

I do yoga after every running session.

Basically I walk 1/2 mile- then do the run-then walk 1/2 mile as a cool down---and then do 20-30 minutes of yoga( trying to get the yoga up to 30-40 minutes every day as a minimum.

Rather than yoga videos and DIY'ing it----- I would strongly suggest taking some actual yoga classes.

Look for something called "intro to yoga"--- and after that a series of "gentle Yoga" or "Silver Yoga" classes.

much,Much MUCH easier to learn proper technique  in a class with a GOOD instructor----- very easy to get hurt DIYing it at home alone with a video.

I will tell you as a guy--- it's a little humbling to be in a  silver yoga class with a bunch of grannies, LOL

In my case- I happen to casually know  my yoga teacher because she is the wife of a guy I casually know from running-------so I know the teacher is about 72. I can also see that she is as lithe and limber as a girl of about 25------

so when a 72 year old woman walks in to lead a yoga class wearing spandex and she bends over and puts the palms of her hands flat on the floor without bending her knees---------and looks  gracefull doing so---well you have to respect that

take your time with the c25k-don't rush it.

take your time with the yoga-don't rush it

it's a lifelong process

and remember in yoga class------------ be sure to use the cork blocks to bring the floor up to YOU if you can't reach all the way to the floor.- you will see what I mean.

stephen

Oct 3, 2009
    48. Jan 26, 2014 8:51 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)
    Re: C25K WK1D1 - New Group Starting

And then there was ONE ?

W8D3 done

Starting My  Week 9 THREE mile runs on Tuesday.

hoping Michael,stella,cindy,Nicbeast,tchr20,and Dipmom are approaching the W9 finish line as well.

I can't be thew only survivor can I ?

I have been thinking about where to rationally go from here.

My personal inclinitation typically leads me to do too much,too soon.- That's the mistake I made the first time I did c25k back  around 09 or so.

I think what I will do is stay at 3 miles a day, 3 days a week for 2-3 weeks or so and then later in Feb. move to a four day/week schedule

initially

Mon. 3

tues. off

Weds. 3

thurs. Off

Fri. 1

Sat. 3

sunday off

and then very SLOWLY add to the totall.

Probably every week or 2 add 1/8 mile to each  week day run and add 1/4 mile to the Saturday "long run" and slowly develope my base..

I feel pretty strongly that my biggest mistake the first time I did C25k was I built up the weekend  " long run" to quickly and too far out of proportion to my total weekly mileage.

Been there- done that- not gonna make the same mistake again.

Best wishes to my fellow c25k travelers- hope to hear from some of you in a week or so.

stephen

Dec 23, 2013
    49. Jan 30, 2014 12:55 PM (in response to Michael.)

I'm still injured.  I'm shooting for Monday and see how it goes.

• Kelly1066 Pro 108 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    50. Jan 31, 2014 2:46 PM (in response to SMARIETTA)

I LOVE what SMARIETTA said about being in yoga class... it's amazing to see how experience and practice can kick the butt of youth.  That's one of the best parts about running, or yoga, or any other form of exercise - you can watch yourself slowly and steadily improve over time, and know that your older self is going to be more awesome than your younger self!  Although... with some healthy eating along with that fitness, you may look younger than your current self, too

Fun checking into this thread and seeing all the people who started weeks ago getting towards the last part of the C25K program!  AHHH!!!!  Amazing!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

Oct 3, 2009
    51. Feb 2, 2014 8:37 AM (in response to Kelly1066)

I guess I made it through c25k.

My 3 mile run this morning was-----dare I say it?------ kind of boring.

no aches, no pains, no huffing and puffing--just settle into my pace and run the 3 miles.

I don't want to dislocate my shoulder  patting myself on the back- because I knew going in I could do this having done it before

and having done it before I knew slowing down would make a  lot of aches and pains just dissolve.

My plan for this week is 3 miles Tuesday, 3 miles thursday, one mile on Saturday and 3 miles on Sunday.

Best wishes to all and I hope everyone is still chugging along,

stephen

• shipo Legend 340 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    52. Feb 2, 2014 10:09 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

Congratulations, well done! 

• DipMom Rookie 175 posts since
    Jan 2, 2007
    53. Feb 3, 2014 5:37 AM (in response to shipo)

Way to go Smarietta!!  :)  I'm so proud of you!  Please don't abandon us, you are such an inspiration. 

Sorry I haven't been here.  Went scuba diving a week ago and felt some pressure in my ear.  Thought it was water in my ear...but I ended up having a terrible ear infection.  What am I...a four year old?  I didn't even know adults could get ear infections.  I actually ended up missing two days of work so I started over this weekend and just did W1D1. 

I also did something completely self indulgent and hired a personal trainer!  It was expensive, but I just decided I deserve it and I figured I could use some of our income tax return.  So after I paid him for 6 weeks we did our taxes and found out we owe $5,000.00!  We have never had to pay before and I am still reeling from the news.  At least running is free! 

Cheers

Oct 3, 2009
    54. Feb 9, 2014 8:03 AM (in response to DipMom)

well folks- I added a 4th day of running  this week.

Tues. 3

Thurs. 3

Sat. 1

Sunday 3-1/8

this week I will just add 1/8 mile to each run

the reason I added the 4th run now- is that eventually most of the training plans I see and have used-are gonna have me running at least 4 times a week-so I figured I might as well add that 4th day in now when adding a mile will be easy.

so far-zero problems and this mornings run was a piece of cake. doing about 30 minutes of yoga after each run and it is really keeping my hips,calves,and ankles loose-plus I strongly feel it is increasing my balance and coordination.

Best wishes to all,

stephen

Dec 23, 2013
    55. Feb 10, 2014 11:44 AM (in response to Michael.)

Ok it's been one month.  I'm heading back to the treadmill tonight.  Wish me luck.

Oct 3, 2009
    56. Feb 11, 2014 1:38 PM (in response to Nicbeast)

take it slow----

and DEFINITELY good luck

Stephen

Oct 3, 2009
    57. Feb 16, 2014 8:20 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

things going well this week--

well except that I had an  emergency situation with one of my dogs yesterday-- took her to the vet and then spent the day with her. she was pretty heavily medicated and totally out of it so I was afraid to leave her--as A result I missed my scheduled 1-1/8 mile run yesterday( that's the 4th day of running I am sneaking in each week at this point.)

at any rate I don't feel at all bad about skiping the run- taking care of one of my dogs is infinitely more important than running a lousy mile.

Ran 3-1/4 mile this morning

this weeks plan is 

M lift

T 3-1/4

W lift

Thurs. 3-1/4

F lift

Sat.  1-1/4

Sun. 3-1/4

total 11 miles?

Best wishes all,

stephen

Oct 3, 2009
    58. Feb 23, 2014 7:48 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

no problems this week- piece of cake actually. Ran 3-1/2 miles this morning at 11:25 pace- probably too slow.

this weeks plan

Tues------ 3-3/8

Thuirs.----3-3/8

Sat.--------1-3/8

Fri-----------3-1/2

total 11-3/8 ?

Best wishes, all,

Stephen

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...