Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1891183 Views 11,335 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM by BreezyB24 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 748 749 750 751 752 ... 756 Previous Next
  • artieanderson Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 14, 2014
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,235. Jan 29, 2014 10:43 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey folks, just an update... issues with signing in for some reason.  Finally hit my initial goal of 260 lbs last Saturday.  That's 100lbs lost since Jan 2010.. now to keep it off.  I was also having some upper thigh/hip pain and I layed off the running for a month and put some superfeet insoles in my NB MV890V3's and kept walking and doing eliptical work.  Ran Saturday for the first time since the Santa Hustle in Galveston and I finished without stopping without too much pain and anguish... Then I road my Giant Sedona bike for 16 miles on Sunday and felt great.  Thigh/hip is being quiet so far so I'm looking forward to running a 5K in Bowling Green KY with some friends on Feb 8th (if it's not too cold) and hope to keep ramping up my workouts as time goes on.  I saw some shoe discussion above and I have to say I love my NB's.  Probably the best shoes I have ever owned... I bought 2 pair! 

Artie Anderson

Lufkin Texas

Be blessed by being a blessing!

• CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,236. Jan 31, 2014 7:07 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Swimming mostly. Though the last time I was swimmimg a lot i started off running one way and swimming back. rough in the middle where the water came up to my eyes. I wanted to start swimming some anyway...Triathlon training

• shipo Legend 340 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,237. Jan 31, 2014 7:43 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Cool, rehab and training at the same time; maybe you can bottle that and sell it. 

• BigBeauty Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 31, 2014
    11,238. Jan 31, 2014 8:50 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi All,

Just wanted to pop in and say that this is a fantastic blog. I'm currently 258lbs and just last week decided to start training towards my first 5k. I'm really excited and motivated and I'm hoping I can get some good tips from all of you pros.

I completed my first run/walk (from the C25K schedule) yesterday, and I feel like I could push myself just slightly harder. Should I go for: longer run intervals with the same speed or the same intervals with increased speed? Also, I'm heading to new balance tomorrow to get fitted for the right shoes, but I have a sore spot on the ball of my foot from yesterday. How can I keep that from becoming a full on blister? I don't want to interupt my training.

All the best!!

Aug 9, 2013
    11,239. Jan 31, 2014 9:17 AM (in response to BigBeauty)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hey Beauty, congratulations on starting C25k!

A few comments:

• Pushing harder at this stage of your training (which pretty much encompasses the entire duration of the C25K program) is not recommended; doing so often (nearly always?) ends in injury.
    • Stick with the plan; don't embellish (see Item #1).
    • You might want to consider finding a local running club to workout with (many clubs have current C25K participants and some are more than likely right there with you); when someone is relying on you and vica-versa, it always helps with motivation.
    • Once you've completed C25K:
      • Continue running roughly 3 days per week, always making sure you have at least one rest day between runs.
      • If on any given day you're feeling frisky, do NOT run faster, run further instead.  Why?  Your muscular and cardio-vascular systems will develop faster than your connective tissue (ligaments and tendons), bones, and joints; in an effort to avoid injury, you want to keep it slow so all of your systems can develop at about the same rate.
      • Once you're comfortably able to run six miles or more at a crack (don't laugh, it will happen), then you can do stuff like picking up the speed for the last couple mile of a 6-miler.
    • Remember to have fun.
    • When the day of your first race comes along, don't worry about being near the back, or even dead last; you'll still be faster than the folks on the sidelines and way-way faster than folks on the proverbial couch.
    • Keep us posted on your progress.
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11,240. Jan 31, 2014 11:20 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

One comment besides what shipo said, about that sore spot on the ball of your foot.  Potential blisters show up as "hot spots" with a burning sensation.  If it's just sore, it's probably something else, possibly a result of old shoes, maybe from pushing too hard, tough to tell.  Keep track of it and let us know more details if it doesn't go away.

Len

Aug 9, 2013
    11,241. Feb 2, 2014 11:19 AM (in response to shipo)

Looks like I, temporarily at least, rejoined this club...

At my annual physical on Tuesday I weighed in at 195, so all was well there, however, less than 24 hours later (with 12 miles of running in between), my company had their annual health screening event, and by that scale I was 204.  The "by the book" medical technician gave me a stern talking to about being "obese" (my BMI was 31, per her estimate), and insisting I do what everything possible to get down to less than 25 (which means I'd have to weigh 164 or less).  I informed her that I felt the BMI calculation was a bunch of crap, and for many-many people, a completely innacurate means of measuring relative health.  "Well," she said, "this is the established method we use and you're obese."

My response was terse, "Ma'am, the next time I'll weight less than 165, I'll be rotting in my grave."

Oh well, guess I'll have to run 3,000+ miles this year so that maybe next year I can have a sub-30 BMI, at least then I'll only be "overweight". 

• jgilrdz27 Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 7, 2009
    11,242. Feb 3, 2014 8:46 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone... update...

just completed my 2nd 10K this year on 2-1-14 (1st one was 1-11-14 1:08:48).  My time was 1:02:50 clock time still waiting on my chip time.  I'm very excited to see that i improved my time by about 6 mins eventhough im not running as i should be.... this coming weekend ( 2-9-14 ) I have my first half-marathon ever!!! WISH ME LUCK GUYS!! Any advise for a first timer is more than welcomed....

J. Gilbert

San Juan, TX

Aug 9, 2013
    11,243. Feb 3, 2014 9:05 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congratulations on the improvement; unless you started at the front of the pack (or if the race was really small), there's a pretty good chance you broke an hour for the 10K.

As for advice on how to run your half, that would depend upon what you're after (running just to finish, or racing to beat a particular time or person), and what your last six months of training has looked like.  Give us a few more details and I'm sure we'll be able to formulate some advice. 

Dec 7, 2009
    11,244. Feb 3, 2014 10:01 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

My goal for the 1/2 is just to finish the race nonstop...as for training: haven't been doing a lot of running... most of my training consists of Crossfit circuit work outs.... I've felt really good on my 10K's... I don't think i've felt this good since high school (class of 97).

J. Gilberto

San Juan, TX

Aug 9, 2013
    11,245. Feb 3, 2014 11:02 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)

Hmmm, color me concerned.  Why?  Unless you've been putting real miles on a road or, heaven forbid, a treadmill, no amout of crossfit will prepare your body for the rigors of running a half marathon.  The fact is, nothing prepares the bones, ligaments, tendons, and joints to endure the rigors of running a half marathon like running.  So while your muscular and cardiovascular systems may be conditioned well enough to propell you 13.1 miles down the road, the rest of your biomechanical infrastructure is probably in a poor state of preparation for such a distance.  Long story short, while you may well be able to run 6.2 miles without doing too much damage, running more than twice that distance makes you a candidate for injury.

Were I in your shoes, I would either give myself permission to alternate walking and running for this weekend's half marathon, or I would skip it, do more training, and do another half later on.

Sorry for the not so encouraging advice.

Dec 7, 2009
    11,246. Feb 12, 2014 9:17 AM (in response to shipo)

Not at all.... I'm glad your telling me this now that i still have the chance to either opt-out of the race or like you said go with the alternating walking and running plan.... So THANK YOU VERY MUCH SHIPO!!, it means a lot to have people that have been/are in my shoes and have the knowledge and are willing to share with others.   Thank you everyone.... Keep running, Keep living!!

J. Gilberto Rodriguez

San Juan, TX

Sep 6, 2013
    11,247. Feb 4, 2014 1:40 PM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Shipo always has good advice and very willing to share, and if I had listened to my body i wouldn't have been sidelined for the last 2 months. Increase distnace ans especially speed very slowly. but keep running

Dec 7, 2009
    11,248. Feb 4, 2014 2:01 PM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Yes, always good avice CynceRN...I always read through them everytime a new person joins. I'm still debating on whether or not to skip the race on sunday.  My goal is not to post an awesome time but to finish the race. 

Sep 6, 2013
    11,249. Feb 7, 2014 5:35 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)
    200+ Pound Club!

My knee has felt good for a week. I am thinking about a nice trail walk tomorrow. and I have to join that Y and hit the pool....but the Olympics started yesterday......so many things to do and so little time....and life is so short

Shipo: Hows your weather? Horses have cabin fever? Mine are looking good but I was doing farm chores in the pouring rain this AM. Sometimes I think snow would be better.

Happy running everybody...lots of LSD and no injuries.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...