Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1065 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2014 11:39 PM by Halfmarathonclub
jamesbowers23 Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 8, 2014 9:36 AM

Will my body...

Will my body tell me when to stop running? How do I know when I have pushed too hard? What are some signs of pushing too hard?

Thanks everyone. I am training for a 13.1 in Olympia, WA.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Feb 8, 2014 9:56 AM (in response to jamesbowers23)
    Will my body...

Well, yes, at some point your body will give up.  Assuming you don't run to the point of exhaustion, pushing to hard usually shows up later in the day, or the next day, as DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).  Sometimes it will appear as actual injury: pulled muscles, strained tendons, aching joints, etc.  Increasing mileage or pace (but not both at the same time) slowly and progressively will help to get you to your half-marathon without any issues.  Increasing too fast can lead to injury and a long layoff.  Hopefully you have a good mileage base and a good training plan to guide you to your goal.

Len

• jsimms435 Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 8, 2012
    2. May 29, 2014 9:45 AM (in response to jamesbowers23)
    Will my body...

Yes, overall fatigue and burn out and injury like Lenzlaw said are some of the main things that could happen.  What I have heard and try to follow is the 10% rule of not adding more than 10% of the total amount of running to your next week.  Allowing your body to get comfortable with the new mileage before adding more.

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    3. Jun 1, 2014 5:50 PM (in response to jamesbowers23)
    Will my body...

Also if you push too hard over a period of time, you may start to show signs of overtraining. These can be subtle at first but could include a higher than usual resting heart rate, unusual fatigue that has no other explanation, and coming down with annoying minor illnesses (colds, etc.). Listen to your body to avoid them.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• Halfmarathonclub Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 19, 2013
    4. Jul 5, 2014 11:36 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Will my body...

Perfect answer, exactly what I was thinking as well

Nicole Blomgren

Founder & President

Fifty States Half Marathon Club & Halfmarathonsearch.com Half Marathon Calendar

• Halfmarathonclub Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 19, 2013
    5. Jul 5, 2014 11:39 PM (in response to jamesbowers23)
    Will my body...

Have you thought about maybe picking up a training plan for 13.1?

Hopefully you are doing some easy run days, some harder run days and one long slow distance day (that should increase a tiny bit every week up to your 13.1).  But I really like Lenzlaw's overall answer.  I'd say just don't over do it or you'll also burn yourself out prior to race day.

Nicole Blomgren

Founder & President

Fifty States Half Marathon Club & Halfmarathonsearch.com Half Marathon Calendar

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points