Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3850 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2014 8:26 PM by LyricGirl 1 2 Previous Next
lllGurulll Rookie 6 posts since
Nov 17, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2014 1:43 AM

Frustrated with my shoes

I don't know if it is just my running style or not but I have yet to get 300 miles out of a pair of shoes.  I started with Kayano 17s and only got 280.  Then switched to Nimbus 14s and got just about 300 miles.  Now I am in Pegasus+ 29s and haven't even hit 190 and already experiencing pain.  These were the shoes my local running shop recommended too so I no longer trust them for good advice.

I keep reading that good shoes should get anywhere from 300 - 500 miles so I guess I am at least close to the low end.  Would really like to get to the high end.

I'm 6'1" 210lbs

normal arch

normal step - no over or under pronating

Average a 9:40 pace and 160 cadence (both feet)

Generally run 12-16 miles per week.  Outside whenever possible but I do treadmill too.

I'm inclined to just go back to NImbus but would really like to find a shoe that could do better and can at least get me to 6 months without pain.

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Jan 31, 2014 6:51 AM (in response to lllGurulll)
    Frustrated with my shoes

A few thoughts/comments/questions in no particular order:

• I am five inches shorter than you but weigh about the same (maybe 10 pounds less on a good day), my arches and step are also pretty similar to yours, and yet I typically get over 1,000 miles on my shoes, however, most of those miles are trail miles so shoes don't take the same impact beating as folks who run on the roads.
    • What type of surfaces to you run on?
    • The pain you speak of, where is the pain?
    • Could it be that you are over striding which in turn is causing your foot to strike too far in front of your body?

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    Aug 9, 2013
    3. Feb 7, 2014 5:48 AM (in response to lllGurulll)
    Frustrated with my shoes

I believe the current trend of looking at cadence is just another running fad and should be taken out of the equation.  Said another way, if you have good stride mechanics, cadence is irrelevant.

My question about "over striding" was kind of more to the point; do you primarily "stay over your feet" (as my younger brother puts it), or is your forefoot strike way out in front of you forcing the heel to strike well before the rest of the foot hits the ground?

Fat old man PRs:

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Feb 7, 2014 7:37 AM (in response to shipo)
    Frustrated with my shoes

I have the feeling that shipo is right in suggesting that over-striding may be part of your problem.  This is based purely on your description.  Cadence is usually mentioned because higher cadence (up to a point) usually means shorter strides, which also brings the footplant more "over your feet"/under your body, rather than well out in front.  (There is also the theory that since elites run with higher cadence - 180 and up - that it is more efficient.  That has never been proven to the best of my knowledge.  More like a self-fulfilling prophecy.)

Len

• Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    6. Feb 7, 2014 5:15 PM (in response to lllGurulll)
    Re: Frustrated with my shoes

Have you ever had a PT or good chiro evaluate your hip function?  The hips have a huge impact on the mechanics in the foot.  It's possible you're "overworking" your leg and, as a result, the shoe. 

I had chronic heel pain and my PT relieved it by resolving a problem I had in my hip.  She did nothing specifically at the foot to resolve the pain.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

Aug 9, 2013
    8. Feb 8, 2014 5:07 AM (in response to lllGurulll)

Sorry to say it, but I'm thinking at this point your chances of finding an answer on an internet forum are somewhere between slim and none.

Fat old man PRs:

Jan 18, 2008
    9. Feb 8, 2014 9:35 AM (in response to lllGurulll)

It's unlikely that "just finding the right shoe will resolve it" since you've had the same problem running in a variety of shoes ranging from highly-cushioned neutral to very supportive stability shoes.  I doubt it's a "medical issue" so much as a mechanical issue, something in your gait.  I have to wonder about your statement that you "run with a midfoot strike and NEVER land heel first".  Are you saying you never have any wear on the heel of your shoes?  That would be  most unusual.

Len

May 25, 2009
    11. Feb 8, 2014 4:12 PM (in response to lllGurulll)

I ran in a single pair of Saucony Kinvaras for years - literally.  Was it high weekly mileage?  No - I was getting over long term injuries and wasn't running very much.  Did I track the miles on them?  No.   Was it over 500 miles?  WAY over.  I currently run in Brooks Pure Connect.  They only have about 75-100 mi on them.  They're OK.

Why don't you just use this list:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/mens-high-mileage-shoes-th.html

Jim

Jan 18, 2008
    13. Feb 8, 2014 5:30 PM (in response to lllGurulll)

I would (almost) never recommend a specific shoe brand/model.  If you gave detailed criteria, I might suggest several possibilities, some of which I've never run in.  But since you've already listed a couple that have given me well over 400 miles (and I'm hard on shoes), I have no suggestions.  But now you have one - Saucony Kinvaras that Jim listed.  Good luck!

Len

May 25, 2009
    14. Feb 8, 2014 5:45 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Just to be clear - I'm not recommending the Kinvara as a high mileage shoe.  I did a very quick search and found that someone only got 200 miles out of theirs.  I'm just telling you what I got - since that's what you said you wanted.  I think someone that is hard on shoes might blow through the Kinvara pretty quickly.

If you're looking for recommendations on just high mileage shoes then I'd look at what is on the list in the URL I pasted.

Jim

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points