Skip navigation

243 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2014 5:07 PM by JS Whalers RSS
JS Whalers Amateur 10 posts since
Jan 31, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 9, 2014 5:07 PM

Whalers Name Head Coach of Junior Empire Team

The Jersey Shore Whalers are proud to announce that Rob Cherella has been selected as Head Coach of their Junior Empire team. 

Cherella, a native of Boston, MA, comes to the Whalers with a great deal of knowledge both on and off the ice.  With 16th year of coaching experience from the youth to high school levels, he brings Development & Growth to the program.  Cherella also works with several Prep Schools, Colleges and Junior Programs in the Northeast in efforts to scout local prospects for development growth opportunities.  In the off-season, Cherella dedicates many hours working with youth players in Massachusetts and New Jersey developing their skills. Through the years, Cherella has always kept close to his hockey roots and relationships.  He has been very instrumental in the success of many local players, advancing their academic and playing careers through various growth options (Prep Schools, Juniors, Club, D I, II & III College).

Over the past ten years coaching at Middletown South High School, Cherella has assisted in securing three Shore Conference Championships, and four Mayor’s Cup Championships.  During his tenure at Middletown South, the team qualified for several State tournaments resulting in two quarter and semi-finals appearances.  In 2011, Middletown South reached the State Finals where they finished as the runner-up.

As a player, Cherella played for powerhouse Catholic Memorial High School (Boston, MA.), winning three Massachusetts Division I State Championships.  Following his high school success, Cherella continued playing hockey at Northeastern University (Boston, MA) where he finished his competitive hockey career.

While reflecting back on his successful career as a player, Cherella stated:

“I’ve played competitive hockey throughout my youth and college years.  I have been very fortunate to have played with some great players as well as being coached by some of the best coaches in the Northeast.  The common theme that made my playing career successful was a disciplined and a positive environment focusing on the skills of the game (The Little Things). Development drives Growth, Growth drives Success, Success drives Confidence and Confidence drives Championships.  That has been instilled in me over the years and that is my commitment to our players on & off the ice.” 

When asked how he gets the most out of his players, Cherella stated:

“Young players and parents invest a lot of time and effort into this sport.  Each individual player comes with various goals & aspirations as well as strengths & weaknesses.  Understanding the individuals wants, dislikes, passion and where his/her skill sets fits in the overall game plan - allows me to better understand where that player will most likely grow and succeed academically & athletically.”

Cherella resides in NJ with his wife Amy, sons Jack and Gavin, all of whom play competitive hockey.

For information on the Whalers email us at jswhalers@comcast.net or go to www.jswhalers.com or www.site1941.goalline.ca on mobile. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...