Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3300 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2014 7:20 AM by needingsupport Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • DeanerOH Amateur 18 posts since
    Dec 30, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 12, 2014 3:15 PM (in response to jlpickens2)
    C25K newbies

I am now 4 workouts in and I am having a blast.  My pace and distance has increased each time and I feel like my jogging mechanics have gotten much more comfortable.  Hooray for fitness.

12/31/2013 - Started C25K - 243#

• FMY Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 7, 2014
    16. Jan 15, 2014 6:28 PM (in response to DeanerOH)
    C25K newbies

4.94km yesterday.   Gah so close!

Nice to get a PB every time though, loving the program and the moblile app.   It's nice to be able to choose the eliptical, the gym, or a run each day.

• FrankMcDonald0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 11, 2013
    17. Jan 22, 2014 7:11 PM (in response to jlpickens2)
    C25K newbies

Congratulations to everyone who is working on a C25K program.  Just be patient, especially if you're older.  I'm 51, and had been quite sedentary for about 20 years.  I had also gradually gained about 60 lbs over that 20-year period.  I learned about C25K at a WeightWatchers meeting, and started the C25K program last March.  In the beginning it was really tough, so gave myself about twice as long to complete the program, not moving on until I had completed the three prescribed run-walk programs for that week.  I also took a good form running class at a local running shop.  My top priority was to avoid injury, but after I began focusing on form, I started to enjoy the running process much more, as something to look forward to, rather than a workout to get through.  

The payoff: My blood pressure is down, as is my resting heart rate.  I've also lost 50 points, doing it slowly with a combination of making better choices of food (incl. the quantity; WeightWatchers has been great for building my awareness).  In the past three months, I've run a three 5Ks, one 8K and one 10K (prepared myself with a 10K training app).  At the beginning I was wondering how I would find the time to run, but with the exercise and weight loss, my concentration has improved, so I'm getting more done at work and at home even though I'm spending a few hours per week running.  My mood is also much better.  I know that I will never win a race, but I set modest goals for myself, finishing my first 5K under 30 minutes, and the 10K in less than 60 minutes, for instance, and trying to improve a little bit with each new competition.

Again: just be patient as you progress, buy a good pair of shoes at a specialty running store (mine cost about $110), take a class in good form running if one is available, run safely, and enjoy!

• carelessruns Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 22, 2014
    18. Jan 22, 2014 8:13 PM (in response to jlpickens2)
    Re: C25K newbies

even ive started the c25k run/walk program from last week. Ive done 4 sessions and feeling upbeat to take this forward.

slowly but surely

im 37 yrs and using total C25K app for my windows phone.

http://carelessruns.wordpress.com

• pj29340 Amateur 24 posts since
    Aug 22, 2007
    19. Jan 23, 2014 3:05 PM (in response to jlpickens2)
    C25K newbies

As a former recreational runner, I too am trying to get back to running after a heart attack and many years of neglect. I can't even do the minimum for C25K right now but I will keep plugging away at it. My knees ache, my lower back hurts, and when running my shins just SCREAM but I will keep on keeping on !

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    20. Jan 23, 2014 3:46 PM (in response to pj29340)
    C25K newbies

Please, please, please, do your shins a favor; that is one part of the body where "running through the pain" usually doesn't work, in fact, it usually makes things worse.

Take it easy, do lots of walking and work your way up to W1D1 of the C25K program. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • pj29340 Amateur 24 posts since
    Aug 22, 2007
    21. Jan 23, 2014 4:19 PM (in response to shipo)
    C25K newbies

Thanks Shipo ! I will try to take it easy !

• fatty2surf Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 26, 2014
    22. Jan 26, 2014 11:24 PM (in response to jlpickens2)

Great to read all these updates. Have had a crack at c25k before but determined to see it through this time. Always easy to find excuses to stop but I'm going to ignore them this time!

fatty2surf.blogspot.com

• K3atie Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 27, 2014
    23. Jan 27, 2014 2:31 PM (in response to jlpickens2)
    C25K newbies

Well im new to all of this, tried C25k a good few years ago now and couldnt get pace right and got disheartened.

Spoke to a friend of mine last year who said it was all about gowing slow and building up stamina. ........

So here i am back again.

overweight, but well i suspect around 100kgs and 5.7

I am planning on feeling my clothes looser will be a motivator and not the scales this time around as that is what disheartened me last time not seeing any movement

just completed Week 2 run 2,

walking speed 6.0 and running 7.0 as advised by friend and going ok, well to be honest.

I ran at 7 for 1.5 x 4 this evening with 1min walk inbetween, (didnt realise it was meant to be 2w)

then 4 x 1min  after a 2min walk

feeling awesome

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    24. Jan 27, 2014 6:34 PM (in response to K3atie)
    C25K newbies

Welcome fatty2surf and K3atie!

K3atie, I started running (again) last April when I was about 116 kg and I'm only about an inch taller than you, so I know from whence you speak.    Due to a few lifestyle changes I made back then I was able to free up enough time to really concentrate on putting in lots of long, slow, and safe miles, and wouldn't you know it, by November I was down to about 88 kg; something I accomplished with zero dieting.  I've been in a bit of a holding pattern since then, but I'm not worried about that, I don't mind a little extra weight to help keep me warm on those long and cold winter runs; I plan on losing the final 10-15 kgs by the summer.

There is another fairly active thread you might want to follow called the "200+ Pound Club!", you can get to it here:                                   200+ Pound Club!                    

Best regards,

Shipo

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • Oddprofessor Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 28, 2014
    25. Jan 28, 2014 2:35 PM (in response to K3atie)
    C25K newbies

K3atie, what units are you using for your speeds of 6.0 and 7.0? I'm admittedly old and unfit (61 years old and sedentary), but my walking pace is 2.4 miles/hour and my jogging pace is 4.5 miles/hour. I can't imagine walking a 10-minute-mile. That would be some kind of fast walk!

OR, if you are walking a mile in 10 minutes, please please give me your secret! 

(By the way, hi everyone. Tomorrow is W2D2 and so far I've managed to stick with the program. I'm a little worried about Week 3, though.)

• carelessruns Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 22, 2014
    26. Feb 3, 2014 8:29 PM (in response to jlpickens2)
    C25K newbies

completed my w3 runs last weekend, feeling upbeat about it.

had a heavily congested nose and a nagging headache, but completed the runs nevertheless.

felt a bit weird inhaling through mouth for the entire run though

http://carelessruns.wordpress.com

• sppssla Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 4, 2014
    27. Feb 4, 2014 11:09 AM (in response to jlpickens2)
    C25K newbies

I am starting in the morning too.

Security Guard & Patrol Service in Los Angeles

• Pets Victory Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 4, 2014
    28. Feb 4, 2014 11:10 AM (in response to jlpickens2)
    C25K newbies

I also signed up for a 5k walk and then a 5k timed run to keep motivated.

Pets Sittings and Dogs Walking Los Angeles

• SCinSC Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 10, 2014
    29. Feb 10, 2014 3:02 PM (in response to jlpickens2)

I started on 1/20/14, so I think I'm behind everyone here. I'm on the 3rd week, which means I'm moving my running outside (and the weather's improving, so it's serendipitous). I'm 33 y/o, 165 lbs, never run before, on feet all day for work but no exercise. I've run into a new dilemma. My current shoes aren't suitable for outdoor running. I need a different style. Any input/advice/suggestions/warnings? And I'd love to not break the bank on them initially.

I'm feeling really good about the program though. I'm going to have to repeat a couple of weeks to build my stamina, but I'm plugging along. My energy, mood and shh! (s3x drive) have all improved!

Thanks.

SC in SC

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...