Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1661 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2014 8:26 PM by LyricGirl RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,266 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 8, 2014 8:08 PM (in response to Haselsmasher)
    Re: Frustrated with my shoes

I got a little over 300 out of both pairs of my Kinvaras, compared to about 450 for the Kayanos..  Which I thought was pretty good for a "minimalist" shoe (for me at least).  Note that I retired them because of outsole/midsole wear, not because of aches and pains.  BTW, apologies, because I have no idea if he was applauding your link or your mention of a specific shoe.

Len

• Haselsmasher Legend 505 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    16. Feb 8, 2014 8:59 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Frustrated with my shoes

Len:

No apology necessary.  I realized my post wasn't clear so thought I should make it more so.

Kayano was the shoe I was trying to recall and I couldn't.  As I recall it was known for lasting a long time (and probably should have been remembered for that, because also as I recall the Kayanos were quite expensive).

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

Jan 18, 2008
    17. Feb 9, 2014 6:46 AM (in response to Haselsmasher)
    Frustrated with my shoes

I ran in Kayanos through half-a-dozen pairs (under $120), until one change that I couldn't adapt to.  They are now $160.  I can't justify that price with so many good shoes in the neighborhood of  $100 - 120.  He mentioned them in his initial post.

Len

• Charlie!2 Legend 1,128 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    18. Feb 9, 2014 4:17 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Frustrated with my shoes

My main shoe has been Kayanos since I started distance running eight years ago.  One pair of Kayano 14s, I have had trouble letting go of.  I've had them since they first came out and have run Richmond, MCM, Shamrock, Boston and finally Disney this Jan, as well as numberous halfs and smaller races.  If I want a shoe that's going to get me there with comfort, it was the Kayano 14s.  I finally retired them after Disney, but I have a back up pair I will be using for quite a while.  I have no idea how much mileage I put on those. With all that being said, it is recommended that a person only put 400-500 miles or six months on a shoe...even if you are not experiencing any discomfort or pain. Mileage will differ with weight, stride and speed.  But don't wait for pain or discomfort to start before you get a new pair of shoes.  Get a new pair of shoes in your rotation before your other shoes get near the high end of the recommended mileage. I usually have three shoes in rotation...one nearing it's peak mileage, one near the middle of the mileage and the third, the new one.  Also having two or more in the rotation gives a chance for one shoe to 'recover' for a day or two.

Just my thoughts.

Jan 18, 2008
    19. Feb 9, 2014 5:15 PM (in response to lllGurulll)
    Re: Frustrated with my shoes

A friend just suggested, and it might be a good idea, that you try some barefoot running - true barefoot.  You would have to start short, maybe 1/4 mile and, depending on where you live, treadmill it.  One advantage is that you have a midfoot strike.  I wouldn't recommend barefoot if you heel strike.  Should you decide to do this, start short, like I said.  And build up very gradually.  Barefoot running has a tendency to reveal and "iron out" any mechanical quirks you may have.  Personally I try to remember how my feet feel running barefoot and reproduce that feel in my shoes.

Len

• RussellAinsworth Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 5, 2013
    20. Feb 9, 2014 6:35 PM (in response to lllGurulll)
    Frustrated with my shoes

The asics kensie 4 and 5 are a bit heavier running shoes but will last a year or 2. I have them and mix them into my training. I love the saucony m. 4s but I think your to large of a runner. They are only 7.5 oz.

• LyricGirl Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 18, 2013
    21. Feb 10, 2014 8:26 PM (in response to RussellAinsworth)
    Frustrated with my shoes

Since cost is a factor for this person, and since Kinseis cost more than anything else on the market, I don't think they are a good recommendation.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points