Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1163 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2014 6:39 AM by MotionShoe RSS
awaketoolate Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 20, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 20, 2014 9:06 AM

New Shoe Recommendations

I've been needing to buy shoes for a while, but I always get so lost when navigating which shoes would be the best for me. I'm fairly new to all of this so most of the techical terms go over my head (and, like, I have no clue about certain things, like how long my stride is or where I land on my foot). Would anyone be willing to help me out? I'd go to like a Nike outlet or something to have a salesperson recommend me something in person, but I'm afraid they might just try to sell me something I don't really need (plus there's not really one around me).

Here's what I know about my physical shape and running style:

• I'm female
  • I'm 5'7"
  • I weigh 130 lbs (working on losing 15-20)
  • I'm 20 years old
  • My last pair of shoes were black Nikes with purple accents and a skinny sort of sole (but I don't think they were barefoots or anything)
  • I go running 3-5 times a week (ideally)
  • When I run I run for 3-8 miles on both pavement, dirt roads, and some rocky terrain. (My favorite loop has about two miles of running on the roads, one mile of running through a deer path in the woods uphill, and four or so miles running on flat dirt paths)
  • I live in Maine so very often the weather is icey or snowy or slippery (or all of the above) and I'd still like to be able to get out an run
  • I think I might have slightly high arches (either that or normal)
  • I plan on having these shoes last me until summer
  • I'm a college student so I don't have a super huge budget
  • And I'm super grateful for all the help anyone would give me!
  • shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Jan 20, 2014 10:09 AM (in response to awaketoolate)
    New Shoe Recommendations

Your height, weight, arches, and running style/environment are very similar to my wife's; her favorite trail shoes (and mine as well) are the Asics Gel-Scouts.  They aren't cheap but they are worth it.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jan 20, 2014 5:28 PM (in response to awaketoolate)
    Re: New Shoe Recommendations

The Scout looks like a pretty good shoe.  The problem is finding a place where you can try them on.  You don't want to buy them without trying them out first.  I would recommend you find a good running store, hopefully near where you live - NOT a Nike (or other) outlet or a "big box" store like Dick's, etc.  Take your list above, and your pair of black Nike whatever's, and talk to the salesperson(s).  Have them bring out everything they have that might be what you want, probably leaning toward a trail shoe.  Don't be shy, you want to try on as many as you can.  The trails you run don't sound particularly technical (steep ups & downs, rocks, roots, ruts, etc.) but a trail shoe would still likely be best, also helpful in the winter conditions.  Make sure you size up 1/2 to a full size over your street shoe.  Then it's a matter of trying on the shoes, running around the store in them (or on a treadmill if they have one) and picking the one that feels best (and you can also afford).  Literally, the one that feels best is most likely to work out best in the long run.

Len

• overcorre Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 28, 2014
    3. Jan 28, 2014 3:10 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    New Shoe Recommendations

I am very happy with my Asics Gel shoes I found on www.squidoo/asics-gel-noosa-tri-9-review . Gel padded  light and comfy.

• MotionShoe Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 11, 2014
    4. Feb 11, 2014 1:12 PM (in response to awaketoolate)
    New Shoe Recommendations

Have you done a wet test to see what foot type you are? I would recommend that if youre not going to a local running shop to get fitted.

Shoe Effecianado | Father | Husband | Runner

Motion Shoe Lab

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    5. Feb 11, 2014 2:22 PM (in response to MotionShoe)
    New Shoe Recommendations

What the heck is a "Wet Test"?

• MotionShoe Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 11, 2014
    6. Feb 12, 2014 6:39 AM (in response to shipo)
    Re: New Shoe Recommendations

shipo- its a simple at home test you can do to see what kind of foot type you are. heres a link at runnersworld. its pretty rudementary, but it does help if youre unsure.

Shoe Effecianado | Father | Husband | Runner

Motion Shoe Lab

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points