Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10027 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2014 6:09 PM by crl8686 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Bethany Lobaza Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 29, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 12, 2014 7:59 AM (in response to LStanhope)
    Running With Flat Feet

In my case- being flat footed is bad. Caused stress fractures, tendon problems in my achilles and terrible shin splints. I ignorantly bought Vibrams and did the tough mudder in them and completely screwed myself over. Luckily, the pain in my achilles was so bad that I had to go to Physical Therapy.

The regaining of your arch like you were asking about was exactly what we were working on. It is definitely possible, but it takes discipline and consistency. We did exercises like towel scrunching, barefoot bose ball lounging, lots of balance work, all barefoot. It did improve quite a bit but my feet are still somewhat flat. Now I run with Newtons stability shoes, (which I am absolutely in love with) along with orthotics. The great thing about Newtons is they start you off assuming you have poor running form and they put you through a cycle of shoes to eventually get you to minimal running shoes if that's something you want to do. Since June I've been pain free.

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    17. Feb 22, 2014 6:09 PM (in response to LStanhope)
    Running With Flat Feet

My arches are currently somewhere between normal and flat (they've flattened somewhat as I've grown older) so I'm probably not the ideal example for you. But my husband, who is an ex-runner, is probably a better case. He has had totally flat feet all his life. During his mid-twenties he got into running, about the same time as I did. Suffice it so say that he and his running buddies routinely left me in the dust. He did 7-minute miles and 21-22 minute 5K's. I don't recall his exact shoe models but he was using Brooks and New Balance neutral shoes. He did no particular stretching or strengthening exercises, and he never had a running-related injury. After about 10 years he lost interest in running and turned to other sports (leaving me to carry the running baton, so to speak), but the bottom line is that he ran perfectly well with his flat feet - for years - and never had a problem.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...