Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

503 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2014 2:13 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
kidfarm Expert 47 posts since
Aug 27, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 16, 2014 10:51 AM

Cramping in Calf

Today I I ran my 12, 1/2 Marathon today in 5 yrs. Everything was going well, I had a good stride and pace and then *** My left calf cramped at 1.5 miles.

What happened?  I walked 2 miles to relax it and was able to run again UNTIL 9 miles when it happened again.

I am 50+ and very petite, so it is not weight, AGE?

Any sugestions?

Thank

JOY

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,337 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Feb 16, 2014 7:02 PM (in response to kidfarm)
    Cramping in Calf

Hard to tell.  Maybe it just wasn't your day.  Nothing that I've read seems to have a really good explanation for cramping.  Personally I think any number of things can contribute, such as dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, even weather for instance.  I've had calf cramping on a cool day with a lot of wind, so that the muscles had a hard time staying warm..  But recent articles that I've read suggest that conditioning (or lack thereof) is the biggest factor.  Still, only a mile and a half into the race . . . maybe you just started too fast.  Check this article; http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/why-do-my-calf-muscles-cramp-when-i-run

Len

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,147 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    3. Feb 18, 2014 2:13 PM (in response to kidfarm)
    Cramping in Calf

I had serious cramping a mile and a half into a frigid marathon, making it the only one I had to quit. Hours later after warming up, I was fine. Many people don't remember that muscles are the best heat source for the body, and to generate heat, they contract. Shivering is an example of repeated contractions, but increased tone alone can achieve the same effect. Neither bode well for the relaxed muscles you need to plow into sub-optimal temperatures in an athletic contest. Add nerves to that, and you had a perfect storm for cramping. You may never get your money back on the day of a race for bad weather, but you'll always get another chance to run more comfortably. Better luck next time!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points