Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

993 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2014 7:21 AM by bullseye759
bullseye759 Rookie 7 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 18, 2014 7:31 AM

Galloway Run/Walk question

Hi

I know the old saying is "there are no stupid questions" so I hope I'm safe by prefacing it this way---

I love Galloway's run/walk method but i have a question. I use run/walk in road races but should all of my training runs be done that way too? I mean should i be including sustained runs somewhere in my training? I run hills and I do some speed work on a track or intervals on the treadmill during bad weather.

Thanks in advance

Dean

Rhode Island

• TinyDogDaisy Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 10, 2013
    1. Feb 19, 2014 6:11 AM (in response to bullseye759)

I'm fairly new to the Galloway program (started in December), but personally I try to run the entire time during my weekday 30 minute training runs.  This is just my personal opinion, but it seems to help with my endurence.  I've asked around and many of the leaders agree with me, but they also said that it is a personal preference...as long as you get out and do the weekly training runs, it doesn't matter how you do them.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Feb 19, 2014 7:19 AM (in response to TinyDogDaisy)

I think the program is set up to be done as the program.  If it's 4 to 1 that is what you are suppose to be doing.  Not sure it's going to hurt you in training but in a race you will need to do it as planned.  And do it from the start of the race not when you feel you need it.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Feb 19, 2014 8:31 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

I think it is, to some extent, a personal preference.  Speedwork, for instance, may not lend itself to the particular run/walk ratio you're using.  But you should certainly be doing some of your runs, in particular longer runs, using run/walk.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points