Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2124700 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 749 750 751 752 753 ... 760 Previous Next
  • CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,250. Feb 12, 2014 9:21 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Go jgilrdz27...congrats on your 1st half Mary...many many more..and you have every right to be proud of yourself...bask in the glow of self accomplishment...or something

Shipo: Great mileage. I just want to get up to 5 miles again. and I will I am sure. My knee is feeling better and better, still some stiffness and virtually no pain.  I have only walked a little up and down my drrt road and so far so good. We have no snow mobile trails here but after watching the Olympics a little snow could be fun. It would be nice for running and the horses would love it though they are both Florida natives. Hopefully I can start seriously walking soon and the Y is on my radar for Saturday

LSD and no injuries

Cynce RN

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,251. Feb 12, 2014 10:24 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wow, great news about your knee; I'm pulling for you. 

I've had to keep the horses in for a few extra hours both yesterday and today, which in turn means extra stall duty.  Tomorrow we're supposed to get something like 18" of snow, and given that we're up high compared to the rest of the area, we usually get more than forecast, so it looks like they may end up staying in all day. 

• Katiedid22 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 15, 2014
    11,252. Feb 16, 2014 7:16 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Everone,

I really want to start this progrm, but I feel I have to get in shape before I even start. I've given myself until 3/16 to get in shape enough to even begin.  By then (I hope) the spring thaw will have started and I won't have to worry about snow and ice.

Am I over thinking this?

Thanks for any advice you all can give.

Katie

Sep 6, 2013
    11,253. Feb 17, 2014 9:52 AM (in response to Katiedid22)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Katie and welcome. When I first started it took me 3 days to take the first running step. I would stick my foot out then just say "nope" . I finally jogged for 1 minute and felt like I had run a marathon..AKA tired and proud. As long as you can walk 30 minutes you are ready, Repeat any days or weeks that didn't feem OK and let us know how you are doing.

Shipo: Stall duty huh? That'll keep you humble, and work up a little sweat. How much snow did you get....Knee doing fair. No pain yesterday but tday really stiff. All I did was a little house work.

• SpartanJD01 Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012
    11,254. Feb 19, 2014 7:58 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Katie,

About 2 years ago, I was at 320 and was thinking the same thing "I need to lose some weight before I can start running."  But a runner told me to just start and do what I could.  I did, and within a few months I was up to 2 miles.  After being on the shelf with some ankle injuries (and general self-doubt and laziness) last winter, I got off my *** again a year ago next week and ran a half marathon last October - still weighing 280.  There really is no trick except starting, keep trying and listening to your body.  Last year, I never ran two day in a row.  Now I am starting to do that.  But if my knees start hurting, I will stop it.

After getting back into if for about 3 weeks, I am back up to 4 miles on treadmill and chomping at the bit to get out on roads when the weather breaks.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. 

• SpartanJD01 Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012
    11,255. Feb 19, 2014 8:55 AM (in response to SpartanJD01)
    200+ Pound Club!

Also, Great work by CynceRN and Shipo.  Glad to see JGR pull off the half.  I have heard a lot of great things about crossfit, but I am concentrating on running and need to fully rehab a rotator cuff injury before I can do it.  I plan to keep running halfs every 3-4 months through Memorial 2015, then do a 90 cycle of crossfit.

After being on the shelf with a ankle injury for a few weeks and laziness for a few weeks more, I got cracking again mid January and finally popped my treadmill cherry.  This week I am running on 4 mile, 2 - 3 miles and a 2.5.   I plan on increasing the long run a mile a week and the short runs more slowly and none of the shorter runs will go longer than 6 miles.  I am keeping a really slow pace with a 1% incline.  I am also doing some general strength training and a little stairclimbing.  No calf or leg presses.  Bikram Yoga once a week.

I am hoping to be down to 250 (from 280) by June 1 for a HM.  And to do the Detroit International HM on Oct 19 weighing 220.

Sep 6, 2013
    11,256. Feb 20, 2014 5:34 AM (in response to SpartanJD01)
    200+ Pound Club!

Spartan: Sounds like a great plan. In general the knees are better than a few weeks ago and much better thana month ago, much less pain but persistant stiffness, particularly after sitting. Can't swim right now because my precious old Jeep needed brakes some kind of pricey oil seal and sparl plugs so I have $167 to get through until a week from tomorrow and need about $90 of that to feed my horses. So no extras right now. I am contemplating a long slow walk on Saturday, Maybe try out my new treking poles and try to convince myself it's wilderness.

Keep running sounds like you are doing great and hopefully I will be out there doing my 5 mile trails again in a few months.Do you live in the Detroit area? That is where I was raised. Graduated from Kimball HS and Wayne state university. I like the weather here in Florida much better. Spounds like you may have gone to Michigan State. I started there but could save money going to nursing school closer to home. Enough history..Run Run Run

Shipo: Did we lose you in a snow bank? Hope everything is well and you are racking up lots of LSD

Katir: Did you start yet? Keep us posted. We are a very supportive bunch.

• Lisa R Johnson Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    11,257. Feb 23, 2014 10:33 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

How do I become a member of this group?

My name is Lisa. I'm soon to be 50, weigh 268 at 5'10". I had been running/walking (wunning) off and on but then got out of the habit a few years ago. I would like to get back into some kind of physical activity, but there is a MAJOR hinderance. I have arthritis in both knees with the left being worse than the right. I'm looking at knee replacements in a few years in fact.

• jgilrdz27 Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 7, 2009
    11,259. Feb 24, 2014 6:58 AM (in response to SpartanJD01)
    200+ Pound Club!
    Mar 16, 2011
    11,260. Feb 24, 2014 8:06 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wideguy~

How does barefoot running effect pronation? I tend to over pronate quite a bit, which of course, hurts the inside of my knees. (maybe THAT'S why they hurt when I run...)

I'm seeing a ortho doc this coming Friday to see what options I have. Of course, the weight is an issue and I"ve been told "drop some weight and the knees will feel better"...you nailed that one! Right now, though, I feel the knee pain prevents me from doing much of anything. Ah, we'll see....

Good for you for runing again! Slow and easy on that achilles.

I have a question-how does the Raynaud's influence the running? Is it the lack of circulation? The cold? BTW-I really don't have to worry about the cold...I live in Arizona!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,376 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11,262. Feb 26, 2014 7:02 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

All I can say is, when considering barefoot, do your research.  Here is a good place to start (particularly Table 1), http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/48/5/349.full

There is a lot of supposition, myth and misinformation around barefoot, heel striking and over-striding, some of which Wideguy has mentioned.  There is also a great deal of recent research on shod vs. barefoot, providing relatively unbiased information.  Many conclusions contradict what is assumed by barefoot proponents.  The same can be said for striking forefoot, midfoot, or heel.  All of these have positive attributes and negative attributes.  It comes down to figuring out which works best for you (i.e. running pain and injury free).

To make things clear, I have done some barefoot running and I enjoy it and I feel it has certain benefits.  I am a heel striker in shoes but I do not over-stride (the two are not one and the same and were never "taught").  But contrary to the advocates' beliefs, I continue to heel strike barefoot (which turns out to be a not-so-good-thing) and I run as gently one way as the other (a matter of technique, not shoes or barefoot).

Len

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,263. Feb 26, 2014 7:56 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

CynceRN wrote:

Shipo: Stall duty huh? That'll keep you humble, and work up a little sweat. How much snow did you get....Knee doing fair. No pain yesterday but tday really stiff. All I did was a little house work.

Just checking back in after more than a (very-very busy) week...

Yeah, keeps me humble and maybe even a bit more fit than I would otherwise be (considering I pitch an easy ton of horse poop per week to say nothing of grain bags and hay bales, oh, and moving those beasties around).  The weather folks completely blew it on that last storm, we only got ten to twelve inches plus another couple the following evening.  That said, we ended up with five separate precipitation events in seven days ranging from a foot of snow to a half inch of ice, and pretty much everything else in between.

I fell early last week when the horse on my left wanted to bite the horse on my right and we were on ice (glad neither of them fell as well) and hurt my left hip.  It feels like a pulled muscle but regardless of whether I rest or run, it doesn't seem to get any better or worse.  Annoying.

I haven't looked at the rest of the posts in this thread so maybe you've updated me on your knee; if not, how is it progressing?

Mar 16, 2011
    11,264. Feb 26, 2014 6:09 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thank you for your response, Len! I appreciate it and I will read the article....I'm not sure I would run completely barefoot. As a kid, I walked everywhere barefoot. Even on the asphalt in the summer, here in Arizona! It was how we would "condition" our feet...now, though, my feet are tender, pampered things. Minimalist footwear would be as far as I think I would go....

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...