Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

590 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2014 8:32 PM by lenzlaw
RLBlunt8384 Amateur 20 posts since
Jan 7, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 23, 2014 10:51 AM

First time marathoner with questions

So I am using the beginer marathoner cool runnings training program.  I run my first marathon March 15th in DC.  So far as I progress I have had an interesting experience.  I know running is largely a physialogical scientific sport in that, you can only progress so fast.  From what I have read there is no Fast Tracking your running load without injury.  So Im wondering if I have been pushing myself too far too fast.  Throughout my program I noticed that after I finished 10 miles 12 miles 15 miles (especially bad) 18 miles and 20 miles first times PR for distance, I have been so sore that I can't hardly walk for at least 1 full day after the run.  The last 4 miles of the 18 mile run my legs were so stiff each step was especially painfull.  When I finished I layed on the grass for 10 minutes, when I got up to walk to my truck It took me a good 5 minutes to walk 150 yards.  But after 2 days the stiffness subsides and I am back to running again.  Is this okay/ normal when you push yourself for a new PR? Or am I harming my body?  Running this marathon is very important to me and I only have three weeks until race day.  Any advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.  Also when I finished my 20 miles during the last 4 miles I felt super weak and light headed.  I had to walk .15 miles and run the rest on every mile for the last 4 to finish.  during that run I planted 2 bottles of NUUN along the running trail and drank a 70 ounce camel back, also I consumed 2 energy gels (one after the first hour, one after the second).   I am a 31 year old male, 192 pounds.

PS.  My training program has me running 4 to 5 hills early in the week...the program shows the distance I should run but does not mention what I should do inbetween intervals.  Do I take a break? walk? or Just jump right into the next hill.  If break or walk for how long?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Feb 23, 2014 1:52 PM (in response to RLBlunt8384)

It sounds like you may have been doing your long runs at too fast a pace.  While you may expect to be sore after them, you should not be so sore that you have problems walking the next day.  Your experience toward the end of the 20-miler could have several causes, particularly going too fast, or not fueling well, or possibly fluids but it sounds like you had enough..  It also might have been a warmer day than you were used to.

Hills: Run up at a good pace, and down very easy.  You should be rested enough at the bottom to feel ready for the next hill. Walk or jog a little if you need more time.

But you're tapering now, so no more 18 or 20-milers.  For the marathon, start conservatively, for at least 10 miles, preferably 15, even 20.  Remember that the 2nd half of the race starts at 20 miles.  You're better off taking it relatively easy until 20 miles.

Good luck and have fun!

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Feb 23, 2014 8:32 PM (in response to RLBlunt8384)

This discussion is based on the assumption that the 5K pace is from a race and the 10 mile pace is not (because you said roughly, though it's not far off from projected pace for a 10-mile race).  And you should not be running most of your training runs at or near race pace.  Anyway, it's hard to project a marathon from a 5K, but your 10-mile pace projects to about 4:20 to 4:30, or 9:55 to 10:20 pace.  The general rule is your long runs should be done about 45 to 90 seconds per mile slower than your anticipated marathon pace, so 10:40 or so for your long training runs.  Confused yet?  You should only have one run of any distance left, 12 to 14 miles.  Try it at the slower pace.  That your heart rate climbs that much is an indication that you're pushing it.  That's undesirable for a training run, though you may find it happening in the later stages of the race.

For the marathon, you might start at 10:00 to 10:15 for the first 12 miles, and adjust from there.  Adjust a little at a time, maybe 10 or 15 seconds faster thru 15, but only if you're really feeling good.  Or hold off until 20 if you're feeling OK but not great.  Like I said, the hammer drops around 20, and you don't want to be wiped out when you get there (like your 20 mile training run).

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...