Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

674 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2014 7:14 AM by BOSNPM
Chris1439 Amateur 15 posts since
Aug 5, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 27, 2014 10:35 AM

Need help figuring out what recovery supplement is best for me

Hello!

After constantly reading different reviews about supplements professionals use for pre and post recovery im came here to see what people have to say. I was seeking any advice, warnings, or recommendations as to what you see in your supplementation plan and would like to share.

Although I do have some knowledge about supplements, nature, herbs, medicine, etc., im looking for some knowledge based help and advice.

Here are the main concerns I wanted to address in my search for recovery supplements:

-Should I add anything or keep anything out based on my goals (consider BCAAs)?

-Are there any better times or ways to take the my vitamins?

-Where is the place to get quality products that will also be the most affordable?

I stumbled up a review from Pro Eli Cohen (http://www.twitter.com/ae_cohen), and he used a product called EnduroPacks for 30 days. In his review Eli the recurring benefit that stood out is his lack of soreness after the brutal Bandera 25K, and the fact that his HRV allowed him to run the day after. These addressed alot of my concerns from above and wanted to know what suggestions you have to coincide with his review.

Review

This review and reccomendation intrigued me enough to share, and I welcome all feedback. Appreciate any help or comments regarding my search for relevant recovery info.

Thanks!

• shipo Legend 496 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013

Of late I've seen several studies released which strongly suggest that suppliments are pretty much worthless for someone with a decent diet.  The lone exception is some extra Vitamin-C to help counteract the free radicals which are in turn caused by the "enormous quantities of oxygen" consumed by distance runners.

As for what is best for recovery, I would say rest and hydration (as in good old fashioned water with maybe some additional electrolytes added during hot summer months).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

All you need is a 4 -1 Carb to Protein mix (chocolate milk low fat).  I would do some EPO if I could get it (just joking).

• RLBlunt8384 Amateur 20 posts since
    Jan 7, 2014

They make stuff called NO2 Black that expands your capilaries to help with blood flow to the muscles and another supplement called VO2 max that supposedly increases you oxygen intake.  I don't know if they are safe or legal.  I am not suggesting them just letting you know that they are out there at GNC and Vitamen shop.  Most of the really good runners on these forums seem to recommend good diet and hydration.

On another note yet still nutrition related...Does anyone know a supplement to help carb load for a race?  I eat whole wheat pasta for three days before my really long runs.  I saw someone had posted something about carbohydrate powder or something.  I was wondering if there is a more convenient method of carb loading then eating lots of pasta..Thanks.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

RLBlunt:  Lots of good Carbs to pick from:

1) Egg whites

2) Potatoes both white and sweet

3) Whole grains

4) Citrus fruits

5) Berries

6) Melons

7) Apples

8) Nuts and legumes

9) Creals