Skip navigation

1373 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2015 6:36 AM by RunningTD
JasonFitz1 Legend 576 posts since
Jun 19, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 3, 2014 10:23 AM

Hoka One One Rapa Nui 2: Maximalism meets Minimalism?

Has anyone run in the Hoka One One shoes? They're highly cushioned shoes many are calling "maximalist" - I just reviewed a pair on Strength Running.

Check it out: http://strengthrunning.com/2014/03/hoka-running-shoes-rapa-nui/

What do you think of these crazy cushioned shoes - too much or can they be used strategically for some workouts?

Cheers,

- Jason.

Strength Running
  • BigWanger Amateur 8 posts since
    May 18, 2009

I know this is an older thread...

I started running in Hokas this summer, after feeling the need to switch from "traditional" running shoes (Brooks Glycerin) after I had developed IT band issues running in semi minimalist shoes (Brooks Pure Flows).  Trained and ran an IM in the Conquest, and loved them.  They give a great cushioned ride, which was something I needed as a 210lb racer, and have a minimal heel to forefoot drop.  They were plenty stable for me, and have felt great.  Had my second best half marathon time in them, with minimal training at the end of my season.  I just started running in the Stinson Lites, and they feel pretty good, as well.  Some people have told me they feel heavy, but in a size 14/15, everything feels heavy.  LOL  My IT band issues have disappeared, and I feel like I will stick with Hokas for a while.

Yes...I'm an addict. Some day, I WILL do Kona!

• bingbingwing Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011
    2. Feb 10, 2015 9:39 PM (in response to BigWanger)

I bought a pair of Hokas after I started having problems with leg pain from wearing a pair of shoes a month longer than I should have.  The Hokas are a godsend for me.  I have flat feet so I have to wear inserts.  I was a Brooks devotee.  I got the Hoka Cliftons and they are only 6.6 oz.  They do not feel heavy at all.   They are like running on clouds, but feel very stable.  I do my intervals in them, too.  I just lace them a bit differently so they don't feel loose.  It's a cushioned ride.  One thing I love about the shoes is my recovery from long runs - esp. 10+ miles is quick.  Last year when I trained for a half marathon, I had a lot stiffness in my legs after my runs - felt like I was really old trying to walk up and down my staircase at home after my long runs.  Now when I run 10 miles, I do not feel any stiffness at all.  I bought two more pairs.  I love them that much!

- Started running 1/22/11

- First 5k 4/29/11: 25:55

• Imgellin Legend 623 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008

Wow, bin! Those sound great. I must be out-of-the-loop, but I had never really heard of Hoka, before. Thanks for the review. Those are really light and they have good cushion, too? That's pretty amazing. I was just curious what insole you are using because my feet are pretty flat, too. I use the Spenco Cross Trainer in all my running  shoes.

I guess I am old-school: I just bought a pair of Trance 11's.

Img

• bingbingwing Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011
    4. Feb 11, 2015 5:12 PM (in response to Imgellin)

Img-I wear Powerstep Pinnacle (the blue insert).  I have also tried the Powerstep Pinnacle Max (maroon).  The latter has a better heel support, but I find the Pinnacles work great.  The Hokas feel so light.  The Cliftons will be a little heavier than 6.6 oz the bigger your shoe size, but still a lot lighter than most shoes I've worn.  My friend does triathlons and swears by them so I thought I'd give them a try. 

- Started running 1/22/11

- First 5k 4/29/11: 25:55

• RunningTD Rookie 1 posts since
    May 15, 2015

I started running in the Hoka One One Cliftons in March '15 and have loved them!  They are light and very cushioned.  I used to have some IT band pain in my knee after multiple days of longish (6-8 miles) runs (me = 45M, 190 lbs).  The only small complaint I have is that they seem to break down quicker than other running shoes I've worn.  I'm about 260 miles into them and the edges of the soles are looking tattered and I can feel the cushioning is not as soft as it was in the begininng.

I'm still buying another pair to run my half in at the end of May though.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...