Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

434 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2014 7:49 AM by BOSNPM RSS
NicoleBell21 Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 25, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 3, 2014 5:58 PM

ouch?!

Help?! I've just started walking/running again after a many years break and many new pounds. I have been walking 2min jogging 1-2min for the past week. I got on the treadmill tonight and my left knee hurts so bad I couldn't even get through 15 minutes of walking. I noticed it was sore on Saturday, so I rested Sunday and I could still feel a twinge of it all day at work. But I want to get back on so bad so I tried.... I had a bad fall last May and sprained both of my feet so bad and it took almost all of this time for the pain in my ankles to go away. I eventually caved and had to go to PT because I work in nursing and am on my feet all day.  I'm bracing my right ankle while I'm on the treadmill but my left knee is just killing me. Sure my ankle muscles are sore but the knee just stops me completely? I know next to nothing about running. Anyone have any thoughts? I was so stoked to be doing so well and now I'm bummed that I couldn't even get through not even half of my usual. :-( Any advice on shoes, stretches, strengthening..anything. I need to keep this going or I'm going to lose my motivation!! Thanks in advance!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Mar 3, 2014 8:37 PM (in response to NicoleBell21)
    ouch?!

First things first.   It sounds like you may still need to do some serious work on strengthening your ankles before you worry about running.  That in turn should give your knee some recovery time.  At least, you have to quit until you can walk without pain in the knee.  You may be favoring the right ankle/leg, leading to extra stress on the left leg.  It sounds like you were doing the walk/run routine every day, which is also likely to be part of the problem.  When you re-start, look into sometime like Couch-to-5K (aka C25K at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml), go slow, short strides, keep your feet "under you", run every other day (not on consecutive days).  Forget everything you may remember from your prior running days and admit that you are truly starting new.  If you're going to stretch, stretch after, not before.  Shoes...shoes are a whole other topic.  The best I can say is go to a good running store (not a "big box" sporting goods store) and explain your circumstances, including your ankle issues, and get their recommendation.

Don't get discouraged, but it's probably going to take some time.  Good luck.

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Mar 4, 2014 7:49 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    ouch?!

If you can do some of your walking on a trail/grass this will help strengthening your ankles some.  Don't run on the grass or trails yet but walk.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...