Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2232609 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 751 752 753 754 755 ... 760 Previous Next
  • shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,280. Mar 2, 2014 4:19 AM (in response to KSassie)
    200+ Pound Club!

Seems to be a lot of us Michigan (or former Michigan) types on this thread. 

Regarding the C25K program, just keep at it until you can successfully complete the first week, and then repeat weeks as necessary until you can complete the entire routine.  A few pointers:

• Many folks doing C25K for the first time run too fast during their running segments; when the program says "Run", you should think, "Slow Jog" (Slog for short).
    • Running is often as much a mental thing ("I couldn't possibly run more than five minutes...") as it is a physical thing.  The only thing which will allow you to run more is to, ummm, run more.
    • When the program says "Rest", please rest, your body needs time to recover from this new activity; rest is equally important to the running and walking.

As for the 5K on 31-May; you should be okay to complete it, however, you may need to walk portions.  Don't be discouraged if you need to do some walking; think about it this way, you'll still be faster than folks sitting on the proverbial couch. 

Keep us posted on your progress.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • Syrumani Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 3, 2014
    11,281. Mar 3, 2014 5:34 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello, all!

I started the C25K last week.  Getting ready to start W2D1 here in a few minutes.  I am using the treadmill here in the apartment fitness center.  I figure that will force me to keep moving . . .

I am hovering between 205-210 pounds.  That is even after eating healthier, no bread/potatoes/rice (my weaknesses!) . . . with the exception of a dinner roll or slice of bread once or twice a week.  I am hoping that with adding the C25K workouts, that I may just meet my goal.

My goal is to lose 45 pounds by my 45th birthday in August.  That is 6 months away.

It will be nice to have a group that will encourage each other!

• CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,284. Mar 4, 2014 5:38 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Turtlegrl: Running with your daughter will give you awesome memories, I didn't believe it either and at well over 200 lbs and 57 yrs old and a long history of Asthma My promise to run a 5K with my daughter at FSU was not taken too seriously. But I perseveered and began waling then running and finally did a couple 5K's on my own as a "learning experience"..at that point my daughter decided she should also start a little training. The day finally arrived and we were slogging along and she asked me what my best time was (you mean you time these? ithought if you survived you won!!) I told her and she said I was probably going to beat that time, Oh. I forgot to mention thereis not a flat place on the FSU campus and someow the race planners managed to design a course that seemed all uphill. At any rate with my daughters encouragement and support I beat my best time by 7 minutes. During our next race I experienced nasty leg cramps and had to walk the first mile so I sent her ahead to run her own race. She finished first in her age group and I finished a few seconds from best time.I never would have believed that at 58 and still over 200 lbs running would be my :"hobby" (obsession) My knees are healing and I will be out there again soon.

and if you think you might get bored run trails, much more fun.

• KSassie Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 28, 2014
    11,285. Mar 4, 2014 3:03 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wideguy,

Thanks for encouragement! I didn't  fall through, nor did the downstairs neighbors complain!  Yay! Lol I did day 1 today of C25K today. I got through 25/30mins. I drank too much water and got sick, so I had to stop. My mouth gets so dry though. Although I didn't make it all the way through,  I don't see it as failure. I see it as a success, because I got off the couch and worked towards my goal! I'm one day closer! :)

• CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,287. Mar 5, 2014 5:30 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

GO KSassie: I've said it before but it took me 3 days to take that first running step. I would stick my foot out then say "nope". Finally i did it and what a feeling of accomplishment. I ran 1 minute and felt as proud as if i had just run a marathon. Kudos, Atta girls etc you are on your way to being a runner.

So now you have begun, don't give up.

• jgilrdz27 Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 7, 2009
    11,288. Mar 5, 2014 6:57 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

lapping.png

GO KSassie!!! 

• leobourgeois Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 11, 2011
    11,289. Mar 5, 2014 7:56 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

The Journey.JPG

Hello All,

This my first time responding to this blog.  In 2010 I weighed 415lbs.  I suffered with high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, anxiety, arthritis in the knees, and high cholesterol.  I am proud to say that I have lost 200 lbs, completed 5 half marathons, 2 marathons, 2 Half Ironman, and an Ironman.  I am currently training for my second Ironman.  I am encouraged by the stories that I read on this thread about people getting active and breaking old habits.  I understand the fear of starting something new.  I never thought that I would be able to run one mile let alone race in an Ironman.  I am living proof that if I can do it, anyone can just believe in yourself and surround yourself with people that are doing what you want to do.

• jgilrdz27 Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 7, 2009
    11,290. Mar 5, 2014 8:14 AM (in response to leobourgeois)
    200+ Pound Club!

AWESOME!!!!

• PeaceMom69 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 26, 2014
    11,291. Mar 5, 2014 8:45 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

HI everyone,

This is my first post to any blog. I am 44 years old - only 5'4" and weigh an astonishing 233 lbs. I have never weighed this much in my life. I used to be a 6 day/week gym rat. Of course that was 18 years ago - then I had children - and it was all over.

I am currently using the C25K app and training with some co-workers. We are training for the Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon 5K. I am quite proud that I am now in week 4 of the training. I have been devoted to the 3 days/week. I am taking it slow so as to not hurt myself or get frustrated. Although I must say that I am kind of frustrated. 4 weeks and I feel fatter than ever. My coworkers are definitely thinner than I am but they seem to have much more endurance tham I do. I'm sure my endurance issues are due to the fact that i'm carrying so much more weight than they are, but still! I am going to stick with it and follow through. I may not end up being a lifelong runner - but hopefully it will keep me motivated to stay active.

Has anyone else had this feeling of frustration?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11,292. Mar 5, 2014 10:07 AM (in response to PeaceMom69)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Don't compare yourself to those around you.  That's an exercise in futility.  Compare what you do today to what you did two weeks ago, or two months ago.  Measure your progress against your prior self.  See leobourgeois's post above.

Len

• HollyNeilson Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 2, 2013
    11,293. Mar 5, 2014 1:33 PM (in response to PeaceMom69)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi PeaceMom!

Funny, I am also 44 and doing a C25K program called No Boundaries, managed by our local FleetFeet... 

I understand exactly how you feel, and I have been having the same struggle....  For me it was really starting to get me down that I was always always the last one in my group to finish...  I would try to focus on my own progress instead - and that IS the real measure we should be looking at, the healthiest thinking.... but still that voice in my head wouldnt quite let go of it...

Then I realized early one freezing cold dark Saturday morning in about week 6 that our group was maybe half the size that started in January, and I decided right then and there that no matter what, I wouldnt think of myself as in last place anymore - Every week I am running far out ahead of the 25 people that dropped out and stopped coming, leaving them in my dust...  You are too - and some of them are skinnier than we are!  And if no one dropped out yet, you are still running ahead of all those who didnt even sign up...

Believe me, it takes more guts and mental strength for an overweight person to even show up to a fitness program day after day, week after week than it does for someone who is generally fit and healthy.  I am learning to silence the negative voices, and I have a "no negative talk" rule for myself at bootcamp and at running training... no matter how discouraged I may feel, or frustrated or embarrassed, when asked I look instead for a positive thing I can say about that days workout instead of putting myself down.... sometimes it's just "well, it's better than last weeks"  or "I made it here, I did the workout".... 

• bbee42 Pro 78 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    11,294. Mar 6, 2014 9:08 AM (in response to leobourgeois)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wow that is fantastic!  Great job Leo!

2011 - C25K Graduate!!! (9/17/2011)

2011 - BridgeTo10K - W3 Slacker!

2012 - Started over but didn't finish the C25K program (MAJOR SLACKER!)

2013 - C25K Graduate Again!!! (NEVER GIVE UP!)

2013/9/20 - REV3 Glow Run Branson - Wasn't chip timed but finished in roughly 38 min.

2013 - December 4th - Began 1/2 Marathon Training

2014/3/10 - Kiss Me, I'm Irish 10K - 1:23:32.9 (PR! It counts even if it's my only 10K)

Future Races (Registered):

2014/4/5 - Bentonville Half Marathon!!!!

==========================================================

My running logs: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/506692

My Blog: http://goneafk.tumblr.com

Independent Rep for Isagenix Diet and Healthcare Products: http://bbee42.isagenix.com

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...