Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2139358 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 753 754 755 756 757 ... 760 Previous Next
  • bbee42 Pro 78 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,310. Mar 10, 2014 11:35 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)
    200+ Pound Club!

Great job on the half marathon! 

jgilrdz27 wrote:

Hello everyone.....

Update..... I ran my 2nd 1/2 half marathon this past weekend ( 3-8-14 ) with a time of 2 hours and 32 minutes...  it's about 3-4 minutes slower than my first one back on 2-9-14.  This 1/2 was a little more painful as I decided to do one of  the worst thing a runner can do..... i ran the race with new shoes ( bought them the night before ) .... The weather was cool except for a few showers in the morning as we started the race.  Over all I feel great and very accomplished!!! Looking forward to my next race which is a 5K on 3-15-14....   Keep up the great job everyone!!!! KEEP ON RUNNING KEEP ON LIVING......

J. Gilberto Rodriguez

San Juan, Texas

SJ TX.png

2011 - C25K Graduate!!! (9/17/2011)

2011 - BridgeTo10K - W3 Slacker!

2012 - Started over but didn't finish the C25K program (MAJOR SLACKER!)

2013 - C25K Graduate Again!!! (NEVER GIVE UP!)

2013/9/20 - REV3 Glow Run Branson - Wasn't chip timed but finished in roughly 38 min.

2013 - December 4th - Began 1/2 Marathon Training

2014/3/10 - Kiss Me, I'm Irish 10K - 1:23:32.9 (PR! It counts even if it's my only 10K)

Future Races (Registered):

2014/4/5 - Bentonville Half Marathon!!!!

==========================================================

My running logs: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/506692

My Blog: http://goneafk.tumblr.com

Independent Rep for Isagenix Diet and Healthcare Products: http://bbee42.isagenix.com

• jgilrdz27 Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 7, 2009
    11,311. Mar 10, 2014 11:40 AM (in response to bbee42)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thank you bbee42!!

J. Gilberto Rodriguez

San Juan, Texas

SJ TX.png

Aug 8, 2011
    11,312. Mar 10, 2014 1:04 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Ran my first official 10K race last saturday.  This is a repost of my blog post for it:

"The only thing worse than running in freezing rain... is walking in freezing rain"

That should be self-evident.  But it is a lesson that I hadto learn first-hand a few weeks ago.

I was out in a weekly run for the Bentonville Half Marathon training group that I’m in.  The run was a 7-miler.  The day was particularly dreary.  The sky was grey and overcast.  The temperature was hovering around freezing.

I normally use a wireless headset and listen to music while I run.  Actually, to be more accurate, I use each song that plays as a milestone.  “I’ll run to the end of this song”, and then, “I’ll run to the end of the next song”.  But this day, it looked like it was going to rain, so I left my headset in the car so it wouldn’t get ruined in the rain.

At about 4 miles in, I was miserable.  The route had taken us into an industrial park area with various Wal-Mart buildings (Bentonville is the home of Wal-Mart).  There is nothing particularly scenic about metal buildings, so no pretty scenery to take my mind off running.  And to top it all off… it started raining.

So, I was cold, and wet, and tuneless.  Ugh…   Oh and I stepped in a really big puddle and now my feet are all wet, and freezing.

What did I do?  I stopped running and walked.

"That’ll show em!"

OK.  So now I was cold, and wet, and tuneless…. and I’ve cancelled out the only thing that made it remotely sane to be out in the freezing rain.  I was no longer running.  That’s when the negative self-talk really begins.

"What in the world am I doing out here?"

"Who am I fooling?"

"I don’t belong in this group!"

"Look!  Everyone is passing me.  They are still running.  They are real runners.  You are just a fraud!"

"What was I thinking, signing up for this?  I could be sleeping in my warm bed still…"

"Where is my ^$#%@^ car?"

Oh yeah… my car is 3 miles away.  This is why people say road running is better than track running.  It isn’t because the scenery is better.  That’s just the propaganda.  The real reason is to keep you from giving up in the middle.  Oh, and because there are hills…

So, after about half a mile of walking, I started running again.  It was harder than before.  It generally takes the first mile or so of any run to convince my body that I really am going to keep running and that it had better just get used to it.  Once I get past that two mile mark, it usually gives and and I can get into a zone, but the first couple of miles always suck!  When I give in and stop running in the middle, it is even harder to convince my body that I am going to keep running.  It knows me better than that!

Still, I manage to push through it.  I run from that point on until we finish.  The further I go, the happier I am about it.  I actually intentionally splash through some puddles as I get close to the end.  Why not?  If I’m going to be an idiot out running on a cold and rainy day, I might as well put an exclamation point on it!  By the end, I’m actually feeling pretty good about the run.  I’ve almost forgotten about that dreary walk in the middle.  Almost.

Fast forward to this last Saturday.  It’s the “Kiss Me, I’m Irish” 10K race that we are running in place of our normal half marathon training.  It’s also my first “official” 10K ever.  Oh, and guess what?  It’s cold.  And, it’s threatening to rain… joy.

So, I’m just past the 2 mile mark.  I have spent the first couple of miles with this group of 3 people.  They are apparently on some kind of walk/run schedule.  They run for about a minute.  Then they walk for about a minute.  Rinse and repeat.

I’ve been running the whole time.  So, they walk.  I pass them.  They run.  They pass me.  Then they walk again.  I begin to get the idea that I’ve become their milestone for when they get to walk again.  Ugh!  Do they have any idea how irritating (and depressing) that is?  No.  They are just doing their own thing.  They probably don’t even notice that I’m there.  I sure notice them though…

OK, so I’m off the subject.  Where was I?  Oh yes, the 2 mile mark.  Now… it starts raining.  Not really hard.  Just a few drops here and there.  And enough to mentally take me right back to mile 4 of that 7-mile training run…

I was cold.  I was wet.  Sounds familiar…

I remembered just how much it fun it was to run in the freezing rain.  Not much fun at all.  But, easily 10X more fun that it was to walk in it!

"Stop and walk?  No thanks!  I didn’t come here to walk."

So, I kept running.  I ran the whole race.  I am slow.  I didn’t win any medals.  That wasn’t really ever in question.  I finished 2nd to last in my age group.  Oddly enough, I finished ahead of more men in the younger age group.  Darn those really fit 45-50 year old guys!

It doesn’t matter.  That’s not what I was running for.  My goal was to run from start to finish.  I did that.  It was a good race.  In fact, It was my best (albeit, only) 10K race ever… at least until the next one.

2013/9/20 - REV3 Glow Run Branson - Wasn't chip timed but finished in roughly 38 min.

2014/3/10 - Kiss Me, I'm Irish 10K - 1:23:32.9 (PR! It counts even if it's my only 10K)

Independent Rep for Isagenix Diet and Healthcare Products: http://bbee42.isagenix.com

• CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,313. Mar 10, 2014 1:28 PM (in response to bbee42)
    200+ Pound Club!

Go Bbee: I actually love running in the rain. not freezing rain or a deluge but anywhere from a drizzle to a steady rain. It seems to clean the air. Congrats on your 1st 10K and many many more.

Aug 8, 2011
    11,314. Mar 12, 2014 8:45 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

It's so quiet in here.... where is everyone?

• MichelleJB1966 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 30, 2011
    11,315. Mar 12, 2014 9:08 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey everyone,

New to Active.com so forgive me if I'm not in the right place. I consider myelf a new runner even though I've been doing it for a year or so. I'm just not very consistent. I lost 49 lbs. about 2 years ago and have kept most of it off. Started running to try to lose more but it's very hard. I know the extra weight doesn't help. Still can't run more than 1/4 mile at a time. Does it get easier as the weight comes off? I feel like hippo with legs of lead sometimes ...

Aug 8, 2011
    11,316. Mar 12, 2014 9:58 AM (in response to MichelleJB1966)
    200+ Pound Club!

Welcome Michelle!

Welcome to the group!  I would highly suggest using the couch to 5k program.  It is a weekly program that will push you to gradually increase your distance, but at the same time, give you freedom to repeat weeks as you need to.  It will help you increase that 1/2 mile distance into more.  Also, I personally like the program because there are apps for smartphones and other devices that you can use to queue you when to run, and when to walk.  It makes the program very easy to follow.

Dropping weight does help, but the biggest help comes from consistency.  Try to hit a run at least 3 days a week.  If you maintain that, over time, your distance will definitely increase.

Also make sure you are getting good stretches after your run (at least).  That will help with the "legs of lead".  There are lots of opinions about whether stretching before the run is good.  But just about everyone agrees on the after run stretching. 

One last thing, there is a method of running that is very popular around here called "Chi Running".  It shifts some of the stress of running off of your legs, and can make it a lot more comfortable.  You might check that out as well.

• MichelleJB1966 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 30, 2011
    11,317. Mar 12, 2014 12:20 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks bbee42 for the welcome! I started C25K a year or so ago but never finished. I got to a point where I couldn't keep up and just started doing my own thing. Guess in retrospect I should have kept at it as I haven't seen much improvement for some time. It's also a matter of consistency. I agree it needs to be at least 3x a week. I am currently doing CrossFit 3x a week and even that's hard to fit into my schedule. Plus this cold weather we've had (not used to it here in the South!) didn't help either. Just call me a fair-weather runner! But I am recommitting!

I did a 5k last fall (combination of walking/running) but really want to be able to run the whole way! Some co-workers and I have signed up for a 5k this July  -- Lord help me I know it's going to be 100 degrees. There's that fair-weather runner again! (Hey, I love to run when it's 60-70 degrees! ) That should give me PLENTY of time to be up and RUNNING!

• leobourgeois Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 11, 2011
    11,318. Mar 12, 2014 3:05 PM (in response to Lisa R Johnson)
    200+ Pound Club!

I feel pain in in my knee the next day however it appears that the more I move the better it feels.  Cycling helps quite a bit.

• Fausttt Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2008
    11,319. Mar 13, 2014 4:54 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hello,

I have been on the site a while but I have never looked in the forums.  I have been running off and on for a few years.  I am 6' and, when I began, I was about 330 lbs.  I have always been active and have always done a lot of weights but had never gotten into running.  I started the C25K program to help lose weight.  I could never get past week 5.  I would go strong for a while then have knee or foot problems and stop running for a few months.  I had my gait analyzed, got new shoes, and started again. Again, I would make it to about week 5 (taking about 7 weeks to get there) and get injured and stop.  I signed up for a mud run (a zombie run to be precise) in Oct 2012.  I was determined to get back into running.  Now because I had paid for a race, I felt like I HAD to keep training.  I still never made it through the whole C25K program but since it was a zombie run, it was not a constant 5k run.  It was small sections of running and sprinting between obstacles. I completed the run and became hooked!  It was so much fun!

I was motivated to train more! However, I still had knee and feet problems.  A friend of mine was a barefoot runner and explained to me how, with normal shoes, you tend to heel strike whereas with barefoot you hit the ball of your foot and alleviate some of that impact on your heel and knee.  So I tried it.  I know there is debate and arguments in both camps, barefoot vs normal shoes, but I know it worked for me.  My knee pains and shin splints practically vanished.  My feet pain increased a little but with stretching and feet exercises, I could manage it. After an adjustment period, I was ready to continue my training. I had never completed the C25K program (i still highly recommend it, though) but I used Zombie! Run or just ran on running days and lifted weights on normal days.

Between Oct 2012 and the end of 2013 I did ten races.  All but two were Mud/Zombie runs and all but one were 5ks (one was a 4 mile).  Since I never had to run more than 1/4 mile at a time at those races, I worked on cross training; climbing walls, crawling on my belly, light running, etc. I still couldn't run more than a mile non-stop but I didn't need to.  I was getting a heck of a workout cross training and the mud runs were far more fun than straight running (to me). So for 2014 I decided to challenge myself and sign up for a Tough Mudder.  The 12 mile distance was daunting.  So in Oct 2013 I decided to start running more than a mile at a time.  I started upping my game.  I didn't use any apps (except runkeeper and mapmyrun).  I also signed up for a half-marathon and followed the half marathon training guide.  It sucked royally at first.  My breathing would bother me, my legs would hurt, my feet would get sore.  I would take a rest day, ice up, then do it again.  I began to learn the difference between actual pain and "work-through" pain.  I began listening to my body and resting when needed, and pushing through when I could.  The mileage started adding up.

I did a 14K in feb as a progress check.  While it wasn't the best run (i got a cold the day before) my training up to that point was progressing nicely.  I actually got to where I enjoyed running!  Through this process, I have lost 85 lbs and, as of my last long run, gotten to where I can run 10 miles non-stop!  It is only an 11minute pace, but it is far faster than I used to be able to run.  My half marathon is this weekend.  I nearly broke my toe a couple of weeks back so it still hurts, and my hamstring is a bit tight, so I am going through pre-marathon panic-mode, but I know I will be fine and look forward to the beer afterwards!  I am currently signed up for 8 more runs so far this year.  Mostly mud runs (they are still my favorite) but range from 5k's to 13 miles.

some things I learned:

- take it SLOOW.  I think many of my injuries were from going to fast or working too hard. 

- take rest days

- find the shoes that work for you, they make a huge difference

- use apps! c25k, zombies! run, even runkeeper or map my run. they are just fun and every bit of motivation helps!

- sign up for a race.  ANY race! just put it a few months out.  I found if i paid for a race, I always felt motivated to train for it.

- ignore the first mile.  EVERYTHING complains the first mile (or two for me). Your lungs, legs, feet, and even your head may hurt and tell you that you shouldn't be running.  After the first mile or two, they shut up

- run away from your house.  If i ran around my block, close to my house, i was more inclined to stop running when i was only a little tired.  By running a few miles away, if i got a little tired I was still a couple miles away from home so had at least that much further to run.

- run even when you don't feel like it.  Some days i felt "blah" but still forced myself to run at least a mile or two.  I felt SO much better afterwards.  Often they ended up becoming 3-5 mile runs!

- do what is fun! If straight running isn't your thing, do mud runs.  If theme races make them more interesting to you (costume races, theme raced, etc) do those! whatever makes it more fun for you!

I'm sure there are more but this was off the top of my head!

• michiigrrl Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 14, 2014
    11,320. Mar 18, 2014 10:59 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello All!!! I am new here and new to running altogether! I started the C25K 4 weeks ago (Tomorrow will be my Week 4 Day 2 run). Just wanted some advice regarding injuries for those of us who are over 200 lbs. I was at 230 lbs when I started week one. I honestly have NO idea how much I weigh today because scales are evil . I have not weighed myself since I started but my clothes aren't fitting anymore so I'm sure I have made some big changes weight-wise. It's interesting because i have been struggling with both shin splints and runners knee (BOTH LEGS and BOTH KNEES). I have some wonderful friends and co-workers that are experienced runners and even track coaches and I have recieved a LOT of advice about proper shoes and running surfaces. I am still trying to find out what is right for me. I'm just a little worried that being overweight and running long distances is putting extra pressure on my joints and bones. Does that make sense? Just worried that I am doing damage to my body or that I'm on the verge of a worse injury!

Any advice is much appreciated!!

M

• JohnBradley3 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 2, 2012
    11,321. Mar 19, 2014 7:44 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello Everyone,

I remember reading this thread in September of 2012 when starting the C25K at 42 years of age and 344 pounds.  I complete the C25K in November of that year, and ran the Feaster Five on Thanksgiving Day (well, half-run, half-walk) in over 46 minutes, and my weight was around 320 pounds on race day.

Over 18 months later, I am now 250 pounds, and ran a 5K this past Sunday in 30:22.  Two days later, I was able to do a five mile morning run in 55 minutes.  I've pushed myself as far as 10+ miles on a couple of occasions.

My goal is to get to 225 pounds, and run sub-28 5K and sub-50 5 mile races.  I learned two important things during this time.  The first is to be patient with results.  For me, there was no quick fix, and I had to come to terms with that reality.  The second is that I went from saying the usual, "I need to do this for my family, etc", to the selfish reason of, "I really want to live longer - live long enough to see my child marry, and enjoy life as long as possible."

I just wanted to post this to possibly have someone read it, like I did when I first started running, and realize that it is "do-able" - as well as thank you for the motivation.

JB

Dec 7, 2009
    11,322. Mar 19, 2014 7:52 AM (in response to JohnBradley3)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congratulations John B.... Great work!!

• JillianSholl Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 5, 2014
    11,323. Mar 19, 2014 6:13 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Everyone. I am new here. I started running in January. I started couch to 5 k then but due to freezing tempatures and lots of snow and having a hard time getting to a treadmill. I had also been sick a few times so until a month ago I was running once to twice a week but now I am going 3 times. I am on week 7 of the program.  I still walk quite a bit but have noticed that my walking pace has increased. I have my first 5k March 29th. I am glad I have found this forum. I wanted to start running years ago but was always afraid to tell anyone. Now I tell everyone(even people I don't know) and everyone has been supportive. I get to do the 5k with 2 of my sisters who run. They are doing this race because I asked them too! I'm very excited about all of this.

Dec 7, 2009
    11,324. Mar 20, 2014 6:38 AM (in response to JillianSholl)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congrats on your progress Jillian Sholl!!! Please keep us posted on your 5K on the 29th.....

J. Gilberto Rodriguez

SJ TX.png

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...