Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

235 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 19, 2014 8:02 AM by BOSNPM RSS
John425 Pro 184 posts since
May 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 18, 2014 8:04 PM

Dynamic warm up versus stretching

I've got a half dozen full marathons behind me already.  I was reading about the advantages of warming up before the race and the positive effect it has on performance.  What I am wondering is doesn't that have a detrimental effect on endurance?  I set the alarm for 3am so I can replenish carbs lost during sleep and I try to be at the start at 5 for a 6 to 6:30 start.  Plenty of time to get in a warm up.  But, although I always finish well I also always slam into the bricks somewhere between mile 20 and 24.  Wouldn't warming up before a marathon waste carbs and push the wall back to, say, mile 18 or so?

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 19, 2014 8:02 AM (in response to John425)
    Dynamic warm up versus stretching

I am no expert!  The shorter the race the more important a warm up is.  For a marathon the walking up to the start plus a few strides around pace is all I do.  For a 1/2 or shorter I  run 1-2 miles some 5K's I may run 3 or more.  But I always do dynamics before I run!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points