Skip navigation

165 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 21, 2014 11:47 AM by Chris1439 RSS
TylerWolfe1 Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 9, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 17, 2014 12:27 PM

Best book on nutrition?

I am looking for a basic, comprehendable, and good book on nutrition. I am training for a half marathon for the spring and a full in the fall and am trying to understand nutrition better.

To be clear, I am looking for something that is going to explain different types of carbs, caleries, fats; and how our bodies process it. I need something very basic!

• Chris1439 Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 5, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 21, 2014 11:47 AM (in response to TylerWolfe1)
    Re: Best book on nutrition?

In a new book titled, “Fueling For Peak Performance”, Nina Anderson SPN, discusses why endurance athletes need to incorporate mineral replacement into their diets. According to Nina, “as the heart rate increases, oxygen and nutrient delivery to the muscles can drop 10% even with mild exercise.”

Water losses equal to 2% of our body weight and will impact heat regulation. At a 3% loss in body water, there is a decrease in muscle cell contraction times. When fluid losses equal 4% of body weight, there is a 5-10% drop in overall performance which can last up to four hours.

Most athletes also need to be aware that along with fluids, electrolytes and essential minerals are depleted as well. Mineral replacement is essential to helping restore proper blood volume and blood sugar levels, and is necessary for enzymatic reactions that promote proper blood volume. Without them the quality of performance during long-term or explosive short-term exercise declines.

More information is discussed on this blog as well as information on how to find this book visit:

http://www.enduropacks.com/blogs/news/13016069-how-dehydration-affects-the-endurance-athlete

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...