Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

340 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2014 10:07 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
ksvrdh Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 17, 2014 6:23 PM

Is some pain in a healed fracture area normal?

I broke my tibia in a half marathon back in November.

I played by the rules. Let it heal. Started with the run/walk...

Ran a 3-4 miler a couple of times...just ran a 10k yesterday.

No pain while running....a little sore after. Still a little sore today.

Is that normal? Taking a day or two off regardless...I work in dentistry and have found

That bones can ache up to a year after extractions...

I'm wondering if this is similar.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Mar 17, 2014 6:36 PM (in response to ksvrdh)
    Is some pain in a healed fracture area normal?

"The acute pain that you may have felt immediately after the injury will decrease with time, but in the weeks after your fracture, some pain may continue and this is called sub-acute pain. This is mainly because the lack of movement that was necessary to help your bone heal has caused the soft tissue around the injury to stiffen and the muscles to weaken. In addition, scarring and ongoing inflammation may have developed in the soft tissue while the fracture was healing, which can also make movement difficult and cause pain."

From the article http://www.osteoporosis.ca/after-the-fracture/general-information-about-pain-after-a-fracture/

Len

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    2. Mar 25, 2014 10:07 PM (in response to ksvrdh)
    Re: Is some pain in a healed fracture area normal?

Yes, it's normal, as you suspected. I broke my tibia and fibula in a motorcycle accident when I was 18, and despite my youth, it took years for the pain to completely disappear after it healed. As Len's excerpt states, there was severe muscle atrophy in the affected leg. It took a long time to equalize the strength in my legs, not only because of the atrophy, but because the unaffected leg was greatly strengthened by walking on crutches. Bear this inequality in mind as you continue to train, because maladaptations due to injury can persist for ages, and often create new problems of their own. You will eventually get over it in time, but I would recommend targeted physical therapy to retrain the injured leg as soon as possible.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points