Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2083992 Views 11,393 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2014 1:48 PM by CraigGinman RSS Go to original post 1 ... 754 755 756 757 758 ... 760 Previous Next
  • MaryEllenCassady Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 12, 2014
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,325. Mar 20, 2014 7:01 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi!  My name is Mary Ellen and I am just getting started.  I think it is fair to say that I will have to walk-run-walk at first, but I hope to build up to running.  Does anyone have work outs that they can suggest for beginning runners?  I have never been a runner, even when I was young.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

• JillianSholl Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 5, 2014
    11,326. Mar 20, 2014 7:34 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)
    200+ Pound Club!

Jgilrdz27 I will let you know how I do!

Mary Ellen. I have been using couch to 5k. I have the app on my phone. It starts off where you jog for a minute and walk for a minute and a half. Each week it increases. I'm on week 7 and it says to jog 25 minutes. Now I still have to walk some but each time I try to go longer and longer before walking for a few. On Tuesday I went 10 minutes and today I went 16!! After that I just alternate walking and jogging. Once I start walking I have a hard time jogging for very long.

• mattbert777 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 20, 2014
    11,327. Mar 20, 2014 8:28 AM (in response to michiigrrl)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi there-

I'm a 210 lb runner, and started running in April 2011 weighing 228 at age 42.   I dropped as low as 192 lbs, but, built up muscle in my legs, and, am now at 210 but look much better.  I'd love to lose 15-20 lbs in my midsection, but, I think that will require some more precise/careful dieting, which I'd probably attempt to do by decreasing carbs (but maintaining the right kind for energy while running, and increasing protein.) Being middle-age, I think I have to give myself a bit of grace in this department!

What I noticed when I started running was more knee pain, some hip flexor/IT band issues, and even wore a bit of a brace on one of my knees for a while.   For myself, I did overcome a lot of these aches and pains by continuing to run.   That being said, you also need to play it safe, and you will come to know your body better the more running you do, so, you will know whether the pain is a "don't run on me" type pain versus something you can run through.

Many people recommend maintaining a shorter stride length, which is what many people do in ultra running - so, it almost resembles more of a fast walk.   That will keep your calories burning so you're losing weight, but, will reduce the impact on your joints until you get lighter.   Like many other people emphasize, look at your shoes, it will make a huge difference.   I've been replacing mine at about 300-350 miles on average, and have settled into a pair of Saucony Stabil's, which have a pretty large sole on them, but, has all but removed any joint pain.    There is also a newer brand that ultrarunners have liked quite a bit, called Hoka One One's.   I'm not sure if there is a local store to me that has them, but, I know they're available online.   I should be fine with my present shoes until my birthday in July, and, I might give a pair of those a shot.   I understand they're not cheap, but, to keep you comfortable, help you stay in shape, and improve your times, I don't see a downside.

For myself, a lot of it has been sticking to a plan (any plan), and being consistent. This has been a brutal winter, and, even going to the gym to work out on a treadmill has been tough.   That, coupled with colds, has made for a nasty combination.

Since April 2011 when I started running, I've been averaging about 800-900 miles a year, which, for me, isn't bad.   I've been blessed to run 4 5K's and a 10K in 2011, 5 half marathons and 2 marathons in 2012, and a 10K, half marathon, and 3 marathons last year.   This year, I did an indoor marathon in January, which was tough because of the dry air.  I signed up for a half in June, and a marathon in October.   If I can drop some pounds, and the race is open, I'd maybe give a 50K a try in August.

I just do it because I can at this point.  I'm not a fast running -- my PR on a marathon was 4:57, with most of my other times being 5:30.  So, I'm going it because it motivates me to keep running.

All I can say is to keep at it, and, if you're concerned, get a blessing from your doctor on a particular issue you might be having.

Just my opinions -- not medical advice -- best wishes to you,

Mattbert

• bbee42 Pro 78 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    11,328. Mar 20, 2014 8:58 AM (in response to MaryEllenCassady)
    200+ Pound Club!

Welcome MaryEllen and also Jillian!  Always great to have new people join in.

MaryEllenCassady wrote:

Hi!  My name is Mary Ellen and I am just getting started.  I think it is fair to say that I will have to walk-run-walk at first, but I hope to build up to running.  Does anyone have work outs that they can suggest for beginning runners?  I have never been a runner, even when I was young.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

MaryEllen:

The best thing I can recommend is to follow the Couch to 5K program.  It is perfect for someone who is just starting out.  It starts with more walking than running, and progresses to a full 5K run in about 9 weeks.  You can go at your own pace, so you can do the complete program in 9 weeks, or you can take as much time on each "week" of the program as you like.  The workout is part of the active.com community.  You can find the workout plan here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/

Also if you have a smart phone or ipod touch, you can download trainers to it.  They will tell you when to walk and when to run.  It's a very handy tool.  There are various apps available on the app stores, and also one that is sold on the site.

2011 - C25K Graduate!!! (9/17/2011)

2011 - BridgeTo10K - W3 Slacker!

2012 - Started over but didn't finish the C25K program (MAJOR SLACKER!)

2013 - C25K Graduate Again!!! (NEVER GIVE UP!)

2013/9/20 - REV3 Glow Run Branson - Wasn't chip timed but finished in roughly 38 min.

2013 - December 4th - Began 1/2 Marathon Training

2014/3/10 - Kiss Me, I'm Irish 10K - 1:23:32.9 (PR! It counts even if it's my only 10K)

Future Races (Registered):

2014/4/5 - Bentonville Half Marathon!!!!

==========================================================

My running logs: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/506692

My Blog: http://goneafk.tumblr.com

Independent Rep for Isagenix Diet and Healthcare Products: http://bbee42.isagenix.com

• DouglasRuegger Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 20, 2014
    11,329. Mar 21, 2014 9:18 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I see that I am a bit behind on this string! I think this is a great forum and needs to be started back up! My name is Doug, I retired from the Navy in Dec 2012 and I haven't been below 200 pounds since I wrestled 198lbs in high school! I am tipping the scale close at 260 now and I will be running the Salt Lake Marathon on the 19th of April! I am excited, scared, and motivated all in one. Wideguy if you are still around let's get this thread rolling!

Sincerly,

Doug

aka Rhino

• bbee42 Pro 78 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    11,330. Mar 21, 2014 9:37 AM (in response to DouglasRuegger)
    200+ Pound Club!

DouglasRuegger wrote:

I see that I am a bit behind on this string! I think this is a great forum and needs to be started back up! My name is Doug, I retired from the Navy in Dec 2012 and I haven't been below 200 pounds since I wrestled 198lbs in high school! I am tipping the scale close at 260 now and I will be running the Salt Lake Marathon on the 19th of April! I am excited, scared, and motivated all in one. Wideguy if you are still around let's get this thread rolling!

Sincerly,

Doug

aka Rhino

Wow!  Way to make me feel like a slacker for being around 260 and just now running my first half! 

Just kidding (mostly lol).  Congrats and good luck to you!

2011 - C25K Graduate!!! (9/17/2011)

2011 - BridgeTo10K - W3 Slacker!

2012 - Started over but didn't finish the C25K program (MAJOR SLACKER!)

2013 - C25K Graduate Again!!! (NEVER GIVE UP!)

2013/9/20 - REV3 Glow Run Branson - Wasn't chip timed but finished in roughly 38 min.

2013 - December 4th - Began 1/2 Marathon Training

2014/3/10 - Kiss Me, I'm Irish 10K - 1:23:32.9 (PR! It counts even if it's my only 10K)

Future Races (Registered):

2014/4/5 - Bentonville Half Marathon!!!!

==========================================================

My running logs: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/506692

My Blog: http://goneafk.tumblr.com

Independent Rep for Isagenix Diet and Healthcare Products: http://bbee42.isagenix.com

• ChaiKitty77 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 12, 2008
    11,331. Mar 25, 2014 12:35 PM (in response to bbee42)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone,

Just did W1D1 of the C25K program.  That program first got me into running about 10 years ago (eek!  how time flies).  Although I kept with running for a long time, my career has gotten in the way of my health -- including the dreaded onslaught of sitting all day at a desk (ugh!).  I've now decided to take my health back.

Step 1.  2 weeks ago:  Converted sitting desk to a standing desk (only cost $26, why didn't I do this sooner?!)

Step 2.  1 week ago:  Bike the 1.2mi to work instead of driving

Step 3.  This week:  Start running again

Again, it's been quite some time since I've been a runner.  I noticed during my run that certain tendons / ligaments in my knees seemed a little more irritated by this first run (just as mattbert777 mentioned in his post).  I'm going to chalk that up to age and being over-weight.  I've got at least 60lbs to lose, so I'm focusing on a plant-based diet with few processed foods. 

Reading all of the feedback from eveyone else on this thread is motivating.  It's nice to know I'm not alone in my "I don't want to be fast, I just want to be a runner" goal.  Anyway, I hope to join this thread and post semi-regular updates.  I think it's something that will keep me going. 

• KSassie Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 28, 2014
    11,332. Mar 28, 2014 7:31 AM (in response to bbee42)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks! That's a great idea!

Haven't been able to get on here in a while. I'm working 2 jobs right now. 60+hrs a week total, plus I a have a 16mo daughter. It's all quite a balancing act. It has gotten in the way of my running. I just finally finished week 2. I have about 8 weeks to go. I'm trying to say no more to things that don't matter or that other people can do and make myself important. If I don't take care of me, I won't be able to take care of others.

• JillianSholl Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 5, 2014
    11,333. Mar 29, 2014 11:34 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Today I ran my first 5k race!!! I was only able to do one run this week to prepare and I'm still only at week 8 on c25k. I have gotten to the point of 1.5miles without stopping to walk. I did a lot of visualization of running the whole thing. I had a goal of finishing in 45 minutes. I was starting to struggle about half way and told myself 2 miles before walking well I did end up doing the whole thing running and not walking!!!! My sister who ran with me really helped and my time was 47:52! Just thought I would share.

• ChaiKitty77 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 12, 2008
    11,334. Mar 29, 2014 4:10 PM (in response to JillianSholl)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congrats, Jillian!!  That's wonderful you finished so close to your goal.   

• jgilrdz27 Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 7, 2009
    11,335. Mar 31, 2014 12:01 PM (in response to JillianSholl)
    200+ Pound Club!

WAY TO GO JILLIAN!!!!   Keep up the great work!!

• BreezyB24 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 1, 2012
    11,336. Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi! New to the thread and just wanted to say that out of the few posts I have read everyone seems really supportive! I currently weigh in at 236 lbs (yikes!) the heaviest I have ever been and I also recently started the C25K app and I am on week 3 (for the second time). I have signed up for the color run in May, which is a super fun 5k, and I would like to run the whole thing, but the pace that I am currently on I am not sure if that is going to happen, but I am still going to try! I will let everyone know how it goes!

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,337. May 8, 2014 10:21 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Rejoining this group figuratively and literally...

I see it has been almost exactly two months since I last posted, geez, time flys even when you aren't having much fun. 

A quick recap for those of you who've joined over the last couple of months:

• April 2013: The fat 55 year old man looking at me in the mirror told me to get my backside off the sofa and start running again; I'm 5' 8" in height, and at the time I was somewhere north of 250 pounts.  How far north?  I'll never know.  Why?  Because as was recently pointed out, scales are evil.
    • May 2013: After managing 40 miles for the entire month of April, I was able to bump that to 54 miles in May, that and I ran/walked a 5K in about 45 minutes.
    • June 2013: In an effort to force myself to keep my pace slow enough to avoid injury, I tried running between 5 and 6 days per week; I logged 136 miles for the month and my weight had come down to about 230.
    • July 2013: In keeping with the whole "keep it slow and keep it consistent" thing, I managed to run 28 days in July with a 16 day streak, probably the longest of my life.  In the end I logged 218 miles for the month, by far the most for any one month in my life.
    • August 2013: I missed only one day in August, and that was the day before my first ever 10 mile race.  I set two "old man" PRs of sorts, I recorded a 25:20 5K early in the month (my first 5K since 1979), and then surprised even myself with a 1:25:06 time in the 10-miler.  Total miles for the month was 254.
    • September 2013: I only ran 26 days for a total of 208 miles, but had some significant accomplishments none-the-less.  Early in the month I lowered my "old man" 5K time to 23:39, and then mid-month I got recruited at the very last minute to run with an "Ultra" team for the Reach the Beach - NH relay, and ended up running 32.8 miles in about 26 hours; by far the most I'd ever run in such a short span of time.
    • October 2013: My "days running" stat dropped again, this time to 24 days, but I did manage to log 227 miles.
    • November 2013: Weather and travel not withstanding, I logged 235 miles and recorded a 48:24 on a snowy/slippery course; my first 10K since 1991.
    • December 2013: Another 24 running day month, this time with no races for a total of 232 miles.
    • January 2014: I participated in a New Year's day "Gravity Assisted" 1-mile race; my first race of that distance since 1975; yikes!  I managed to cross the line in 5:50, yes, Gravity Assist (i.e. more downhill than uphill) does help.  January mileage accumulation started slow, but by week 2 the weather got cold enough to allow me to run on nice firm packed snowmobile trails and log 254 miles, tied with last August for the most miles I've ever logged in a month.  Another milestone for the month, I dropped below 190 pounds for the first time since I suffered a badly broken leg back in 2003.
    • February 2014: February had some weather issues forcing me off the trails and onto the roads, and wouldn't you know it, running on the hard pavement generated a hip injury.  I didn manage to top 200 miles for the 8th consecutive month, but at 204 miles, just barely.
    • March 2014: Ahhh, well, easy come, easy go.  Between two road trips, my hip injury, and lots of intermittent mud and ice on the trails, I only logged 108 miles for the month and my weight ballooned back up to over 200 pounds (road trips mean no running and lots of eating out, and eat I did, as if I was still logging an average of 50 miles per week).  I managed to get things back on track during the last week and a half of March, and even logged a 13:49 in a timed 2-Mile in spite of my sore hip.
    • April 2014: Back up over 200 miles for the month (just barely), and back under 200 pounds (also just barely).  My rolling year mileage total from May 2013 to April 2014 was just over 2,300 miles, a total which obliterated my best previous 12-month period of 700 miles (done back in 1979).
    • May 2014: I ran my first 5K since last September and, in spite of the drop in my training miles and my weight gain, I managed to break 22:00 for the first time since 1979.  For my 57th birthday next week I'm running another 5K and hope to go down into the mid 21 minute range. 

The last year has been quite a journey.  I firmly believe the principal reasons I've been able to make so much progress in only a year have to do with the fact that better than 80% of my training runs have been on dirt (or snow, or mud), and forcing myself to train lots of miles at a very slow pace.

• KelleyB36 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 12, 2012
    11,338. May 14, 2014 5:26 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey everyone, so cool to find this group. I have been running for a couple years. I used C25K to get going and ran a few 5Ks last year. I couldnt seem to drop weight and my last DR appt in January I was 293. I decided to change my diet and stopped eating all grains, sugar and processed foods and I am down 40 lbs since 2/26. This morning I weighed in at 248. I am excited and my journey with running has been full of heartbreak and now joy as I just finished my first 5 mile run on Saturday followed by my fasted 5k on Mothers Day (Sunday). All Glory to God for keeping me motivated to be healthy and feel good! Looking forward to hearing all of your stories!!

• BadYogi Rookie 1 posts since
    May 14, 2014
    11,339. May 14, 2014 3:32 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Folks,

So, at 57, 5' 11" & 330 or so (probably definitely "so"), and really feeling the weight, I'm going to give it a try. I'm doing light yoga 2x/week and that's going great for flexibility and discipline (as in, I actually have to show up or pay anyway, lol), and want to get back to feeling strong and move well. I have no illusions about the time it will take (ok, maybe a few illusions) or that I will need to keep it up. I was a competitive figure skater in HS, ranked tennis player in my 20's, and now I just want to be able to run a 5K with my daughter and dog and not feel like I'm going to die. So, C25K it is. Since I'm in SoCal, the treadmill will have to give up being a clothes hanger for a big part of the summer.

Any tips from the big men?

Stay well, all. I can't wait to get to know you.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...