Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

227 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 11:28 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
AaronSchaad Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 10, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 6, 2014 5:51 PM

Foot Bone Bruise

Was diagnosed with a deep bone bruise in 5th metatarsal, or on outside of right foot over 4 weeks ago, X-rays showed nothing broken. Original injury happened over 6 weeks ago from what I'm pretty sure was running on concrete outdoors for first time since last fall in shoes that were way past needing replaced. I've been in a a walking boot for the last 4 weeks off and on, more off lately. Latest orders were to take 3-4 weeks completely off from running an build back up after that. I've been good about staying off of it running wise when told to, am just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and a timeframe for your recovery? Thanks.

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    1. Apr 8, 2014 12:25 PM (in response to AaronSchaad)
    Foot Bone Bruise

Definitive diagnosis of bone bruise requires diagnostic imaging beyond radigraphs either a CAT scan or MRI.  I would question the healthcare provider are you sure this is bone bruise or could it be a tendon problem?  If it truly is a bone bruise 6 to 8 weeks of rest is appropriate and 12 weeks is not out of the question, but pain is not a sufficient criteria to conclude there is a bone bruise, diagnostic images (CAT scan or MRI) are requires.  When you are released to shoe make sure the are the appropriate width.  If you feet are wide a standard running shoe is likely not wide enough.  The standard width for ladies running shoes is B and mens running shoes is D.  Ask shoe sales person to measure the width of your feet.  When you are released to run the question that still needs to be considered is why it only happen on one foot and not both.

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS

www.damienhowellpt.com

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,153 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    2. Apr 9, 2014 11:28 AM (in response to AaronSchaad)
    Re: Foot Bone Bruise

Yes I agree with the above that the one-sided thing is important. So many factors involved though, shoes, surface, loss of fitness in your downtime leading up. Add to that course gradients like the side of a road, etc.

One thing I would like to contribute here is anecdotal, but may be important. First, many people have one foot that is wider than the other. I once read that the right foot is often larger than the left, and some shoes may be made to account for this. Several years ago I bought a set of Brooks shoes that pinched in one foot early on, so I placed the soles against each other and measured nearly a quarter-inch difference in width between right and left. I was sure this was either a mismatched set, or a manufacturing defect, so I returned them for another pair. When I got home, I found the same pinching problem and measured to find the replacement pair was exactly the same as the first, with one wider than the other, apparently by design. I suppose this would be OK if my feet were wider to match, but it wasn't the case for me. It might be for others, though, and yet another reason why the same shoe can be loved and hated by different people. Just another thought to consider. Good luck with your healing, and please ease into your game, better prepared next time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...