Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4135 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2014 9:49 PM by judi811 RSS
NeverTooLate62 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 10, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 11, 2014 3:27 AM

C25K Week one done but . . . Need HELP!!

Hi all - my name is Tom and I am just starting out as the title implies. I am 62 and I am not sure if I am just looking for some words of encouragement or what. Here is what I have done this first week

Monday - First day of program and could only "run" (sloppy jog) for two of the scheduled times

Tuesday - walked for thirty minutes

Wednesday - I was able to complete 6 of the runs and only by doing the last one when I should have been in my cool down.

Thursday - Walked for thirty minutes - In the afternoon I went to the local running store and bought my first pair of shoes

Friday - I barely made it through 4 of the sloppy jog sessions and now I have two 50 pound legs

I am feeling very frustrated but not enough to give up. Does anyone think that I should just try to repeat week one for next week? If I can't do the 8 one minute runs - how the heck am I going to do more that the second week is asking for? Any suggestions or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I really want to do this but my legs are screaming at me right now.

Oh yea - I am also doing this at the same "scheduled time" each day. I am a morning person so I am getting up a half hour earlier each day (4:20 am) and doing the routine from 4:30 to 5:00. This leaves me plenty of time to make lunch, shower etc. before going to work.

Thanks for being here - I need all the help I can get.

Tom

• picturelady5 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 29, 2014
    1. Apr 12, 2014 7:25 AM (in response to NeverTooLate62)
    Re: C25K Week one done but . . . Need HELP!!

Congratulations for getting through week one!  I think the hardest part is getting started, and you've done that!  If you need to repeat the first week, then do.  You are only working for yourself.  Any progress is good.  Don't stop now!  It will get easier! 

• Haselsmasher Legend 513 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    2. Apr 13, 2014 2:15 PM (in response to NeverTooLate62)

Congrats for starting!  That's a huge step.

If your real intent is a long term change - then taking an extra week or two (or eight) to complete the program is, essentially, nothing.  So, yes, IMHO if a week is too challenging then just repeat it.  I think that's fine.

Also, are you sure you're not pushing yourself too hard during the run?  I'm not saying they should be easy - but some folks that are starting often do the run too quickly - and then get out of breath.  A rule of thumb often used is that, if someone were with you on the run, you'd be able to (probably barefly) speak in a conversation.  If you're gasping so much that you couldn't fathom doing that then you're going too fast - so you should slow down.  Don't worry about what speed is needed to get you to that level of breathing.  I'd have to go back and read the C25K details, but I think it says the goal is to get you to run 5K *or* 30 min in (however many) weeks. 

I say just keep chipping away at it.  One of things I'll think you'll find is that sometime down the road - probably even in 2-4 weeks - you'll be finding yourself struggling with the next level of effort and realize you can now do fairly easily what a few weeks back was almost impossible.  And that phenomenon will continue.  :-)

Good luck!

Jim

P.S.:  I think doing the program at the same time is wise.  It helps establish a habit.  Get it done before other activities potentially mess up the day.  That's how I've always done it.

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• MiscMe Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 11, 2014
    3. Apr 15, 2014 10:06 AM (in response to NeverTooLate62)

I'm just starting, too, and certainly no expert!  But I wonder if it would be best to actually take those days of rest in between your training days to let your legs rest.  ?  Surely someone else who knows will chime in.

In past, I'd always pushed too hard and kept busy every day - only to burn out.  This time I'm going to take those rest days and see if it makes a difference! 

• Randy Mrock Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 3, 2013
    4. Apr 19, 2014 12:52 PM (in response to NeverTooLate62)

Hello Tom,

I did the C25k program last winter/spring (2013) at age 54, when I hit a weight I was entirely uncomfortable with ( shocked actually!). When I started, I couldn't do the 60 second runs, even a single one!  I repeated week one, repeated week 2, but things got easier after that. The aches and pains go away after a few weeks, but those days off are needed! 

I did 5 miles this morning......

• JoySims Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 9, 2010
    5. Apr 23, 2014 7:16 AM (in response to NeverTooLate62)

When I started running a few years ago, I diligently used the C25K program.  I, too, had trouble getting through the runs at the beginning.  I had a running coach who suggested that I stay on each week until I was able to complete the runs assigned.  In the end, it took me about 5 months to get through the whole "9 weeks" but I was super pleased with and proud of my results.  To echo what's already been said, so much congratulations for starting.  You're a rockstar!!

• ActivelyHappy Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 2, 2013
    6. Apr 23, 2014 7:47 AM (in response to NeverTooLate62)

Sorry for the late reply. Hopefully you are still in the run!

I started to pick up running last summer and also used the C25K program. In the beginning, I could hardly run or jog 1 minute without stopping. But I was determined and committed. In October, I ran my first 5K race. So it can be done. My tips are (1) Do not give up. Be consistent and be persistent! (2) Learn the technique... I first thought running is just running, but when I found myself gasping for air and my legs feeling like heavy metals, I knew I must not be doing it right. So I searched on youtube and watched quite a few training videos about how to breath and how to position arms and legs. That really help. I ran slowly at first to make sure I applied those techniques until they became natural. (3) You could repeat week 1 or week 2 or 3 for however long you want. You set your own goal. There is no competition. You are just competing with your own goals. (4) Don't give yourself excuse and take too many rest days in between. Experts may disagree. I am just a novice but my experience tells me it's better to get moving every day. Even only run/jog 1.5 miles or for 20 minutes is better than not doing it at all. I would like to limit myself to only 1 rest day each week and usually the following day it will be a longer run. Yes, you may feel a bit pain in your muscle but that's exactly meaning the muscle is getting stronger and you will be able to run longer and faster.

The hardest thing to do is to get up from the couch and get active. You already accomplished that!! So now jjust keep doing it. Your body will thank you!

• iamloved22 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    7. Apr 30, 2014 4:07 AM (in response to NeverTooLate62)

Being on the schedule is a wonderful idea, it trains your body to expect that exercise every day. I would repeat week 1, SLOW DOWN it will feel like you are barely above a walk but you will be able to finish each run. Also run by time not distance at this point. And keep up the great work! Walking on your off day's is wonderful!

• DanaReneeH Amateur 8 posts since
    Sep 25, 2013
    8. Apr 30, 2014 5:22 AM (in response to NeverTooLate62)

I completed C25k last fall.  There were several weeks I had to repeat just because I knew I wasn't ready for the next.  Don't beat yourself up about it.  You will get there. 

• judi811 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2014
    9. Jul 9, 2014 9:49 PM (in response to NeverTooLate62)

I am also a new runner (just under 5 months) and I am soon to be 64. I started running with my 24 yo daughter (waaay not near equal or fair!). I started with a program similar to C25K. When I started I could not jog the full minute and it took me a solid 3 minutes to catch my breath. My problem was the C25K jumped in run time too fast for me. I even altered my program when it began to jump from 4 min. run time one week to 6 the next. So, I made it work for me. I simply have consistently added 1 min run time (still using 1 min walk/recovery) each week and stayed with 4 repetitions. In this way I slowly increase my run time endurance and my distance. I am now at 12 min. run times. Still giving myself that 1 min walk. The 12 minutes is just barely under 1 mile. My daughter is using the same schedule. We rarely get to run together (she lives in different town), but we talk or text our run experience routinely. We have our 3rd 5K scheduled in Sept. I am no one to be giving advice (I am way too new at this running thing) but you may want to modify things, just keep adding one minute to your run time each week. I found it doable. And most improtantly, I feel successful. You see, I HATE running! So at the very least I have to feel successful. I am one of those people who feel that if I am not going to win, I don't want to play the game! I have slowly gone from struggling to jog for 50 seconds to running for a mile without stopping. Other people here are faster, progressing faster, but I am competing with me and I feel pretty good about where I am at. Modify your program to work for you and you will end each run feeling successful, not defeated. Stick with it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...