Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

243 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2014 6:26 AM by KMHJacobs
KMHJacobs Rookie 2 posts since
May 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 16, 2014 6:26 AM

Seeking Advice on shin splints

I am currently training for a half marathon and have come down with shin splints. I have been a distance runner for about four years and have run half marathons and a full marathon so I am not new to long distances. I think I came down with them from over training a couple weeks back and upping my miles too fast. I ran with the pain once and then decided it would be better to rest. I stopped running for a week, I foam roll, ice, use ibuprofen, and kinesiology tape. After resting a week they felt better so I ran 3 miles yesterday (on a treadmill and at a  slower pace) with my leg wrapped for extra support. I didn't have pain like I did last week but it did feel slightly uncomfortable and I am experiencing pain again today. I know I should probably rest again but my half is in six weeks and am worried about missing training. I am looking for advice about running through the pain or resting and if I rest another week how I could go about getting back to my half training without upping my miles too quick and risk getting the shin splint back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am feeling very discouraged right now.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points