Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

298 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2014 1:50 PM by lenzlaw
Pgh Rob Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 19, 2014 7:29 AM

Need help.  Retrocalcaneal bursitis - change shoes?

I love my Brooks Pure Connects (small heel drop) and have used them for the last 3 yrs with no problems.  However, I ran my last 20 mi training run for the Pittsburgh marathon last weekend (brand new pair) and developed retrocalcaneal bursitis.  I haven't run since, but would like to try in a couple days.  I'm not sure if I should change shoes now - all my training has been done in the Pure Connect.  Any advice?  Pgh marathon is in 2 weeks.  My last pair of Pure Connects (that gave me no problem) have 300 mi (my upper limit for that shoe).  Not sure what to do.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 19, 2014 10:15 AM (in response to Pgh Rob)
    Need help. Retrocalcaneal bursitis - change shoes?

Whether you should run or not is something you'll have to figure out depending on the severity of your injury and how well you recover.  Just one question though.  What makes you think the shoes caused the problem?

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Apr 19, 2014 1:50 PM (in response to Pgh Rob)
    Need help. Retrocalcaneal bursitis - change shoes?

I once had an injury on my last long run, missed most of the last three weeks, but ran the marathon OK.  Admittedly a little slower than hoped as I was being conservative.  So I wouldn't push to get back if I were you.  Of course the other question is whether you have a different shoe to fall back on, that is also marathon worthy.  Sometimes these things just happen.  Maybe you landed on a stone or something, or you got tired and sloppy with your stride.  It seems more than a little strange that a new pair of the same shoe would cause such a problem.  Maybe if the new ones are an update with some changes.  Not exactly what I would recommend but maybe the old pair will go another 26 miles.  Tough call.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points