Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

269 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 25, 2014 4:25 PM by lenzlaw
RottieToTheCore Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 7, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 25, 2014 2:46 PM

First Marathon training question

Hello,

I will be running the NYC Marathon this year....my first ever.  I really only began running a year ago, so this is all still pretty new to me, but I'm getting ready to run my 7th Half Marathon next month.  Here is my question.  I realize that I will have to bump up my weekly mileage as well as my long run distances in order to prepare.  As of now, I have no problem with doing  a ten mile run every week or so as part of my training.  Most beginner marathon programs I've looked at begin with much shorter distances in the early weeks and gradually build up.  Do I have to scale all the way down when I first begin my official training, or san I start from where I am now?  I'm afraid if. Scale too far back I'll lose whatever progress I've made so far.

Thank you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points